The enchantress of Florence

by Salman Rushdie | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 5/3/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, May 03, 2010
Trying to describe a Salman Rushdie novel is like trying to describe music to someone who has never heard it--you can fumble with a plot summary but you won't be able to convey the wonder of his dazzling prose or the imaginative complexity of his vision. At its heart, The Enchantress of Florence is about the power of story--whether it is the imagined life of a Mughal queen, or the devastating secret held by a silver-tongued Florentine. Make no mistake, it is Rushdie who is the true "enchanter" of this story, conjuring readers into his gilded fairy tale from the very first sentence: "In the day's last light the glowing lake below the palace-city looked like a sea of molten gold." At once bawdy, gorgeous, gory, and hilarious, The Enchantress of Florence is a study in contradiction, highlighted in its barbarian philosopher-king who detests his bloodthirsty heritage even while he carries it out. Full of rich sentences running nearly the length of a page, Rushdie's 10th novel blends fact and fable into a challenging but satisfying read. (amazon)

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Wednesday, May 05, 2010
Bookray:
- teggers, UK, ship UK/EU
- kalise, Austria, ship EU
- grovalskii, D, ship int'l
- RebeccaToh, Malaysia, ship int'l
- tohweiee, China, ship int'l
- Dancesports, Australia
- ealasaidmae, USA, ship US (int'l if needed)

The usual:
- Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
- When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
- When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
- Make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
- Make release notes to let everyone know that it's in the mail
- Send the book to the next person on the list
- Last person: Would you ray it forward???
If delayed make sure to let us know so that the ray will not stop.

Journal Entry 3 by wingApoloniaXwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 17, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/17/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to teggers. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 4 by teggers from Mansfield, Massachusetts USA on Thursday, May 20, 2010
Received this morning, I'm currently reading another book but this one is next in line.

Journal Entry 5 by teggers at Post Office, Royal Mail -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, June 12, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/12/2010 UTC) at Post Office, Royal Mail -- Controlled Releases

Sent off to Austria, happy reading.

Journal Entry 6 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Book arrived safely, though in an open package, yikes! Looks like either the glue wasn't strong enough or someone purposely picked it open. But: the book is in good condition! :-D Looking forward to reading it!!!

Journal Entry 7 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Tuesday, July 13, 2010
Beautiful and opulent ... and impossible to summarize! This is a compilation of stories reminiscent of 1001 nights, of stories-within-stories set in the Mogul empire as much as in Forence, Italy, during the Renaissance. I truly enjoyed reading about the imaginary queen, as well as the elephant trial. Beautiful, beautiful prose!

Sending on ASAP to the next reader!

Journal Entry 8 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/14/2010 UTC) at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria

Sent to Grovalskii this morning. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, July 20, 2010
just received the book in the mail. Will read very soon.

Journal Entry 10 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, August 31, 2010
It took me a while to get into this book. I almost gave up, but then, at just about page 40, it got more interesting and I finally didn't feel totally lost anymore. In the end, it was quite an amusing book that kept you guessing which part was fantasy and which part could be truth. Interesting writing style - but not a book that I would read a second time.

Will post it on to the next reader within a day or two.

Journal Entry 11 by winggrovalskiiwing at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/7/2010 UTC) at Zehlendorf, Berlin Germany

mailed the book out to the next reader today

Journal Entry 12 by RebeccaToh at Rawang, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Friday, November 19, 2010
I actually received this book 2 weeks back. I forgot to journal it. Ops!

Nevertheless, I'm already halfway through it. It's been quite a challenging read as this is my first Salman Rushdie. I'll let you know my thoughts when I'm done with it. ;)

Thanks!

Journal Entry 13 by RebeccaToh at Rawang, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Thursday, December 16, 2010
It's definitely a book that requires a lot of visualisation to devour it. I could only read it in the stillness of the night accompanied by crickets sending love messages to each other. Yet, I've only been able to digest the book halfway.

Oh well, I'll give myself a few more days with it and then send it to tohweiee this coming Saturday.

Journal Entry 14 by RebeccaToh at Rawang, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia on Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (12/19/2010 UTC) at Rawang, Sultanate of Selangor (Shah Alam) Malaysia

I've sent this on its way to China.

Enjoy reading, Michelle! :)

Journal Entry 15 by tohweiee at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China on Sunday, January 09, 2011
Received! Thanks!!

Journal Entry 16 by tohweiee at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China on Monday, April 18, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (4/16/2011 UTC) at Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu China

Finally travelling again!

Journal Entry 17 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Tuesday, May 10, 2011
Book has arrived safely - thank you tohweiee. I haven't read Salman Rushdie before - I am very much looking forward to reading this book. But there might be a bit of a delay while I clear some other bookring commitments.