Our Tragic Universe

by Scarlett Thomas | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingcanongatebookswing on 4/9/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingcanongatebookswing on Friday, April 09, 2010
‘I was reading about the end of the universe when I got a text message from my friend Libby . . .'

If Kelsey Newman's theory about the end of time is true, we are all going to live forever. But for Meg – locked in a dead-end relationship and with a deadline long-gone for a book that she can't write – this thought fills her with dread. Meg is lost in a labyrinth of her own devising. But could there be an important connection between a wild beast living on Dartmoor, a ship in a bottle, the science of time, a knitting pattern for the shape of the universe and the Cottingley Fairies? Or is her life just one long chain of coincidences?

Smart, entrancing and buzzing with big ideas, Our Tragic Universe is a book about how relationships are created and destroyed, and how a story might just save your life.

Note: This was sent as a Canongate Books giveaway. If you've found this book, I hope you enjoy it and please post a journal entry telling us about YOUR fabric of the universe.

More about the book:

Journal Entry 2 by inkognitoh from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, April 12, 2010
I was just quitely lamenting having left my book at home as I'd transferred everything from my handbag to backpack so that I could cycle to work this week when I noticed this package in the mail tray. I am thrilled to have a shiny new Scarlett Thomas book to read and can't wait to dive right in. Good weather, a great read and a boat moored within cycling distance of the office. Spring has truly sprung!

Journal Entry 3 by inkognitoh at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 28, 2010
I had such high hopes for this book as I thoroughly adored The End of Mr Y. The pace of the novel was slow going to begin with and I was comfortable with that as the characters were all relatively engaging and something interesting seemed to be unfurling plotwise. The 'writing about writing' element bothered me a lot and seemed a tad lazy however I was willing to overlook it and couldn't wait to see how the Cottingley Fairies became involved and was sorely disappointed to find that they didn't really...

All in all, it feels like the author's experimental novel - her 'literary novel' as opposed to a genre piece? - didn't quite hit hte mark for me and I'm afraid I've turned to something more formulaic to cleanse my reading palate.

Journal Entry 4 by inkognitoh at Ayers Rock Resort Lodge in Yulara, Northern Territory Australia on Saturday, May 29, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (5/29/2010 UTC) at Ayers Rock Resort Lodge in Yulara, Northern Territory Australia

I handed this book to an AAT Kings driver at the airport to pass on to the very excellent tour guide who had the misfortune to have guided me for days up and around two different sets of rocks. She had expressed an interest in Scarlett Thomas and I told her that if I finished the book while in the red centre, I'd leave it at reception or somewhere for her. As it happened it nearly came back to Sydney on plane with me as I was still reading it in the airport as I prepared for departure. Hopefully it finds it's way to the right person and if not then into the hands of an equally grateful reader.