The Barrens: A Novel of Suspense (Otto Penzler Books)

by Joyce Carol Oates | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Dove-i-Libri of Cape Coral, Florida USA on 4/30/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Dove-i-Libri from Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, April 30, 2010
Rescued from a box that was going to Goodwill from the skilled nursing facility where I work! Now up for (RABCK) grabs!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Book Description from www.fantasticfiction.co.uk (Link)
"One of the most powerful and original voices in contemporary American literature turns her remarkable skills in this new novel to the complex and compelling story of a serial killer and the people his crimes touch and transform. Matt McBride, a seemingly happily married man, remembers the first victim. He was a boy when the mutilated body of the pretty, popular, outgoing teenager was found in the desolate New Jersey Pine Barrens. Matt's memory of the atrocity haunts him still; he has long felt guilty at not having been able to prevent it, although he'd hardly known the girl. Now another attractive young woman has disappeared. Matt knew this victim, too -- and just possibly he knew her more intimately than he can acknowledge. By degrees Matt becomes obsessed with guilt, and the police view his increasingly erratic behaviour with a suspicion that draws official attention away from Name Unknown, an artist of limited talent but of fierce, demented vision. Under the spell of the missing woman, Matt sets out on a path that leads him to an inevitable confrontation with both Name Unknown and his own deepest, unacknowledged self."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being sent to my BookCrossing friend "Hostile17."

Journal Entry 2 by Dove-i-Libri at A BookCrossing Friend Indeed!, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, May 01, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/3/2010 UTC) at A BookCrossing Friend Indeed!, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

RELEASE NOTES: Flying off to Hostile17 in Indiana who enjoys mysteries, thrillers and true crime books! Happy Traveling, Book! Happy Reading, Hostile17!

Journal Entry 3 by book_drunkard from Osgood, Indiana USA on Friday, May 07, 2010
Received in the mail today.
Thanks so much for thinking of me.

Journal Entry 4 by book_drunkard at Osgood, Indiana USA on Saturday, January 05, 2013
I wish I could think of something good to say about this book but it was so slow paced and boring and Matt McBride, the wanna be Hero of the book, is such a slimey little snake that halfway through the book I was wishing the serial killer would "off" him.
Will be mailing off next week for the Wishlist Tag Game.

Journal Entry 5 by book_drunkard at Wishlist Tag, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 07, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (1/8/2013 UTC) at Wishlist Tag, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Sent to dvg for the Wishlist Tag Game.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by dvg at Flanders, New Jersey USA on Friday, January 11, 2013
Thank you so much, hostile17, for sharing this with me!

What a great surprise in the mail today! (I forgot it was coming! lol.) I have been wanting to read this for a while, because its a suspense/mystery type of read by an author I enjoy but associate more with novels. I was even more surprised to find she has an alias (Rosamond Smith). Can't wait to dive into this one and send an email to my MIL telling her the alias!

Journal Entry 7 by dvg at Surprise, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, July 31, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (8/1/2016 UTC) at Surprise, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

I love Joyce Carol Oates books and had no idea that she also wrote under the name Rosamund Smith. A happy surprise. This was an interesting read written from the perspective of a third party who felt that when these murders first started, he could have prevented it. So it became a bit of an obsession for him and because of that he became a suspect to the police. Did he really do it? You will have to keep reading to find out the twists and turns that the author puts out there. While I daresay it is not the best that I have read by this author, it certainly was a good read.

Decided to sneak this book in a package heading out to booklady331. I hope you enjoy.
Happy Reading and Happy BookCrossing!

Journal Entry 8 by Dove-i-Libri at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Tuesday, August 02, 2016
Oh! I am laughing! I started this book on its journey six years ago, and it's on its way back home to our neighborhood, less than a mile from where I found it in the first place!

Journal Entry 9 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Tuesday, August 09, 2016
Thank you for this book. How much fun to have a surprise book! Also, thank you for the bookmarks. Isn't it funny that the book started out in Lee County, FL and has now travelled back "home." Fun.

Journal Entry 10 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Thursday, November 30, 2017
Offered this up as an ABC book and misplaced it. Finally found it and decided to read the book before I mailed it out to the next reader. I did NOT like Matt at all. I wanted something to happen to him. I felt sorry for his wife and children. I found that I wasn't drawn to keep reading this book, but I finished it. I will now mail it to the next reader.

Journal Entry 11 by wingbooklady331wing at Cape Coral, Florida USA on Friday, December 01, 2017

Released 2 yrs ago (12/1/2017 UTC) at Cape Coral, Florida USA

Enjoy! Continuing its BC journey for The "THE" release challenge 2017

Journal Entry 12 by wingperryfranwing at Elk Grove, California USA on Thursday, December 07, 2017
Received today...a selection from the ABC VBB. Thanks for sending this!