Spade & Archer

by Joe Gores | Mystery & Thrillers | This book has not been rated.
Registered by MartinaViola of Latina, Lazio Italy on 4/17/2010
Journal Entry 1 by MartinaViola from Latina, Lazio Italy on Saturday, April 17, 2010
When Sam Spade gets drawn into the Maltese Falcon case, we know what to expect: straight talk, hard questions, no favours, and no way for anyone to get underneath the protective shell he wears like a second skin. We know that his late partner, Miles Archer, was a son of a bitch; that Spade is sleeping with Archer's wife. What we don't know is how Spade became who he is. Now SPADE & ARCHER completes the picture. 1921: Spade sets up his own agency in San Francisco and clients quickly start coming through the door. The next seven years will see him dealing with booze runners, water-front thugs, stowaways, banking swindlers, gold smugglers, bumbling cops, and the illegitimate daughter of Sun Yat-sen; with murder, other men's mistresses, and long-missing money. He'll bring in Archer as a partner, though it was Archer who stole his girl while he was fighting in World War I. He'll tangle with a villain who never loses his desire to make Spade pay big for ruining what should've been the perfect crime. And he'll fall in love - though it won't turn out for the best. It never does with dames ...S PADE & ARCHER is a gritty, pitch-perfect, hard-boiled novel - the work of a master mystery writer-destined to become a classic in its own right.

Journal Entry 2 by MelibeaPotter at San Gavino Monreale, Sardegna Italy on Friday, June 15, 2012
The book is finally here with me....