The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Registered by wingCordelia-annewing of Someplace, Georgia USA on 5/18/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Tuesday, May 18, 2010
Dear Reader,

This is the book I'm enjoying now, a 1958 Newberry Award Winner. I had no idea of what it would be like, having missed it in my own childhood. I find I relate to Kit, the protagonist, so well in so many ways and I'm really enjoying the read.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCordelia-annewing from Someplace, Georgia USA on Saturday, May 22, 2010
Elizabeth George Speare managed to present an historical period without judging the people too severely. Frankly, Puritan New England is deeply unappealing to me as a period in American History. I'm Southern, more like the British Kit from Barbados, so I could only live there for awhile and was glad to leave after this novel was over. Speare is a New Englander herself so she portrays the landscape with great love. I have seen the blazing New England autumn so I could relate to Kit's wonder in it. Like a Jane Austen novel, everything is carefully tied up in pairings of young folk at the end. I enjoyed this and I'm sorry that life is not more like this, 52 years after this book came on the scene. It seems right that people should have life partners early and stick with them. All the years of "options" for "relationships" seem pretty sociopathic to me. Ah! The good old days.

Journal Entry 3 by wingCordelia-annewing at Decatur, Georgia USA on Wednesday, May 26, 2010
For some strange reason, the system won't let me release this one. So I'm making a journal entry to note that it is on its way to Xana in Brussels, who gave us some books when she was here in the Atlanta area. Happy reading Xana.

Journal Entry 4 by Xana at Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Thursday, August 12, 2010
It has arrived and made my day!