Skin: The New Jack Caffery Thriller

by Mo Hayder | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by HoserLauren of Burlington, Ontario Canada on 4/18/2010
Journal Entry 1 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, April 18, 2010
Received from Harper Collins to review.

From Chapters:
When the decomposed body of a young woman is found near some railway tracks just outside Bristol one hot May morning, all indications are that she committed suicide. That's how the police want it too -- all neatly squared away. But DI Jack Caffery is not so sure. He is on the trail of someone predatory, someone who hides in the shadows and can slip into houses unseen. And for the first time in a very long time, he feels scared.

Police diver Flea Marley is working alongside Caffery. With the traumas of her past safely behind her, she's beginning to wonder whether her relationship with Caffery could go beyond the professional. And then she makes a discovery that changes everything. Not only is it far too close to home for comfort, but it's so horrifying that she knows nothing will ever be the same again. And this time, no one -- not even Caffery -- can help her. . . .

Journal Entry 2 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, April 24, 2010
DI Jack Caffery and police diver Flea Marley are back to help solve another mystery. Skin takes place less than a week after Hayder's previous Caffery/Marley book Ritual. The two characters are still trying to get over the disturbing things they saw at their last crime scene when they are called to find the missing wife of a celebrity. While Marley does a dive to try and find her body, Caffery gets sidetracked with a suicide that just doesn't feel right. After following up with the medical examiner, Caffery starts treating the case as a murder but questions whether it has anything to do with the case Marley and he were working on earlier in the week.

After not finding the celebrities' wife in the grotto, Marley heads home and is forced to deal with her brother's mess after a drinking and driving incident. There's a real question of right vs wrong and how far Marley can push her moral boundary. I got quickly wrapped up in Marley's story, which I found to move much quicker than the case Caffery was working on.

True to Hayder style, this book was a page turner. While Hayder usually writes stories that make your skin crawl, Skin was tamer than usual and would appeal to a wider audience.

There was a two book phase where Caffery became really weird and I wasn't sure if I liked him anymore or not but he seemed to be back on track this novel. He's a smart guy and isn't the typical 'do-gooder' that other fictional detectives are. Caffery has his flaws and grapples with his history constantly.

All of the previous Caffery novels I've found could stand alone, but the reader would benefit from having read Ritual before reading Skin. The case from Ritual is mentioned and some of the suspects from that case make re-appearances in this novel.

As always, I'm looking forward to Hayder's next novel!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, May 26, 2010
This book is with me now :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 28, 2010
Less than a week after the 'close' of their last case Jack Caffery and Flea Marley are at it again. Both are searching for a missing celebrity's wife. Jack stumbles upon an apparent suicide by the railway tracks. But is it a suicide? Or is it the monster from the 'Ritual' case, someone who seems to be able to do what he/she wishes and enter houses at will.

Flea has been searching the old quarry, She has dived down to dangerous depths all in search of this missing person. After being unsuccessful, she arrives home exhausted to find the biggest mess her alcoholic brother has ever put her in.

Poor Flea has to battle demons of her own this time. She deals with her parents' death and her brother's impossible significant other and her brother's weaknesses. Flea has to come to terms with what is right vs. wrong.

Jack is still battling his demons but seems in this book to be more calm. Although this book is not as gory and downright 'sick' as Hayder's other novels, it is still a very good read.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, June 02, 2010
Back with me

Journal Entry 6 by HoserLauren at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 10, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (10/10/2010 UTC) at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada

Leaving on the back shelf of the Oakville Second Cup.

Journal Entry 7 by aliaskris29 at Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 13, 2010
I took this from the meet up thinking I was going to read it. I decided to only read happy books from now on as I dream too actively if I read thriller novels. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 8 by aliaskris29 at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada on Saturday, November 13, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/14/2010 UTC) at Second Cup - Lakeshore at Navy in Oakville, Ontario Canada

Taking to meet up. If no takers then leaving on back window ledge.

Journal Entry 9 by chevybuick at Port Colborne, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 15, 2010
Grabbed by my daughter today at the meetup. I will read it and then pass it along to her.

Journal Entry 10 by chevybuick at Port Colborne, Ontario Canada on Sunday, February 06, 2011
This is the first book by Mo Hayder that I have read and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I will definitely look for other books by her to read. I am going to pass this to my daughter to read next.