The Tomorrow-Tamer

by Margaret Laurence | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingCJL-230711wing on 4/28/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingCJL-230711wing on Wednesday, April 28, 2010
It's that special time of the year - the annual Children's Hospital Book Market is on! I made a short visit on Saturday with my elder daughter and we didn't come home empty handed. I got some large-print books for my aunt and several books for myself, too.

From the back cover:
"The ten stories gathered together in The Tommorrow-Tamer are Margaret Laurence's first published fiction. Set in raucous and often terrifying Ghana, where shiny Jaguars and modern jazz jostle for eminence against fetish figures, tribal rites, and the unchanging beat of jungle drums, the stories tell of individuals, European and African, trying to come to terms with the frightening world brought about by the country's new freedom.
With the same compassion and understanding she would bring to her later fiction set in Canada, Laurence succeeds brilliantly in capturing the atmosphere of a continent and of individual men and women struggling for survival under the impact of the wind of change."

Margaret Laurence in one of my favourite writers but I've only read the "Manawaka" books set in Canada. I was also lucky enough to pick up a copy of This Side Jordan, her first novel, also set in Ghana, at the sale, too.

Journal Entry 2 by wingCJL-230711wing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, June 25, 2011
Read January 2011.

Margaret Laurence is one of my favourite Canadian writers and I've read all her "Manawaka" books which are set in a fictional town based on Neepawa, Manitoba which is only a few hours from where I live. This collection of 10 stories set in Ghana is Laurence's first published work and I was pleased to discover that it is not just because of the previously familiar setting that her writing appeals to me. I loved these stories which showed the clash between cultures, between education and lack of education, between religious beliefs, between the European and the African, the expatriate and the native, at a time of transition from colonialism to post-colonialism.