The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox

by Maggie O'Farrell | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 5/12/2010
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Book Description:

Set between the 1930s, and the present, Maggie O'Farrell's new novel is the story of Esme, a woman edited out of her family's history, and of the secrets that come to light when, sixty years later, she is released from care, and a young woman, Iris, discovers the great aunt she never knew she had. The mystery that unfolds is the heartbreaking tale of two sisters in colonial India and 1930s Edinburgh - of the loneliness that binds them together and the rivalries that drive them apart, and lead one of them to a shocking betrayal - but above all it is the story of Esme, a fiercely intelligent, unconventional young woman, and of the terrible price she is made to pay for her family's unhappiness. This is vintage Maggie O'Farrell: an impassioned, intense, haunting family drama - a stunning imagining of a life stolen, and reclaimed.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, September 15, 2010
My Review: I really enjoyed this story! Esme was a girl/woman before her time. She didn't aspire to getting married and being a wife and mother. She wanted to go to college and work. Something horrible happens to her and she becomes hysterical, the family feels they have no other choice, but to institutionalize her. She ends up staying there until Cauldstone is planning to close. Iris is the great neice who never even heard of Esme before. Cauldstone contacts her as next of kin to decide where Esme is to live. She discovers they are in fact related and find they have similarities, as Esme's terrible life story unfolds in Esme's mind. Very slowly you find out what happened all those years ago. The ending is shocking.

Reserved for a bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, February 14, 2011
This book is going travelling in JennyC1230's Kitchen Sink Bookbox.

Journal Entry 4 by princess-peapod at San Luis Obispo, California USA on Tuesday, March 08, 2011
at some point this was on my wishlist and thought I had a copy, but with my move last year I am still trying to find books (haha) so pulling this from the kitchen sink bookbox to read before passing it along to another fabulous reader!

Journal Entry 5 by princess-peapod at Little free Library in San Luis Obispo, California USA on Wednesday, January 09, 2019

Released 10 mos ago (1/9/2019 UTC) at Little free Library in San Luis Obispo, California USA

Passing along so it can find new readers!!!

"A book is a mysterious object, I said, and once it floats out into the world, anything can happen. All kinds of mischief can be caused, and there's not a damned thing you can do about it. For better or worse, it's completely out of your control."
Paul Auster