A Lifetime Burning

by Linda Gillard | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 1905175256 Global Overview for this book
Registered by house-elfdobby of Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on 4/17/2010
Journal Entry 1 by house-elfdobby from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 17, 2010
This fantastic book, a signed copy to all her Bookcrossing friends from Linda Gillard, is going on a little journey as a Bookring - thanks Skyewriter !

From the back cover:
Greedy for experience but determined to be good, Flora Dunbar spends a lifetime seeking love, trying to build a future out of the wreckage of her past- an eccentric childhood spent in the shadow of her musical twin, Rory; early marriage to Hugh, a clergyman twice her age; motherhood, which brings her Theo, the son she cannot love; middle-age, when she finds brief happiness in a scandalous affair with her nephew, Colin.

Journal Entry 2 by house-elfdobby from Derby, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Saturday, April 17, 2010
Thanks for signing up for this fantastic book, I'm sure you'll love it. Usual bookray/ring rules apply:

1. Please journal the book when you receive it (and pm the next on the list for address to save delays later)
2. Then please journal it again when you've read it.
3. Finally, please journal it when you've posted it.

That way I can keep track of where it's going, or if it gets stuck anywhere and let you know. I'll pop a list on my bookshelf, so you can easily see who is next on the list to send it to. Hope the shipping order suits you all, let me know if not and hope you all enjoy reading it as much as I did. Oh and I thought it would be nice to add that if you can possibly read it within a month and then pass it on, that would be great then the others won't have to wait toooooo long as it really is very, very good :)

earthcaroleanne
kinedi (UK/EU)
the-pilot's-wife (Int'l) <------- book is here 28 July 2010
Wandering-B (Int'l)
kobie03 (Int'l)

Thanks everyone, look forward to seeing your Journal Entries and what you think of it! Have fun on your journey little book!

Journal Entry 3 by house-elfdobby at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 22, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/22/2010 UTC) at Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom

Finally! The ash has gone and it's safe to send this little book up in the air! It's on its way to earthcaroleanne .... happy travels little book!

Journal Entry 4 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, April 26, 2010
Picked this up at the post office at the weekend. Unusally no other bookrings in my bundle so I'll get started as soon as I've finished my current read.

Journal Entry 5 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, April 29, 2010
I really enjoyed this book. At first I was confused with the jumping back and forward in time but it worked, especially at the Rory/Hugh revelations. I had no idea what this book was going to be about so some of it took me a little by surprise. I found myself feeling so sorry for Flora, which is not what I expected, especially when she was saying that she only wanted to be held or touched. I think she was a really lonely woman. Rory on the other hand was not a nice person. Described as both selfish and callous by other characters and I couldn't agree more. At the end of the book I suddenly thought of The Lovely Bones but I suppose the only connection there is that both the narrators are dead.

Journal Entry 6 by wingearthcaroleannewing at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 29, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/29/2010 UTC) at By hand, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

kinedi works just one street away from me, so I'll walk it round there at lunchtime.

Journal Entry 7 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, April 29, 2010
Well, this book was waiting for me when I came back from lunch. Thanks for dropping it in and sorry I wasn't around to say Hello. Looking forward to reading this one next.

Journal Entry 8 by kinedi from Rushyford, County Durham United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 11, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed Linda Gillard's writing style again. The book flows very easily and I think the characters are all very well written. The storyline itself I found a bit far fetched and could have come out of one of those women's magazine ''I slept with my brother 'cause my husband is gay'' and the combinations of who falls in love with whom (and sleeps with) were a bit too much for me. However, as mentioned it really does speak for Linda's great writing style that I was captivated until the very end and I really wanted to find what would happen to the characters.

Journal Entry 9 by kinedi at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/1/2010 UTC) at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom

On its way to the next reader now - happy reading

Journal Entry 10 by house-elfdobby at on Wednesday, July 28, 2010
Just been updating my bookrings, thanks for sending this one on to the-pilots-wife kinedi, I know she received it but has probably just forgotten to make a JE, so sorry if you've been worrying about it's whereabouts.