Anatomist, The

by Federico Andahazi | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by DameEdna of Monroe Township, New Jersey USA on 5/4/2010
Journal Entry 1 by DameEdna from Monroe Township, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, May 04, 2010
Book Description:
A lyrically written, sensual, and extraordinarily enjoyable novel in which a Renaissance anatomist's astonishing discovery forever changes the female erotic universe.

In sixteenth-centruy Venice, celebrated physician Mateo Colombo finds himself behind bars at the behest of the Church authorities. His is a crime of disclosure, heinous and heretical in the Church's eyes, in that his research threatens to subvert the whole secular order of Renaissance society. Like his namesake Christopher Colombus, he has made a discovery of enormous significance for humankind. Whereas Colombus voyaged outward to explore the world and found the Americas, Mateo Colombo looked inward, across the mons veneris, and uncovered the clitoris. Based on historical fact, The Anatomist is an utterly fascinating excursion into Renaissance Italy, as evocative of time and place as the work of Umberto Eco, and reminiscent of the earthy sensuality of Gabriel García Márquez. Perceptive and stirring, it ironically exposes not only the social hypocracies of the day, but also the prejudices and sexual taboos that may still be with us four hundred years later.

Journal Entry 2 by DameEdna at Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, September 10, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (8/21/2011 UTC) at Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, Pennsylvania USA

Receiver of this book - I hope you will enjoy it and make a little journal entry! When you are done with it, perhaps you will send it on its way. Check out bookcrossing - it's a fun community of readers!

Journal Entry 3 by nyannayon at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, December 10, 2011
I snagged this book from DameEdna when we were at a bead show in VF (Oaks). I'm keeping it.