The Beet Queen

by Louise Erdrich | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 000654620x Global Overview for this book
Registered by pinklady60 of San Diego, California USA on 4/18/2010
Journal Entry 1 by pinklady60 from San Diego, California USA on Sunday, April 18, 2010
I've read and enjoyed other books by this author. Purchased from BookCloseouts.com

trade paperback, different cover

Journal Entry 2 by pinklady60 from San Diego, California USA on Saturday, May 22, 2010
When three fatherless children are also abandoned by their mother, practical 11-year-old Mary decides that she and her 14-year-old brother Karl and baby brother should set off by railroad boxcar to Argus, North Dakota, to live with their Aunt Fritzie. Along the way the baby is kidnapped and Karl drifts away on his own. Multiple narrators tell the story of their lives spanning 40 years.

There was some dark humor in the book, but for the most part it was a stream of depressing, self-destructive incidents by real, but flawed characters.

An American Library Association (ALA) Notable Book

Journal Entry 3 by pinklady60 at San Diego, California USA on Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (5/31/2011 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

Sent to iwillrejoice in Florida via media mail, a winner in my 68th Birthday RABCK. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 4 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, June 04, 2011
Received in today's mail - Thank you! I hope you had a wonderful 68th!

Journal Entry 5 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Saturday, October 19, 2013

I finished this book today. I have to say, I didn't really like most of the characters. But somehow I still found the book interesting. Thanks for sharing, pinklady60! I hope your 69th & 70th were wonderful, too!

Journal Entry 6 by wingiwillrejoicewing at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 05, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (1/5/2014 UTC) at BookRing, by mail -- Controlled Releases

Released into the re-start of my ABC (Alphabet) Bookrings - US version - Books Beginning with the Letter B. Happy travels, little book!

Journal Entry 7 by LynnGorman at New Castle, Indiana USA on Sunday, January 12, 2014
I received this book with the "B" bookring. Thanks for passing it along!

Journal Entry 8 by LynnGorman at New Castle, Indiana USA on Saturday, February 06, 2016
It was an interesting & quirky read.

Journal Entry 9 by LynnGorman at CafeRoyal-OBCZ in New Castle, Indiana USA on Tuesday, July 05, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (6/30/2016 UTC) at CafeRoyal-OBCZ in New Castle, Indiana USA

To the finder of this book:

Welcome to BookCrossing, a unique community of book lovers, who are sharing their libraries with the world. This book is now yours to read, keep, or pass along to another reader.

Each copy of a book registered at BookCrossing has a unique ID# (BCID#). We are able to follow where each book goes through this ID#. We would be very happy if you would make a journal entry to say you have found the book. It is fun for other readers of this book to see where the book has traveled-sometimes around the world!

BookCrossing is free to join, completely confidential, and you can remain anonymous (you are only known by your screen name & your e-mail is never shared). If you choose to join please consider using me, LYNNGORMAN, as your referring member.

Happy reading!