A Year in the World: Journeys of A Passionate Traveller

by Frances Mayes | Travel |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 4/24/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Saturday, April 24, 2010
I pulled this book (unregistered) out of TheGoalieGirl's travel narrative bookbox. Found out it was donated by MikiMouse, who said I should just register it myself. So I am ;)

From the cover -
A Year in the World is vintage Frances Mayes - a celebration of the allure of travel, of serendipitous pleasures found in unlikely locales, of memory woven into the present, and of a joyous sense of quest. An ideal travel companion, Mayes brings to the page the curiousity of an intrepid explorer, remarkable insights into the wonder of the everyday, and a compelling narrative style that entertains as it informs.
With her beloved Tuscany as a home base, Mayes travels to Spain, Portugal, France, the British Isles, elsewhere in Italy, and to the Mediterranean world of Turkey, Greece, and North Africa. In Andalucia, she relishes the intersection of cultures. She cooks in Portugal, gathers ideas in the gardens of England and Scotland, takes a literary pilgrimage to Burgundy, discovers an ideal place to live in Mantova, and explores the essential Moroccan city of Fez. She rents houses among ordinary residents, shops at neighborhood markets, wanders the back streets, and everywhere contemplates the concept of home. While in Greece, she follows the classic Homeric voyage across the Aegean, lives in a bougainvillea-draped stone house in Crete, and then drives deep into the Mani. In Turkey, she sails the ancient coast, hiking to archaeological sites and snorkeling over sunken Byzantine towns. Weaving together personal perceptions and informed commetary on art, architecture, history, landscape, and social and culinary traditions of each area, Mayes brings the immediacy of life in her temporary homes to the reader. An illuminating and passionate book that will be savored by all who loved Under the Tuscan Sun, A Year in the World is travel writing at its peak.

Journal Entry 2 by wing6of8wing at Westminster, Maryland USA on Friday, June 08, 2018
Sadly, MaryZee passed suddenly in September 2012. MaryZee's daughter is now ready to rehome her mom's books and I was willing to collect and redistribute them to keep her literary legacy alive.

I am setting this book aside for the Travel Narratives Book Box. MaryZee enjoyed participating in that book box and she has quite a few books that can be included. It seemed like another great way to share her legacy.

Journal Entry 3 by wing6of8wing at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, October 21, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (10/21/2018 UTC) at -- Bookbox, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

This book is being added to the Travel Narrative Book Box in memory of MaryZee, in hopes of spreading her literary legacy far and wide.

Journal Entry 4 by debnance at Alvin, Texas USA on Wednesday, January 16, 2019
When I saw this book was being published, I immediately put it on my must-read list. I ordered it and decided to make it my entree for summer reading. By nibbling on it and picking off pieces of it, I've managed to make it last for over a month. In many ways, it was a perfect summer read, for a person who couldn't travel herself. Mayes took me to places I've always wanted to go, Portugal, Spain, Greece, even Turkey and North Africa.

But the book annoyed me, too. Mayes seemed hypercritical, judgmental off-and-on about her accomodations and her meals. She jumped around while describing her setting so that I felt like I was looking at her world through the eye of a jerky video camera.

Yet she also wrote poetically at times, describing foods she ate and places she visited so beautifully that I felt I'd eaten, too, that I'd travelled with her. The last chapter is a wonderful summing up of the need to travel that could equally well apply to the need to read as well. Mayes reminds us of T.S. Eliot's idea that in voyaging, we come back to our beginnings and understand our own world for the first time. A good reason to travel. A good reason to read.

Journal Entry 5 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Tuesday, January 29, 2019
Received in the Travel Bookbox.

I have decided to release this back for someone else to enjoy.

Journal Entry 6 by Chicvolley99 at Denver, Colorado USA on Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Released 1 yr ago (1/28/2019 UTC) at Denver, Colorado USA

Released back into the travel bookbox. Please enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Vancouver, Washington USA on Tuesday, February 26, 2019
This book arrived home in my travel narrative bookbox. I have already read this book, so I plan on moving this one along again.

Journal Entry 8 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at Vancouver, Washington USA on Monday, March 23, 2020
Just a quick note that this book is finally traveling again. Even though I'm doing release notes, figured a JE right now couldn't hurt. :)

Journal Entry 9 by wingthegoaliegirlwing at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 23, 2020

Released 2 mos ago (3/23/2020 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Off in the mail to mrsjones to continue traveling. Had enough to send a box of books her way to enjoy, as I'm taking a break from hosting a bookbox for a bit. (My TBR shelf is way too big)

Journal Entry 10 by mrsjones at Hamilton, Ohio USA on Monday, March 30, 2020
Received this in a box of books from thegoaliegirl. I look forward to reading and releasing it sometime soon!