Fingersmith

by Sarah Waters | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by winggypsysmomwing of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 5/3/2010
Journal Entry 1 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, May 03, 2010
I won a $50 gift certificate to Aqua Books, my favourite Used Book Store in Winnipeg. MTC awarded it to me, along with two tickets to Steel Magnolias as a prize for suggesting a book for Rita to read when they did Educating Rita. The play was great (just like when I saw the movie twenty years ago, I cried) but I think I was really more excited about the chance to spend the gift certificate. Last week I went to Aqua Books on my lunch break and I managed to spend $32 of the certificate. This was one of the books I purchased.

This was in the Staff Picks section of Aqua Books. It was shortlisted for the 2002 Man Booker Prize and it was a finalist for The Orange Prize for Fiction. Sounds great.

Journal Entry 2 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Thursday, February 27, 2020
Sarah Waters has many good novels to her name. This one was the first that was shortlisted for the Booker Prize but two subsequent novels have also been on the Booker Prize shortlist. None of them won the Booker Prize but to make the shortlist shows the calibre of her writing. Is this her best to date? I'm not sure but I did find it very engrossing.

Sue Trinder is a fingersmith i.e. a pickpocket. Very like Oliver Twist's experience with Fagin Sue has been raised to acquire this skill by Mrs. Sucksby, a woman who looks after babies and who took on raising Sue after her mother was hanged. However, when the book starts off Richard Rivers (who is called Gentleman by Sue and Mrs. Sucksby and others) has another game that he needs Sue's help with. He wants Sue to become a lady's maid to an heiress that he hopes to marry, thus acquiring her fortune. Maud Lilly has been living in her uncle's house where Gentleman came to know her. However, her beginning years were spent in an insane asylum where her mother gave birth to her after being put there for conceiving a child out of wedlock. Gentleman's plan is that he will convince Maud to elope with him, they will marry and then he will put her into an insane asylum thus getting access to her fortune. Sue will persuade Maud to acquiesce to Gentleman's suit and she will get three thousand pounds from the fortune for her efforts. Although Sue has no experience as a lady's maid Genteman manufactures a false reference for her and gives her some rudimentary instruction. Sue is clever enough to pull it off and it looks like she will convince Maud. Then she begins to have doubts because she is starting to care for Maud. In fact, she and Maud have a lesbian encounter one night and they both appear to have quite strong feelings for one another. However, things are not quite as Sue imagines them to be. Many twists and turns await the reader.

Journal Entry 3 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, June 05, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (6/5/2020 UTC) at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Winnipeg BookCrossers had a socially distanced meetup in Crescent Drive Park and this book was snapped up by one of the attendees.

When you find a BookCrossing book it is yours to do with what you like. You can read it and keep it or pass it on or if you don't think it is your kind of book pass it on to someone who might like it or release it in a spot for someone else to find like you just did. Whatever you choose it would be great if you could write a short note letting us know what new adventures the book is on.

Journal Entry 4 by Matty at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, June 05, 2020
As always, Gypsysmom has a way of describing books that makes me want to read them, even if they aren’t my usual type of book. Thanks!