The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream

by Paulo Coelho | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Amsterdam2010 of Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on 4/15/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Amsterdam2010 from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Thursday, April 15, 2010
Donated by the American Book Center for the Bookcrossing Convention 2010. Thank you!

Journal Entry 2 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, April 17, 2010
Picked this up off the book buffet at the 2010 BookCrossing Convention in Amsterdam. It's supposed to be really good - thanks!

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing at -- Geocaches, Virginia USA on Thursday, December 22, 2011
A shepherd boy in southern Spain dreams of finding his fortune at the Pyramids in Egypt. Shortly thereafter he meets a king who convinces him to journey to the Pyramids because this is his Personal Legend. So this is the story of the boy’s pursuit of his Personal Legend. One of the rules of writing that is repeated so often it’s almost a cliche is “show, don’t tell”. Well, this is one of those books that demonstrates that not all rules must be followed. Pretty much everything is told here: the characters’ innermost thoughts and intentions, everything that happens and the reason for it, and the outcome of all actions. And you know what? That’s just fine. This is a fable, and it’s clear from the start that you are being told this story rather than experiencing it along with the characters. I did find it a bit preachy at times, when “follow your dreams” and “never give up” might as well have been blinking neon lights, but by and large it was a pleasant little tale which I’m sure many people (less cynical people than I, that is) would find quite inspiring and uplifting.

Journal Entry 4 by wingmelydiawing at Ballston Common Mall in Arlington, Virginia USA on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/28/2012 UTC) at Ballston Common Mall in Arlington, Virginia USA

Bringing this to the BCinDC meetup at Ballston Mall in Arlington, VA. I hope it doesn't come home with me.

Journal Entry 5 by beautyredefined at Arlington, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 28, 2012
I picked this up at the BCinDC meetup this afternoon. I'm a sucker for books like this. I look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 6 by beautyredefined at Washington, District of Columbia USA on Sunday, January 29, 2012
This was a very quick read; one you didn't really want to put down. It was a compelling story about a Spanish shepherd on his own personal journey. I'm not sure it will change my personal philosophy about life, the universe, and everything, but it's a good story, and it encourages thought about the nature of things around us.

I plan on setting the book free today for it to continue its own journey.

Journal Entry 7 by beautyredefined at Rose Park in Washington, District of Columbia USA on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/29/2012 UTC) at Rose Park in Washington, District of Columbia USA

I'll leave this on a bench near the playgrounds in Rose Park.