The Titian Committee

by Iain Pears | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingNu-Kneeswing of Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on 5/22/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingNu-Kneeswing from Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 22, 2010
After enjoying Giotto's Hand, I added more of Iain Pears' Art History Mysteries to my Wish List, so was delighted to find this one (and Death and Restoration) at a discount bookshop in Skipton this week. It looks like my sort of adventure!
Product Description from Amazon.co.uk: "Witty Italian art-history crime series featuring English dealer Jonathan Argyll, from the author of the best-selling literary masterpiece, 'An Instance of the Fingerpost'. Membership of the prestigious Titian Committee is normally considered a high honour. Normally, that is, until two of its members end up dead and someone seems to be taking the idea of backstabbing a little too far. Flavia de Stefano of Rome's Art Theft Squad is sent to find out why. She calls upon the help of dealer Jonathan Argyll, in Venice to buy a picture from the Marchesa di Mulino. But the sudden theft of the Marchesa's collection sets Flavia and Jonathan on a tortuous trail to uncover the truth. A further death threatens the very survival of the Committee itself, as well as offering the tantalizing possibility of an undiscovered Titian -- a mysterious composition that may have been suppressed for 'moral' reasons!"

Journal Entry 2 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 27, 2010
A non-BookCrossing friend (JR) spotted this among my many books To Be Read and has borrowed it. It's Reserved for bluenoser when I've read it myself!

Journal Entry 3 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 25, 2010
Returned by JR who reports she enjoyed loved, loves the arty mysteries featuring Jonathan Argyll.

Journal Entry 4 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 02, 2010
I find Iain Pears' Jonathan Argyll mysteries great fun - and this one's no exception, quite as entertaining as I expected, very satisfying with all its intricate threads tied up neatly at the end. Beware the red herrings in the Venice canals, though!

Journal Entry 5 by wingNu-Kneeswing at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/7/2010 UTC) at Knaresborough, North Yorkshire United Kingdom

Posted to bluenoser in France

Journal Entry 6 by bluenoser at Eymet, Aquitaine France on Monday, July 12, 2010
It arrived safely today, thank you so much Nu-Knees. I've read several of Iain Pears' books and have enjoyed them all, I'm sure I'll enjoy this one too.

Journal Entry 7 by bluenoser at Eymet, Aquitaine France on Thursday, July 22, 2010
Aaaagghh! Different cover, but I discovered I'd read it about 3 or 4 years ago. My 'Authors alphabetically' search on my bookshelf had split my Iain Pears books up, so I didn't notice I'd read it. After consulting with Nu-Knees we agreed that our friend Mrsgaskell in Winnipeg would enjoy this series.

Journal Entry 8 by bluenoser at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, July 22, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/22/2010 UTC) at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Nu-Knees and I decided you'd enjoy this series. It's a get well quick prezzie.

Journal Entry 9 by wingCJL-230711wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, August 06, 2010
What a lovely surprise - a book from an author I haven't read but have wanted to, and it's set in Venice, and it's recommended by two of my favourite bookcrossers! Thank you so very much bluenoser and Nu-Knees - it really made my day!! And thanks for the postcard,too, bluenoser - I'd love to go for a stroll around Eymet.

Released 9 yrs ago (9/23/2010 UTC) at Uncommon Grounds, 1030 South Park Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada

This is one of the books I took along on holiday to read and release. As expected, it was good vacation reading, an interesting mystery which was also amusing at times, and a great setting in Venice. It was the first time I met art dealer Jonathan Argyll and Flavia de Stefano from Rome's Art Theft Squad - willl keep my eyes open for more of their adventures.

Our itinerary took us from Boston to Halifax and I decided that I would save the book for releasing in Halifax. That seemed appropriate since it came my way from Bluenoser who spent some years in Nova Scotia, and it originated with Nu-Knees who I know loves Nova Scotia, too. Thank you both for sharing!

I had looked up OBCZs before leaving home. The first one I looked for was non-existent but Uncommon Grounds wasn't too far out of our way so we had a nice stroll down South Park St. I'm not sure if UG is actually an OBCZ but there was a shelf of books, although unlabeled, so it seemed a good place to leave a book.

Welcome to Bookcrossing! I hope you'll enjoy this book and explore the Bookcrossing site. It's loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world! Please let us know that you've found the book, what you thought of it and if possible, where you might re-release it when you're done so it can continue its journey.