Seeing Is Deceiving

by Suzanne North | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 5/9/2010
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Sunday, May 09, 2010
I purchased this book from an online seller through Amazon.ca. The book was only $1.99 and even with postage it cost me under $10. I needed a mystery set in Alberta to complete John Mutford's reading challenge and was not able to get one locally. I've read one other book by Suzanne North, Bones to Pick and I liked it a lot so I thought this would be a good book to get.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, June 15, 2010
This is my 12th read for John Mutford's Canadian reading challenge which I made into a challenge to myself to read 13 mysteries set in each province and territory in Canada. This book is set in Alberta between Okotoks and Calgary mostly. I've travelled that road once or twice. It is lovely country and North does a great job of describing it.

Phoebe Fairfax is a videographer who likes to do nature shows but works 2 or 3 days a week for a Calgary TV station on a lifestyle program. Phoebe, the show's on air personality, Candi Sinclair, and the program's very pregnant producer, Ella, are in Okotoks to film the First Annual Okotoks Psychic Fair. Maud Gellman, wife of the owner of their station, is the organizer and she is a non-stop talker so she should be a natural for an interview. However, she is going to be late so Phoebe and Candi stroll around the fair getting short clips for the show. At one booth Candi finds an old friend, Tracy, who is sharing the booth with her common-law husband, Jonathan Webster. Jonathan is selling a new-age healing device called the Super O. Jonathan uses the device himself (and I sincerely hope that North made this device up because I don't want to think about someone using it) and swears by it. Tracy has covered up a black eye with makeup but both Phoebe and Candi figure Jonathan gave it to her. A few minutes later Jonathan collapses in his booth and dies in hospital soon after arriving there in an ambulance.

Tracy is, of course, the prime suspect but Candi is determined not to let her old friend face the police alone. She talks Phoebe into helping her. They even interview a loan shark who claims Jonathan owed $47,000 to her. Interspersed with the investigation Phoebe continues to work on her nature film and visits with old and new friends. The ending has a twist that I did not see coming but it tied everything up beautifully.

I'll be keeping my eye open for more Suzanne North mysteries. They are funny as well as being well written.

I will release this book during the Canada Day release challenge.

Released 9 yrs ago (6/30/2010 UTC) at Royal Bank, St. Anne's and Avondale Branch in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

I left this book in the ATM lobby on top of the pile of real estate guides. This release is for the 2010 Canada Day release challenge.