Salem's Lot

by Stephen King | Horror |
Registered by Sherria of Bethel, Connecticut USA on 7/4/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Friday, July 04, 2003
Vintage King - it sucks me right in every time i read it.

If you're interested in this book, please PM me.

Journal Entry 2 by Soraidh from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Friday, August 01, 2003
Just got in the mail today! You're fast Sherri but I won't let it get around. It looks great. Can't wait to start it.

Journal Entry 3 by Soraidh from St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, September 07, 2003
Definitely vintage King. I found myself reading and not knowing why. In fact, I commented to Sherria one night that the book was annoying me because I was almost half way through and still hadn't got to the real "point" of the story! But I kept reading. I kept picking up the book. And that to me is what makes a book a "good" book. Being annoyed and still picking it up again and again. Anne Rice may have made a name for herself in vampire fiction but this by far blows her stories out of the water.

In typical King fashion no one is safe. Almost from the beginning you know a few who will fail in the struggle but you keep reading, hoping you're wrong. The book is a lesson in good versus evil cloaked in horror's clothes. King has an amazing ability to place ideas of morality so squarely in front of you that reading you never see them.

The beginning of the book is "slow" and if you're like me you may find yourself wondering why you're reading. Toward the middle, when things start happening, the book becomes almost impossible to put down. I read this book at work and I would start dreading the time when I'd have to put it down because it meant putting off finding out how King would resolve the issue. One of the amazing things I noticed in the book is that it is almost at the end of the book before one of the main characters utters the word "vampire" in complete seriousness when the readers are aware from nearly the beginning that yes, this is the creature they with which they are dealing. That type of detail leads to an perfectly believable story about a town being taken over by vampires.

Happily sending this one off on 9/8/03 to midwinter to continue the chain Sherria generously started.

Journal Entry 4 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Monday, January 19, 2004
Getting caught up on registering books. This one is going to Mount TBR - I'll write a proper journal entry once its been read!

Journal Entry 5 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, April 22, 2004
Up for offer on the Journal Entry Karma Relay on the bookrelay site. See Sora? I promised I'd have it done soon ;) I'm just over 100 pages in, and am finding it surprisingly good. I usually detest Stephen King, but he hasn't done anything to offend me yet. We'll see how the rest of the story goes...

Journal Entry 6 by midwinter from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, May 05, 2004
Wow. I've spent the last few years absolutely loathing King. I generally find his writing shoddy and crass, but I keep reading in the hopes I'll find a hidden gem. This book is that gem. It had characters i could identify with, and a plot that kept me hanging on. The only problem is that, being a huge Buffy fan, it's hard to read vampire fiction w/out drawing comparisons. I kept putting the book down to rant to my cat, or my mom, or whoever happened to be near. "What? You mean she didn't *poof* into dust? What kind of vampire hack is this guy? Doesn't Stephen King know how it's done? Buffy'd kick his a**." -ahem-
Another thing that really sucked me in was the setting. The book takes place in rural New England around 1975. I was born in that part of the country at that point in time, and it was a fascinating little slice of life - the small town with the diner, the bar, the hardware store...county hospital. All the little details were so clear and engrossing.
Goodness, listen to me gush about a King book, will ya?
Anyhoo - I'm sorry to have stalled this book's journeys for so long. To make up for the downtime, I'm sending it overseas - one big travel jump.

Off to aset01 in France!

Journal Entry 7 by aset01 from Carpentras, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Wednesday, July 07, 2004
Thank you a lot. I have read some Stephen King books and haven't found a good yet. I will give this a try !

Released 14 yrs ago (9/20/2005 UTC) at Terradou bus Carpentras-Avignon in Carpentras, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France

je laisserai ce libre dans le bus qui part de Carpentras à 7h30 demain matin

Journal Entry 9 by aset01 from Carpentras, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur France on Monday, September 19, 2005
Not a very good book. I mean that i read a lot more frightening vampire story. deceiving