The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices

by Xinran | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 3/29/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Monday, March 29, 2010
Xuē Xīnrán (薛欣然, pen name Xinran) is a British-Chinese journalist and broadcaster, born in Beijing in 1958.
In the late 1980s, she began working for Chinese Radio and went on to become one of China's most successful journalists. In 1997 she moved to London, where she initially worked as cleaner. In London, she began work on her seminal book about Chinese women's lives The Good Women of China, a memoir relating many of the stories she heard while hosting her radio show ("Words on the Night Breeze") in China. The book is a candid revelation of many Chinese women's thoughts and experiences that took place both during and after the Cultural Revolution when Chairman Mao and Communism ruled the land. The book was published in 2002 and has been translated into over thirty languages.
Sky Burial, her second book, was published in 2004. This is the story of Shu Wen, whose husband, only a few months after their marriage in the 1950s, joined the Chinese army and was sent to Tibet for the purpose of unification of the two cultures.
A collection of Xinran’s Guardian columns from 2003 to 2005, What the Chinese Don't Eat, was published in 2006. It covers a vast range of topics from food to sex education, and from the experiences of British mothers who have adopted Chinese daughters, to whether Chinese people do Christmas shopping or have swimming pools.
Xinran's first novel Miss Chopsticks was published in July 2007. It explores the uneasy relationship between Chinese "migrant workers" and the cities they flock to. China's economic reform is changing the role of its chopstick girls. Once a disposable burden, they can now take city jobs as waitresses, masseuses, factory line workers and cleaners, They bring bundles of cash home, earning them unprecedented respect in patriarchal villages, as well as winning the respect and hearts of city dwellers.
Xinran’s fifth book, China Witness: Voices from a Silent Generation was published in the UK in October 2008. It is based on twenty years worth of interviews conducted by Xinran with the last two generations in China. She hopes it will, ‘restore a real modern history of China, from real people after most historical evidence was destroyed in the Culture Revolution’. She followed this in February 2010, with the publication of Message from an Unknown Chinese Mother, a collection of heartbreaking stories from Chinese mothers who have lost or had to abandon children.
In August 2004 Xinran set up ‘The Mothers’ Bridge of Love’ (MBL). MBL reaches out to Chinese children in all corners of the world; by creating a bridge of understanding between China and the West and between adoptive culture and birth culture, MBL ultimately wants to help bridge the huge poverty gap which still exists in many parts of China. The MBL book for adoptive families, Mother's Bridge of Love, came third in TIME magazine’s list of the top ten children’s books of 2007.
Xinran often advises western media (including BBC and Sky) about western relations with China, and makes frequent television and radio appearances. She is a member of the Advisory Board of the Asia House Festival of Asian Literature.
(Wikipedia)

***************************************
This is an excellent book about China, one that really gets under your skin.
I absolutely agree with what's written on the back cover:
'This is a book from deep in the heart of China. As shocking as it is revealing... An extraordinary and eye-opening read' (Jon Snow)
or
'Xinran's Good Women of China are all strong, strikingly resourceful characters who offer unforgetable insights into the past and present of Chinese women's lives' (The Times)
Highly recommenable!!!

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at East Asian VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (7/28/2010 UTC) at East Asian VBB, Virtual Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Travelling to jumpingin,
who chose it from the East Asian VBB.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingjumpinginwing at North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Friday, August 20, 2010
Thank you, ApoloniaX, for another great bookbox. This book sounds so compelling--I'm looking forward to reading it. Thanks also for the chopsticks in their adorable case!

Journal Entry 4 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, January 01, 2012
Thanks so much for sharing this book, ApoloniaX. The stories touched me and will stay with me for a long time.

This book will soon be travelling to its next reader.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/4/2012 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Sent to the person who won this book in ApoloniaX's Asian VBB raffle. I hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 6 by megami-no-ushi at Brattleboro, Vermont USA on Saturday, January 14, 2012
This arrived in the mail so I guess I won the raffle for this book! Thanks so much -it looks like it will be a book that is right up my alley!

Journal Entry 7 by megami-no-ushi at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Wednesday, July 09, 2014
What a great book - I really enjoyed the breadth of the stories presented by Xinran. Despite such painful details in many of the stories, the strength of Chinese women shines through.

Journal Entry 8 by megami-no-ushi at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, July 12, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (7/12/2014 UTC) at Cravings Market Restaurant in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the meetup for this month's theme!

To the finder:

Journal Entry 9 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Monday, July 14, 2014
Picked up at get together

Journal Entry 10 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 09, 2015
Not an easy read, but an important one. Right from the prologue through the epilogue, I feel that Xinran has done a true job of communicating her own and the other women's experiences.

Thank you for sharing their stories.

Journal Entry 11 by Eri-Cherry at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 13, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (6/13/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to get together

Journal Entry 12 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, June 13, 2015
Picked up at the June meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers, at Cravings Market Restaurant

Journal Entry 13 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, October 20, 2015
So many heart-breaking stories from the women of China, primarily during the Cultural Revolution. These stories will stay with me for some time!

Journal Entry 14 by wingfraculawing at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, November 14, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (11/14/2015 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Taking to the November meet-up of Calgary BookCrossers at Cravings Market Café, to go home with a new reader.

Journal Entry 15 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Sunday, November 15, 2015
Picked this up at November's Calgary meeting. We had 14 BookCrossers and a lot of books. Thanks, these meeting are so much fun and I always get such great books to read. Adding this one to my TBR shelves.

Journal Entry 16 by Crossing-Guard at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Saturday, May 13, 2017

Released 1 yr ago (5/13/2017 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

I have too many books at present so am returning this to the group. Taking this to the May meeting.

Journal Entry 17 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Brought this home from the May meetup at Cravings.

Journal Entry 18 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 08, 2019
Powerful story about the lives of real women living in China at a time when so many changes were happening and the impact it had on their lives.

Journal Entry 19 by sing-song at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Friday, February 08, 2019

Released 2 mos ago (2/9/2019 UTC) at Calgary, Alberta Canada

Time to take a smaller stack of books to the February meetup at Cravings.

Journal Entry 20 by BookyMcBooks at Calgary, Alberta Canada on Thursday, February 14, 2019
Picked this up at the February Calgary BookCrossing Meetup.