The Death of Vishnu: A Novel

by Manil Suri | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 006000438x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingSqueakyChuwing of Rockville, Maryland USA on 4/9/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Friday, April 09, 2010
This book was purchased at the Friends of the Library used book store in Rockville, Maryland.

Journal Entry 2 by wingSqueakyChuwing at Union Station in Washington, District of Columbia USA on Friday, April 09, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/10/2010 UTC) at Union Station in Washington, District of Columbia USA

This book is being released at Union Station Washington, DC.

Here's what I wrote about this book when I read it in 2004:

With just the right touch of humor, the author brings us a story of relationships between residents of an apartment building in Bombay. Vishnu, resident of the first floor landing, is dying in full view of all apartment residents. First floor apartment residents, Mrs. Arani and Mrs. Pathak, disagree as to what to do about this situation and demand that the husbands of each decide. During this painful process, the Asrani’s daughter Kavita tries to decide whether or not to elope with Salim Jalal who lives on the second floor. Arifa, Salim’s mother, becomes concerned about her husband’s increasingly aberrant behavior such as sleeping one night next to the dying man Vishnu. .

The stories of these apartment dwellers and other related people become hopelessly and amusingly intertwined as the plot develops. There is love and feuding and life and death. Within the story, Hindu mythology abounds. At the end of the story, a glossary highlights the terms unfamiliar to the Western reader. Within the story, there’s the incredibly rich writing of a debut novelist with a promising literary future.

I'm actually giving this book to crrcookie and melydia to take to Amsterdam with them to the Bookcrossing International Convention for 2010. The reason I'm sending this book is because its author teaches math at UMBC (University of Maryland, Baltimore County). That's where my daughter graduated from college over a year ago. Maryland is the state in which I live with my family. I've read and loved this book. It's the first of a trilogy. I hope whoever chooses this book likes it as much as I did.

Dear Reader:
I'm so glad you have this book. If you are new to BookCrossing, welcome! I hope you'll leave a journal entry that you now have this book and again later to let others know what you thought of it. Should you decide to join BookCrossing (free), I'd be delighted if you would name me, SqueakyChu, as your referring person. You may keep the book you chose or pass it along for someone else to enjoy.

Journal Entry 3 by wingmelydiawing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Saturday, April 10, 2010
Squeakychu gave this to me to take to the 2010 BookCrossing Convention in Amsterdam, which I shall surely do. Thanks! :D

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Found this at the Convention's book buffet...

... can't resist any Indian authors...

Thanks for bringing it over!

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Sunday, May 02, 2010
A brilliant novel set in Bombay/Mumbai, in an apartment block that seems like a microcosm of Indian society - it contains it all... Indian mythology, Bollywood, religious conflicts, family issues etc. It's a very amibitious debut novel, and characters are depicted very well (that's the real strength of the book), written in an engaging style. Recommendable!

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, May 03, 2010
Bookray: (completed)
- sing-on-a-star, UK, ship EU
- shovelmonkey1, UK, ship EU (intl if needed)
- bookmaniac70, Bulgaria, ship EU
- kalise, Austria, ship EU
- Icila, France - end of ray

The usual:
- Someone will PM you for your address, PM them back and provide your address
- When you receive the book, please make a journal entry letting everyone know that you received it
- Please try to finish it within six weeks
- When the end is in sight, check the book's journal and PM the next person to get their address
- Make another journal entry and let everyone know what you thought of the book
- Make release notes to let everyone know that it's in the mail
- Send the book to the next person on the list
- Last person: Would you ray it forward???
If delayed make sure to let us know so that the ray will not stop.
(If you are very new, you must at least be active, i.e. having registered and released books.)

Journal Entry 7 by wingApoloniaXwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, May 09, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/10/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to sing-on-a-star. Hope you like it!

