World Without End

by Ken Follett | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 5/3/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, May 03, 2010
This book is a donation to BC from "Buchladen an der Kyll", an internet book store in Germany. Thank you!

From Publishers Weekly
Eighteen years after Pillars of the Earth weighed in with almost 1,000 pages of juicy historical fiction about the construction of a 12th-century cathedral in Kingsbridge, England, bestseller Follett returns to 14th-century Kingsbridge with an equally weighty tome that deftly braids the fate of several of the offspring of Pillars' families with such momentous events of the era as the Black Death and the wars with France. Four children, who will become a peasant's wife, a knight, a builder and a nun, share a traumatic experience that will affect each of them differently as their lives play out from 1327 to 1361. Follett studs the narrative with gems of unexpected information such as the English nobility's multilingual training and the builder's technique for carrying heavy, awkward objects. While the novel lacks the thematic unity of Pillars, readers will be captivated by the four well-drawn central characters as they prove heroic, depraved, resourceful or mean. Fans of Follett's previous medieval epic will be well rewarded.

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at Christmas in July, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (6/9/2010 UTC) at Christmas in July, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

This book is part of a Christmas in July package.
Travelling to UK now.
Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, June 20, 2010
Thank you ApoloniaX. Looking forward to reading this.
May take some time to get round to it, though. Big TBR Mountain!

Journal Entry 4 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 22, 2020
Dear ApoloniaX,
When I said it might take me a while to get round to this, I didn't think it would be ten years! In fairness, I did read Pillars of the Earth first, plus of course, like most Bookcrossers, I now have more books to read than I ever had before!!

I enjoyed this book just as much as the first one and it doesn't seem at all like 1025 pages long! I found that I had developed such a like or dislike for the characters that I wanted to carry straight on where the book left off, but unfortunately there is a 200 year gap between each book in this wonderful little series.

The book now travels to an other Bookcrosser.

Journal Entry 5 by wingDelticwing at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Released 1 mo ago (9/24/2020 UTC) at Ossett, West Yorkshire United Kingdom

A nice compact edition that has been in my hands far too long. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 6 by daffodil-2 at Norwich, Norfolk United Kingdom on Thursday, October 01, 2020
Received in the post from Deltic as part of a swap. Thanks very much. Really looking forward to reading this but am passing it to my husband first as he's a little short of reading material at the moment, unlike myself.