The Virgin's Lover

by Philippa Gregory | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by weeder of Worthington, Ohio USA on 5/12/2010
Journal Entry 1 by weeder from Worthington, Ohio USA on Wednesday, May 12, 2010
The story follows the early reign of Elizabeth 1 of England and her impossible love affair. Do you know how it all ended?

Journal Entry 2 by weeder at Columbus, Ohio USA on Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/12/2010 UTC) at Columbus, Ohio USA

Mail to ravencat

Journal Entry 3 by ravencat from Buffalo, New York USA on Friday, May 14, 2010
Book arrived safe and sound. Thank-you so much weeder for this RABCK and I will be leaving for a relaxing vacation in 4 days and this one is coming with me.

Journal Entry 4 by ravencat from Buffalo, New York USA on Saturday, May 22, 2010
As always,anything about the Tudors I love and this was no different. I do like the way the storyline went back and forth with Amy, Robert and Elizabeth. I suspected the ending as such but it still amazes me that after four centuries the true answers were never resolved. I won't say anymore about that as I don't want to spoil it for the next person who may end up with this book. Thank-you so much weeder for this book.

P.S. Thanks so much for the 'Kitty' bookmark:)

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, February 08, 2012
Received this book today from ravencat. Thank you very much for granting my wish!

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, March 29, 2013
This book is with me now

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, July 11, 2013
Queen Elizabeth came to the throne after her sister's passing. It seemed that all anyone was concerned about once she came to the throne was finding her a husband so that a King could rule alongside her. There were offers from the Spanish and the Scottish, along with many other noble men. Elizabeth is smitten with her childhood friend Robert Dudley though, and Dudley is a very ambitious man. There's just one problem, he's married.

As the French threaten war, Dudley pushes Elizabeth more to marry him while her advisors push her to marry someone that will help stop a war with the French. The problem is that Dudley is married to Amy Robsart and not available to marry the queen. He tries to convince Elizabeth to give him a divorce but people aren't sure if he truly loves Elizabeth or if he is just ambitious.

This novel paints Dudley as a power-seeking jerk and Elizabeth as a weak female. I'm not sure how true these portraits are. I doesn't make sense that Elizabeth is a weak person when she ruled England for such a long time and with so much success. The true victim here was Amy Robsart. I felt very sorry for her, no one deserves to be treated like that.

Not my favourite Gregory novel but still pretty good.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, July 28, 2013
The book is with me :)

Journal Entry 9 by HoserLauren at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, September 23, 2013
This book is back with me. Unfortunately my mom (AceofHearts) didn't get a chance to read it before she passed away.

Journal Entry 10 by HoserLauren at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada on Sunday, December 15, 2013

Released 5 yrs ago (12/15/2013 UTC) at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada

To the finder of this book: I hope you enjoy reading this book. Please keep it or set it free when you're done. If the book is of no interest to you, please release it into the wild for someone else to find and enjoy. I hope you will make a journal entry so its journey can be tracked and to let me know the book has been found. You can remain anonymous if you wish, but if you join BookCrossing, you are in for a great experience.