Sweet Anarchy

by Nathaniel Benchley | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by nicolesinger of Newport, North Carolina USA on 4/19/2010
Journal Entry 1 by nicolesinger from Newport, North Carolina USA on Monday, April 19, 2010
This would make a great beach read - it's light and easy to pick up and put down, with great understated humor and plenty of comic relief. It's also a bit dated (published in 1979), so it's amusing to spot characters making calls from pay phones instead of cell phones, and TV stations, drinking up a storm on and off the job, and smoking (gasp!) inside buildings.

A small island off the US coast (which resembles but isn't precisely Nantucket) decides to secede. There are personal grudges, power grabs, romance, a severed human foot the chief of police is suspiciously reluctant to investigate, and a clambake. I suppose it's not too much of a spoiler to say that everything shakes out in the end - it is a comedy, after all. (I was a little bothered by the 'stalking nice guy gets the girl' sideplot. I'd like to write it off as a product of the time, but sadly that trope is still alive and well. Sigh.)

Hardcover w/dust jacket picked up at The Book Thing of Baltimore, MD, last fall. I'll try to find a local bookshelf to drop it off on.