The Falls

by Karen Harper | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by hbriggs1031 of Georgetown, Texas USA on 7/2/2003
Journal Entry 1 by hbriggs1031 from Georgetown, Texas USA on Wednesday, July 02, 2003
Early one morning Claire Malvern awakes to an empty bed-and her husband missing. There is no trace of Keith Malvern - only an eyewitness who claims a man jumped off the bridge at Bloodroot Falls in the middles of the night.

It is the spectacular waterfall that first drew Claire and Keith away from their fast-paced, high-tech careers to pursue the dream of opening a bed-and-breakfast in the rustic lodge above Bloodroot River. But the dream becomes a nightmare when Keith's body is found snagged in the river rapids, his death ruled a suicide.

Claire knows her husband would never take his own life. But Local sheriff Nick Braden thinks her suspicions of foul play are unfounded. Despite his skeptisism, Nick and Claire start digging into her husbands past ... and what they uncover paints a shocking portrait of what really happened that September night...

This was a really good book. So good, in fact, I think I will start a ray. I absolutely enjoyed this read.

Journal Entry 2 by hbriggs1031 from Georgetown, Texas USA on Wednesday, July 02, 2003
This ray is CLOSED!

Zyana -- Europe
joasik -- Poland
16stepper -- Arizona
tuff517 -- Texas

Journal Entry 3 by hbriggs1031 at BookRay in Round Rock, Texas USA on Thursday, July 03, 2003
Release planned for Tuesday, July 15, 2003 at BookRay in Round Rock, Texas USA.

Sending off to #1, raynebair

Journal Entry 4 by raynebair from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Friday, July 25, 2003
Just received in the mail. I'll read as soon as I finish my current book!

Journal Entry 5 by raynebair from Montgomery, Alabama USA on Saturday, August 09, 2003
Finished last night. Waiting on an address from lisabb2, then I'll send it along the ray. I enjoyed this book. The author did try to make you wonder about Claire and I really wasn't expecting the ending. Not that I was expecting something else, but it was like I just couldn't figure out the mystery. I look forward to reading more by Karen Harper.

Released on Monday, August 11, 2003 at USPS - Mailing to fellow BookCrosser in Montgomery, Alabama USA.

sending on to lisabb2.

Journal Entry 7 by lisabb2 from Grimes, Iowa USA on Thursday, August 14, 2003
Got this book in the mail today. I will read and send it on it's journey!!!! Thanks.

Journal Entry 8 by lisabb2 from Grimes, Iowa USA on Monday, August 25, 2003
This was a really good book. It kept you guessing and was hard to put down. I will look for more Karen Harper books to read!!!

Journal Entry 9 by lisabb2 from Grimes, Iowa USA on Monday, August 25, 2003
Mailed to Sissyrun in CA today. Happy reading!!!

Journal Entry 10 by Sissyrun from Modesto, California USA on Sunday, August 31, 2003
Yeah, my turn, my turn. Really excited to read this book! Thanks for the bookray, MsPooh.

Journal Entry 11 by Sissyrun from Modesto, California USA on Thursday, September 04, 2003
I really enjoyed this book. It kept me guessing who was after Claire. The twists were entertaining. I'm going to try other books by this author.

Mailed today (9/4/03) to pambueno.

Journal Entry 12 by pambueno from Ramona, California USA on Saturday, September 06, 2003
Recieved this book in the mail today!! I will read it soon and journel more after I read it!!

Journal Entry 13 by pambueno from Ramona, California USA on Sunday, September 14, 2003
I am about 2/3 ways through this book. I apologise that I am taking so long with this book! Due to the fact that we are in the process of moving my daughter into the dorms at college and my son is currently home on his first leave I have not had much time to read as I usually would. I hope to finish this book in the next week and a half! Otherwise it is a very good book!

Journal Entry 14 by pambueno from Ramona, California USA on Tuesday, December 02, 2003
I neglected to journal!!! This book went out in the mail to Sherria over a week ago! Hopefully she will receive it soon!

This book had many plot turns which made it quite difficult to figure out who done it! I truely enjoyed it!

Journal Entry 15 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Thursday, December 25, 2003
Got this a few days ago, in the midst of holiday madness. I have a few other rings/rays before it, but I'll get to it ASAP.

Journal Entry 16 by Sherria from Bethel, Connecticut USA on Wednesday, January 14, 2004
Thanks for sharing this book MsPooh. It was just what I needed, after reading a couple of more serious novels.

The Falls was a mystery, but I didn't fell like i had to really concentrate on it or get emotionally involved with the characters. I was able to just breeze through it and enjoy. There was nothing really heavy about it, and nothing really surprising. It was just good entertainment. It didn't need to be anything more than that.

I'll be sending this on to the next participant as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 17 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Monday, March 22, 2004
arrived at my mailbox -

update:
What a great story, I am now looking forward to read more from this author.

goes to the next member.

