Good Grief

by Lolly Winston | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 5/3/2010
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, May 3, 2010
Book Description:

36-year-old Sophie Stanton has lost her young husband to cancer. In an age where women are expected to be high-achievers, Sophie desperately wants to be a good widow - a graceful, composed Jackie Kennedy kind of widow. Alas, Sophie is more of a Jack Daniels kind. Guzzling cartons of ice-cream for breakfast, breaking down in the frozen food aisle of her local supermarket, showing up to work in her bathrobe and bunny slippers - soon she's not only lost her husband, but her job and her waistline. With nowhere to go but up, Sophie leaves California for Oregon and after several false starts opens her own fabulous bakery. Soon Sophie finds herself trying to cope with the demands of her eccentric mother-in-law and Crystal, a teenager with even less of a grip on life than Sophie. Juggling the success of the bakery, her friends and her new life, Sophie proves that with enough humour and chutzpah it is possible to have life after loss. And falling in love again is all she needs...

This book isn't my cup of tea, so I am going to send it to Aramena, she has it on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, May 13, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (5/14/2010 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending as a RABCK to Aramena, this book is on her wishlist! Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAramenawing from Noble, Oklahoma USA on Monday, May 24, 2010
Thank you so much! I've heard so many good things about this book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Saturday, November 6, 2010
Going through some books on one of my bookshelves, and discovered that I had bought a copy of this at a library book sale about three months before getting this copy and didn't cross it off my wish list! Or maybe the wish lists were already messed up at that time, I don't remember. Anyway, I'm making this copy AVL and checking wish lists today.

Journal Entry 5 by wingAramenawing at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (11/24/2010 UTC) at Moore, Oklahoma USA

Sending to waywenoc. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by waywenoc at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, December 8, 2010
I can't express how very grateful I am to have received this book from Aramena. I've had on on my wish list for years; it was published the year of my husband's death. I think it's been long enough now that I am ready to read it. It's beside my computer, sitting on top of my "TBR in 2011" pile.
Thank you!

Journal Entry 7 by waywenoc at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Monday, January 10, 2011
This book was my in-flight companion on a solo trip to Las Vegas. It's a bit of a paradox, really - a romantic comedy about grief, loss, and the meaning of _family_. The plot is a bit too pat at times, not all the characters as well-rounded as I'd have liked, but I enjoyed it very much, even as it veers from Harlequin romance to Chuck Palaniuk territory. Dark, warm, funny, and at the end, I remembered that deep chasm that grief tears in the heart.

Journal Entry 8 by waywenoc at Curves in Burnaby, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, March 13, 2011

Released 10 yrs ago (3/12/2011 UTC) at Curves in Burnaby, British Columbia Canada

In the book exchange basket at Curves Kensington, Kensington Plaza - Hastings & Kensington.