The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

by Stieg Larsson | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by cluricaune of Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on 5/9/2010
Journal Entry 1 by cluricaune from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Sunday, May 09, 2010
Stieg Larsson was born in 1954, was a journalist and an expert on anti-democratic and far-right organisations. He died suddenly in November 2004, shortly after delivering the manuscripts for three crime novels - known together as the Millennium Trilogy - to a Swedish publisher. "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is the first part of this trilogy.

Mikael Blomkvist is a journalist based in Stockholm. As well as writing for the current affairs magazine, Millennium, he's also the publisher and part owner - alongside Christer Malm and Erika Berger. (Christer acts as the magazine's art director and designer while Erika - the magazine's majority partner - is the editor in chief. She and Mikael first met at journalism school twenty years previously and have always had a hard time keeping their hands off each other. Mikael's marriage eventually failed because of his feelings for her. Erika's is still intact, though her husband knows and can apparently live with what's happening).

Millennium isn't yet a big player, but things had been moving along nicely - the magazine's circulation and its advertising revenue had both been rising steadily. However, trouble is looming thanks to an article written by Blomkvist where he claimed Hans-Erik Wennerström - a very wealthy financier - had used state funds for shady arms deals. At the time of writing, he was certain his story was good and his sources were solid - in fairness, it does seem clear that Wennerström was up to something very shady. However, things haven't worked out the way they should have : when we first meet him, Blomkvist has just lost a libel action brought by Wennerström. In order to protect Millennium from Wennerström and his circling lawyers, Blomkvist decides to step down from the roster and take a good, long break.

As he's clearing his desk on Christmas Eve, Blomkvist takes a telephone call from Dirch Frode - an aging lawyer, acting for Henrik Vanger. The name alone is enough to grab Blomkvist's attention - although now retired, Vanger is well known as an honourable `old-school' businessman whose name still carries a great deal of clout. (Vanger's nephew is now in control of the Vanger Corporation - it's not quite the elite company it once was, but it's still more than respectable). It appears there's a freelance assignment on offer, though Blomkvist has to travel to Vanger's place for the details. Officially, he'll be writing the history of the Vanger family; unofficially, he'll be investigating the disappearance of his Vanger's niece, Harriet - who Henrik is convinced was murdered nearly forty years previously. In return, Blomkvist will not only be very well paid - but Vanger will hand over evidence that Wennerström is a swindler and a crook.

Unknown to Blomkvist, he has already been thoroughly checked out. Frode had approached Milton Security to run a little background check on Blomkvist. The check had been carried out by Lisbeth Salander, who - despite having a very difficult background - is probably the company's most thorough investigator. It would be easy - and foolish - to dismiss her based on first impressions : she didn't finish high school and has no formal qualifications, has several piercings and tattoos and is barely five feet tall. However, she is highly intelligent, resourceful and knows exactly how to handle herself in a dangerous situation. She also comes across as being rather cold and detached and - when Blomkvist finally meets her - he suspects she may actually have Asperger's syndrome. Fortunately for Blomkvist, when they meet they're working together as allies....

"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is comfortably the best thriller I've read in a long time. It can, at times, make for uncomfortable reading - Salander's had a very tough life, and she continues to be badly treated by her current guardian Nils Bjurman. (What happens between the pair isn't exactly pleasant). I did find a little odd was that Blomkvist was really the book's lead character - I'd have thought, given the book's name, it would have been Salander who played that role. Hopefully, I'll learn a bit more about her in the next instalment. A cracking read, totally recommended.

Journal Entry 2 by cluricaune from Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Sunday, May 09, 2010
To the finder:

Welcome to BookCrossing!

Please make a journal entry to let me know that this book has been caught so I know that it has found a good home with you. I hope you like the book, but I'd be grateful if you'd let me know what you thought of it by making another journal entry when you've finished it.

Then, whenever you are ready to send it on its way, make a journal entry if you are giving or sending this book to a known person, or a release note if you are leaving it “in the wild” again for anyone to catch. Then watch its journey.

