Of Mice and Men

by John Steinbeck | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by cyber-librarian of Cary, North Carolina USA on 7/3/2003
Journal Entry 1 by cyber-librarian from Cary, North Carolina USA on Thursday, July 03, 2003
I bought this last Saturday (6/28) at St. Peter's rummage sale in town for 75 cents.

c. 1937 -- 118 pages -- Paperback -- Reading Level: VLM 5; IL 9-adult -- #12 on the Radcliffe Publishing 100 Best Novels list -- BBC's "The Big Read" top 100 books list -- #99 on The 100 Favorite Novels of Librarians list -- #80 on BookCrossing 2008 Favorites list -- #10 on My Top 20 Favorites list -- starwarsfreak Top 20 Favorites list

Back Cover: Traveling across America in search of who you are -- now they do it on cycles, in cars, by bus or in the time-honored tradition of foot and thumb. The wanderers of today may wear their hair long and speak a different jargon, but their trip is one that men (and women) have taken for as long as this country has been pushing at its frontiers.

John Steinbeck writes of such a trip in "Of Mice and Men:" the desperate longing of men for some kind of home -- roots that they can believe in, land that they can care for -- and the painful search for self. This beautiful, timeless novel speaks of the love that men can feel for each other -- one inarticulate, dumb, sometimes violent in his need; the other clever, hopeful, and tied to a responsibility he thinks he doesn't want.

Update: PROMISED to sgscarcliff when I'm done reading it. (9/17/03)

Journal Entry 2 by cyber-librarian from Cary, North Carolina USA on Monday, March 22, 2004
I finished this book today ... and we plan on watching the movie very soon. Such a powerful book and put together so well. My son and daughter both remember reading this in high school and highly recommended it. Now I fully understand all the Bugs Bunny cartoons about George and Lenny and the rabbits. You have to feel so sorry for Lenny .... and George was such a great friend ... yet will never get over what he had to do. Everyone else might already know this ... but I did learn that a "tart" is a prostitute.

UPDATE: We did watch the movie last weekend. It was very nicely done and as deeply moving as the book. As movies-based-on-books should, it followed the story line almost perfectly. The one line that greatly caught my attention in the movie that I brushed over in the book .... is when Curly says to George: "I should have shot my dog myself. I shouldn't have left it for a stranger to do." Wow! That means so much more the 2nd time around.

Released on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 at trade in Mailed to fellow bookcrosser, Postal Release Controlled Releases.

I'm mailing this today to sgscarcliff in CA ... as part of a long-awaited multi-book trade. Thank you for your patience in allowing me to read this first. Sorry it took so long.

Journal Entry 4 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Wednesday, March 31, 2004
Thank you so much for the book. I will read and pass on

Journal Entry 5 by wingsgscarcliffwing on Monday, April 12, 2004
I will finish reading this today or tomorrow. I am enjoying it.

I am offering it up in the Local Interest bookrelay (it could fit many other relays) Steinbeck lived in and wrote about various parts of Central California. This book takes place a little south of San Francisco

Journal Entry 6 by Catwoman from Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Monday, May 03, 2004
Received in the mail today. Thanks for sharing this book with me.

Journal Entry 7 by Catwoman from Sherwood Park, Alberta Canada on Sunday, July 11, 2004
Finished this book today. Love Steinbeck's writing, even though it's about sad events. I remember seeing the movie about this book a long time ago, and remember being shocked and disturbed by the ending.

Journal Entry 8 by Catwoman at on Friday, August 13, 2004
Released on Friday, August 13, 2004 at Mailed to a fellow Bookcrosser in n/a, n/a Controlled Releases.

Mailed to dotcom-canazei today.

Journal Entry 9 by wingdotcom-canazeiwing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Thursday, August 19, 2004
Arrival to day in ITALY!!!! I'ts ready to traveling in europe!!!!
Thanks to Catwoman!!!!!!

Journal Entry 10 by vivena on Friday, August 20, 2004
Great, an american book in my bookshelf!
I have to thank Dot-com who let me take it. I'll read with my English dictionary, but it shouldn't be a hard work.

Journal Entry 11 by vivena at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Lazio Italy on Friday, January 16, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (1/15/2009 UTC) at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Lazio Italy

Partito!