Absolute Power

by David Baldacci | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by wingmelydiawing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 5/7/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, May 07, 2010
Won this in an online contest.

Unabridged audio book on 17 CDs. Read by Scott Brick. Includes the short story "No Time Left".

Registered in Centreville, Virginia, USA.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Wednesday, May 26, 2010
The set-up of the story is simple: Luther Whitney, an aging thief, witnesses the lady of the house he is robbing in a tryst with Allen Richmond, the President of the United States. Things get out of hand and she is killed by secret service agents. Luther gets his hands on a key piece of evidence and is suddenly on the run for his life. Seth Frank is the detective on the murder case; Walter Sullivan is the millionaire husband of the deceased and good friend to the President; Jack Graham is Luther's defense lawyer, the ex-boyfriend of Luther's estranged daughter Kate, and the target of the President's men for much of the book. It's a decent cat-and-mouse tale, with a high body count and reasonably likeable characters. There were a surprising number of first-names-as-last-names in this book: Frank, Collin, Simon, Graham, Russell, Whitney. Usually I don't notice things like that, but it got a little confusing at times. I don't see myself picking up any more Baldacci titles, but it was decently engaging.

I am now very interested to see the movie made from this book, as apparently they cut out Jack Graham entirely.

I listened to this on audiobook read by Scott Brick, whom I thoroughly enjoyed as a narrator of Card's Ender series. He was no disappointment here. Included in this version was the short story "No Time Left". It was, in a word, terrible. The second the client said his name I knew exactly where it was going, and I was exactly right. Don't bother with it.

Journal Entry 3 by KateKintail at Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, August 01, 2010
Melydia gave this to me so I can include it in a future Audio Bookbox. Thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by KateKintail at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA on Sunday, December 12, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (12/13/2010 UTC) at Fairfax Station, Virginia USA

Adding this to indygo88's CD Audio Bookbox. I hope it's enjoyed!

I'm a member of the BookCrossing meet-up group, BCinDC. Have you heard we're having a convention in the Washington, D.C. area in April? All book lovers are invited to celebrate the 10th birthday of BookCrossing at the 2011 BookCrossing Convention!

Journal Entry 5 by k00kaburra at San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, March 09, 2011
This book enjoyed a brief stop in San Jose, California before continuing its travels in indygo88's CD Audio Bookbox!

Journal Entry 6 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Pulled this one out of indygo88's CD-only Audiobookbox. Plan to listen to soon.

Journal Entry 7 by BigJohnLefty at Des Moines, Iowa USA on Sunday, May 08, 2011
My first encounter with this author, this one absolutely blew my mind.... to give examples of the plot twists and unexpected turns this one took would give away too much.

It also has the ring of truth from someone who's been around the the worlds of corporate business, law enforcement and the corridors of power in politics. Great character development, and not many audiobooks of this size (17 CDs!) have held me quite this spellbound and anxious throughout the entire journey.

Will put this in the next audiobookbox that comes my way......

Released 9 yrs ago (5/17/2011 UTC) at BigJohnLefty's Another AudiobookBox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

This is going into my CD-only Audiobookbox.

It's time to set this one free -- enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by k00kaburra at San Jose, California USA on Wednesday, June 01, 2011
I'm not much of a fan of Baldacci's style of writing, so I'll probably never listen to this, but I have to say that Scott Brick is a fantastic narrator, which is almost enough to make me keep the book and listen to it anyway. (Also, this is the first time I've seen a photo of Scott Brick, and I have to say that he is blonder than I expected.)

Anyway.

This book enjoyed a brief visit in San Jose, California before continuing its visit in BigJohnLefty's Another Audiobookbox.

Journal Entry 10 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Taking from BigJohnLefty's Another Audiobookbox

Journal Entry 11 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Tuesday, March 20, 2012
This book was read by M&W and returned to me for new travels!

Journal Entry 12 by askmargaret at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, April 20, 2013
Margaret & Woody listened to this book again. They enjoyed it.

Journal Entry 13 by PGO-Books4all at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Thursday, March 06, 2014
Reserved for iwillrejoice's VBB.

Journal Entry 14 by tostle at Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, January 18, 2016
Saving for booklady's VBB

Journal Entry 15 by tostle at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Sunday, August 14, 2016

Released 4 yrs ago (8/14/2016 UTC) at Lafayette, Indiana USA

Happy travels!

Journal Entry 16 by indygo88 at Lafayette, Indiana USA on Thursday, August 18, 2016
Arrived today. Thanks for being so speedy, tostle! :)