If you've decided to sign up, you’ll be alerted by e-mail each time someone makes another journal entry. And it’s confidential (you are known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spamless !

Some faqs : http://www.bookcrossing.com/faqs

Thanks for stopping by, have fun!

Journal Entry 3 by cluricaune at The John Hewitt Bar in Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (5/11/2010 UTC) at The John Hewitt Bar in Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom

At the meetup.

Journal Entry 4 by fleurdelys at Belfast, Co. Antrim United Kingdom on Sunday, August 22, 2010
Great thriller. Loved this and looking forward to the next one. Apart from that, I don't think I can add anything to Cluricaune's journal.

Journal Entry 5 by KateKintail at Burke, Virginia USA on Monday, September 13, 2010
I picked this up at the meetup in Bethsday, MD. on Labor Day. It's one of the "hot" books of the moment and many people have recommended it to me. I look forward to finally reading it! Thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by KateKintail at Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 12, 2010
Before I could get to the paper copy of this book I picked up at the BookCrossing meetup, the audio version I had put on hold came in at the library for me. Excitedly, I started the book.

After a disc, I wasn't hooked. In fact, I had to listen to a few tracks over again at the beginning before I could get straight who was talking and what the mystery of the flowers was about. Where was the girl with the dragon tattoo? Ugh. Slow start. I almost gave up. I hit disc 2 and still wasn't captivated. In fact, I chose to drive around in silence for a while instead of listening to the book. But then, finally, Henrik Vanger shows up.
Henrik: Hello, Blomkvist. I've brought you a plot.
KateKintail: Oh, THERE's the plot! I wondered when you were going to get here.

Turns out that the plot I got hooked on was actually a subplot. And, in fact, there were subplots within subplots within subplots. And I was just as hooked on the relationship between Salander and Blomkvist as I was with Harriet's disappearance. And then, suddenly, I COULD NOT STOP LISTENING! I found excuses to go driving just so I could earread more of it. I couldn't get enough of the suspense and mystery and all the little components that unfolded. I loved that it was kind of simple but full of such detail that no one but these special people were able to uncover the truth. And I love the truth. Just as I loved getting to know the characters. The showdown in Martin's house was brutal and shocking and so very exciting! And finally finding out what happened to Harriet was excellent.

When that plot came to a close, I realized there were still 3 discs left. What could possibly be said for 3 more discs? I'd forgotten the whole Wennerstrom incident. And, yes, I was happy to see Salander help Blomkvist find the truth there as well. And, okay, it was interesting to see Blomkvist come out on top at the end. But it was less interesting to me than the Harriet mystery. The very end with Salander dragged so much I thought I'd never get through that part. Ugh. I didn't need all that detail. it was okay, don't get me wrong. I liked knowing that it was so planned and thought-out and that she's finally financially independent. But it just kept going and going and I didn't need it.

The last scene broke my heart. I actually bought a badger stuffed animal (it's because I'm a fan of the Harry Potter books and I'm a Hufflepuff) and I've been looking for a name for it for months. Suddenly the name "Berger" just seemed right. It wasn't until I was mostly through the book that I realized that was one of the character's names. I have no problem with Blomkvist and Berger. But I desperately want Salander and Blomkvist to happen! I can't wait to read the next book, but I'm #144 in the wait queue for it at the library. So I have a while to wait yet.

So my experience with this book was a series of ups and downs. But I am so glad I read it and I look forward to the next book!

This book will be released at the 2011 BookCrossing Convention.

Journal Entry 8 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Budapest, Pest Hungary on Tuesday, April 24, 2012
My boyfriend got the book in India from an American lady, and when I mentioned him that I wanted to read something in English, he gave it to me.
I haven't finished it yet (and I haven't watch the movie - neither the Swedish, nor the American), but it is really good and now I should study, but I read the book instead. :)
Lilla

Journal Entry 9 by Andrees at Budapest, Pest Hungary on Thursday, January 03, 2013
Thanks to the previous owner, who gave it to me- I'll leave it soon, I think :).