Wishful Drinking

by Carrie Fisher | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by KateKintail of Burke, Virginia USA on 5/7/2010
Journal Entry 1 by KateKintail from Burke, Virginia USA on Friday, May 07, 2010
Bought this at a library sale or a thrift store used book sale.

Unabridged
3 CDs (the perfect amount for a trip from my house to the Book Thing of Baltimore and home again)
Read by Carrie Fisher, the author

I liked Star Wars and knew a bit about Carrie Fisher's strange life. But it was a whole new experience listening to her telling all about it here. She has a twisted sense of humor and a gift for emotion and delivery.

The stories were sometimes crazy, sometimes funny, and sometimes rather heartbreaking. I feel like I got to know Carrie well here because you really got to hear the emotion behind what she chose to very honestly reveal.

Journal Entry 2 by KateKintail at Burke, Virginia USA on Saturday, May 08, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (5/8/2010 UTC) at Burke, Virginia USA

I really enjoyed this book and thought melydia might like to earread it.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Monday, May 10, 2010
KateKintail generously lent this to me. Looking forward to it - thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Friday, June 04, 2010
Man oh man, I never expected to fall in love with Carrie Fisher. Aside from Star Wars and a cameo appearance in one of the Austin Powers movies, I'm pretty much completely unfamiliar with her work. I've never read any of her novels or seen any of her other movies. But you know, this was really fantastic. She's brutally honest about her upbringing as a product of "Hollywood inbreeding", her bipolar disorder, her addictions, and her romantic follies. This is a pretty short book, but it goes a mile a minute, jumping from topic to topic without ever feeling too scatterbrained. There are some sad parts and some touching parts, but most of it is just plain old hilarious. I laughed out loud on a number of occasions and had a big old grin on my face for much of the rest of it. Highly recommended.

Thanks for lending this one to me, KateKintail!

Journal Entry 5 by KateKintail at Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 01, 2010
I'm setting this aside for a future Audio bookbox that might come my way. Thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by KateKintail at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA on Monday, March 28, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (3/28/2011 UTC) at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA

Including this in BigJohnLefty's CD Audio Bookbox

I hope it's enjoyed!

Journal Entry 7 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, April 12, 2011
I love Carrie Fisher as an actress so I really am looking forward to hear the behind the scenes of her life. Took this out of BigJohnLefty's Audiobook box.

Journal Entry 8 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Thursday, November 24, 2011
A very funny, yet hearbreaking, account of Carrie Fisher's life and additions. I felt Ms Fisher was pretty candid about her troubled and dysfunctional life/family without coming across whiny or trying to point fingers. It really was a treat to hear her tell the tale of her crazy life, bi-polar problems and her addiction to drugs and alcohol.... and with such humor. It just added so much to the audiobook experience. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 9 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Monday, January 09, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (1/9/2012 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

Leaving the wilds of Wisconsin and heading over to Pennsylvania where grubsneerg is waiting for this audiobook. She picked it off iwillrejoice's Audiobook VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 10 by grubsneerg at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, January 13, 2012
Arrived safe and sound. Thank you, imawinn2!

Journal Entry 11 by grubsneerg at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, April 07, 2012
Listening to this book was like sitting down and having a three-hour conversation with Carrie Fisher where no topic was taboo. She was funny, candid, and animated about every facet of her strange and extraordinary life. I can't imagine this book being read by anyone else.

Journal Entry 12 by grubsneerg at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, April 14, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (4/16/2012 UTC) at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

More than a year later, I'm putting this back in the same AudioBookBox it came from! Adding to BigJohnLefty's First CD-Only AudioBookBox.

Journal Entry 13 by rebekkila at Lansing, Michigan USA on Wednesday, May 16, 2012
I pulled this out of Bigjohnlefty's audio bookbox.

Journal Entry 14 by rebekkila at Lansing, Michigan USA on Sunday, June 24, 2012
Wishful DrinkingWishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Im a huge Star Wars fan, so I was really excited to get my hands on the memoirs of one of the stars of the movie. Unfortunately, Carrie Fisher has had electro shock therapy and has lost a lot of her memories. I also love old Hollywood I was happy that she wrote about Cary Grant, he is one of my favorite actors ever. I wish she would have wrote more about her father and Liz Taylor but she may have lost the details during her treatment.

Journal Entry 15 by rebekkila at Lansing, Michigan USA on Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (8/26/2012 UTC) at Lansing, Michigan USA

My aunt finished her book on CD while driving out for a visit. I gave her this one for her ride home.