Journal Entry 18 by nikel27 at Post Office in BookRay, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, June 20, 2004
Released on Sunday, June 20, 2004 at Post Office in BookRay, Ginsheim Controlled Releases.

sorry took me a bit longer in reading as I thought.

Journal Entry 19 by tho on Thursday, July 08, 2004
Received today - will start reading it soon.

Journal Entry 20 by tho on Saturday, July 17, 2004
Finished last night - a quick read and a nice mystery novel, neither too bad or too good ... The plot is somewhat entertaining but not enough to make me really enjoy the book.

Will be mailed to talkland next week.

Journal Entry 21 by talkland from Eastbourne, East Sussex United Kingdom on Monday, August 16, 2004
I have really tried to get into this book but have failed so I am passing it along to the next reader, which is Loopy!

Journal Entry 22 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 07, 2004
This book arrived safely in Kent - this afternoon when I'd given up hope of any parcels for the day!

I first signed up for this book quite a while ago, and since then the first few pages turned up on www.dearreader.com, which whetted my appetite for reading the whole book. Thanks, I'm looking forward to this.

Journal Entry 23 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 28, 2004
I enjoyed this book, as did DH, who kept it entertained while it awaited my attention. He reckoned there was no way you could work out the ending, but I did have a reasonably close idea by the end.
The writing and plotting felt a little clumsy and contrived at times, but maybe I've just read so much good literature since bookcrossing that the average novel suffers in comparison. Anyway, I really enjoyed the escapism and the image of the Falls in this book. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 24 by loopy1 from Herne Bay, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, October 17, 2004
Apologies for the delay on this book. I have Zyana's address and will be posting the book on immediately after payday.

Journal Entry 25 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Thursday, December 23, 2004
I received this one several weeks ago but forgot to journal it. I shall start reading it in a couple of days. I appologise for the delay but this season is always somewhat hectic!

Journal Entry 26 by Zyana from Porto - City, Porto Portugal on Monday, February 21, 2005
The Falls striked me as a pitiful fall into the mist of bad fiction. I found the opening very promising but the whole thing, from plot to character development started to derail just after a few pages. The implausible developments, such as the bachelor bid-off, became not only incomprehensible but downright annoying. The dialogs were at times witty but more often than not they sounded displaced and unrealistic ...
The whole thing was like watching a cliché-rich B-flick. Nick's chivalry and hero complex was asphyxiating at times and Claire's nature turned from fiercely stubborn and bright to downright sappy. The remainder of the characters came across as one-dimensional and the outcome was ... well ... unsatisfying.
On the upside the book managed to (just) keep me entertained enough to see it to the end.
Thanks MsPooh for sharing this one!

I'll be mailing "The Falls" to joasik tomorrow.

Journal Entry 27 by joasik from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Saturday, March 05, 2005
Just received it, thanks!

Journal Entry 28 by joasik at Post Office in Legionowo, Mazowieckie Poland on Monday, March 28, 2005

Released 15 yrs ago (3/25/2005 UTC) at Post Office in Legionowo, Mazowieckie Poland

Mailed to the next person in the bookring!

Journal Entry 29 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Sunday, April 03, 2005
Arrived from Poland -- thank you, Joasik! Will read next.

Journal Entry 30 by 16stepper from Gilbert, Arizona USA on Monday, April 11, 2005
I sat down to read this a week ago and finished it in one sitting. I thought I had already journaled it. Sorry! This was wonderful standard escape fare. Kept my interest and my attention off other, less interesting things (like housework and taxes). Will PM the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 31 by 16stepper at Bookray in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Released 15 yrs ago (4/13/2005 UTC) at Bookray in by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Sending on its way to Texas. Travel safely, little book!

Journal Entry 32 by tuff517 from Elk Grove Village, Illinois USA on Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Received this today, will start ASAP.

Journal Entry 33 by tuff517 from Elk Grove Village, Illinois USA on Tuesday, May 03, 2005
**WARNING: MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS**

To me this was more of a romance book than a mystery. Although I was eager to find out who was behind all of the trouble. I didn't believe it was Dee Dee for a minute, though I did figure she had a big crush on the Sheriff. The one thing that bothered me is that here is Claire, her husband is missing, hasn't even been found dead yet, and she's already hot for Nick. I think if the author had introduced the idea that they had a troubled marriage earlier in the book I wouldn't have rolled my eyes throughout most of the book. It was a nice, light read, though. Thank you for sharing.

The next two people have notes on their pages that they would like to be skipped on bookrings, so I'll be saving this one and seeing if anyone would like to read it at the next San Antonio BookCrossing Gathering I go to on May 19th.

Journal Entry 34 by tuff517 at Oriental Theater in Chicago, Illinois USA on Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (3/15/2006 UTC) at Oriental Theater in Chicago, Illinois USA