Journal Entry 8 by sing-on-a-star from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Thursday, May 13, 2010
Thanks for the book ApoloniaX (and the personalised labels!). I've just returned from a month in India so I am really looking forward to this. Almost finished the book I'm reading so I will start this very soon.

Journal Entry 9 by sing-on-a-star from Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 18, 2010
I loved this book and read the first half of it in a day. The characters are vividly depicted and are comic as well as (in some cases) tragic at the same time. The interweaving of the characters in the setting of the apartment block they share has produced a cleverly crafted novel.

Journal Entry 10 by sing-on-a-star at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Monday, May 31, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/1/2010 UTC) at Manchester, Greater Manchester United Kingdom

Sending to Shovelmonkey1, the next reader in the ray.....enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Thursday, June 03, 2010
Arrived at the office today and was brought to me, along with a whole load of geotechnical gubbins, by my faithful office buddy - Dana the amazing GIS smurf! Thanks Dana! Thanks also to sing-0n-a-star for sending this book on with a lovely little carved wooden bookmark and some cool pics of the Taj. Very appropriate! I've got half a book to read before I get on to this one so it should not be long before it's travelling on again.

Journal Entry 12 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Thursday, June 10, 2010
Started reading today (thanks for introducing me to more Indian Literature ApoloniaX)...

Journal Entry 13 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Saturday, June 12, 2010
Entertaining and well written, this book follows a pattern for Indian Literature, similar to one set by Rohinton Mistry in the Tales of Firozsha Bag. I've never been to India but I have read a lot of Indian Lit and I am now decidedly of the opinion that all middle aged ladies in India are shrill domestic tyrants who like nothing better than the squabble with their neighbours while desperately trying to keep up an appearance of social superiority. Really, i'm sure this is not the case but that is how they always get portrayed, probably because the domestic life may be their one true sphere of influence.

I was also wondering if the arrangement of people sleeping on the stairs outside the apartments was some kind of metaphor for the caste system?

Journal Entry 14 by shovelmonkey1 at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom on Saturday, June 12, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/12/2010 UTC) at Liverpool, Merseyside United Kingdom

This book is now travelling to Bulgaria to bookmaniac70 who is next on the ring/ray list. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by bookmaniac70 at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Monday, June 21, 2010
Received, thanks!

Journal Entry 16 by bookmaniac70 at София / Sofia, Sofiya Bulgaria on Tuesday, June 29, 2010
It was a good, nice book. The inhabitants of the house are like a small society. Within it one can find contempt, pity, vanity, deception, gossip and little compassion. I liked the subtle humour in depicting their everyday interactions. No one is changing for better except poor Vishnu whose death recreates the best moments of his life. What was the meaning behind his transformation? Was it to show that after being despised and outcast during his lifetime, he retained his dignity and happiness? Or it was only an illusion of a dying man? It`s hard to say. A comical and sad tale of India with all its complexity and controversy.

Journal Entry 17 by bookmaniac70 at St. Stefan im Gailtal, Kärnten Austria on Friday, July 02, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/2/2010 UTC) at St. Stefan im Gailtal, Kärnten Austria

Sent to next participant via surface mail.

Journal Entry 18 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Sunday, July 11, 2010
The book arrived here in Austria! Thank you! I will try to get to it ASAP.

Journal Entry 19 by kalise at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria on Thursday, July 29, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/29/2010 UTC) at Linz, Oberösterreich Austria

Beautiful, vivid prose and superbly written! Very interesting multi-layered story. Thank you for sharing!

I sent the book on to the next participant, Icila in France, today.

Journal Entry 20 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, August 11, 2010
The book arrived this morning, thanks !

Journal Entry 21 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Wednesday, February 03, 2016
Typical of all the book written about the life in an apartment block wherever around the word, the Indian touch add a lot of fun (for the reader).

I already read a lot about the way of life of the middle-class in India (The marriage bureau series for instance).

I didn't get the message from Vishnu himself though. For me it was a boring part of the book.

Reserved for A Little Bit of Everything VBB