Nights at the Circus

by Angela Carter | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by katrinat of Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on 3/28/2010
Journal Entry 1 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Sunday, March 28, 2010
I'm currently reading this and loving it and offering it as an INTL bookring as I'd love to see what other people make of the story of Fevvers

Bookring participants:
ChrissyHam (UK, EU posting if poss) near to start
Caroley (UK, EU posting if poss)
cally-c (UK, EU posting if poss)
Tsjara (Netherlands, EU pref)

back to me

wendyv (Aus, INTL)
ealasaidmae (US, INTL)

Released 8 yrs ago (4/3/2010 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Hope you all enjoy it x

Journal Entry 3 by ChrissyHam from Bristol, not specified not specified on Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Just arrived today in Holland (my husband forwarded it on for me from England) as I'm working over here for another couple of weeks. Thanks Katrinat for sending this. I'm looking forward to reading it and will get to it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 4 by ChrissyHam from Bristol, not specified not specified on Sunday, May 02, 2010
Finished this today on the car ferry as I moved back from the Netherlands to England. It's a strange book, but entertaining and well writtem with really interesting characters. Thanks for sharing it. Will get it on its travels again soon.

Journal Entry 5 by ChrissyHam at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (5/4/2010 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

posted off today...

Journal Entry 6 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, May 10, 2010
Received today thanks.

This'll be next up after my current read.

Journal Entry 7 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, May 21, 2010
This has taken a lot longer to read than I anticipated. This was mostly because although I liked the book, I just didn't 'love' it, and in places I struggled to get into it as much as I usually do with a book I'm enjoying.
I honestly can't see why this would have been put onto the 1001 list. It was ok, quite an interesting idea for a book, but I can't see what was special about it. Nothing about it stood out for me.

That said, I'm grateful for having had the chance to read it and find that out for myself, and to cross it off the list. Thanks for sharing Katrinat, I'll move it along asap.

Journal Entry 8 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Sunday, May 23, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (5/23/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted 2nd class to cally-c

Journal Entry 9 by wingcally-cwing from Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Sunday, May 30, 2010
Arrived last week - haven't been able to journal it till now.
Will read next

Journal Entry 10 by wingcally-cwing at Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 15, 2010
I really liked this read, I loved the 'magical realism' aspect of it.

Tsjara has asked to be skipped, so this is on its way back to katrinat tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 11 by wingcally-cwing at Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (6/16/2010 UTC) at Alfreton, Derbyshire United Kingdom

Off to Katrinat

Journal Entry 12 by wingTsjarawing at Heiloo, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, August 08, 2010
Found this waiting for me when I got back from holiday. Thanks for sending me this as an RABCK katrinat! This sounds like an interesting read, looking forward to it :)

Journal Entry 13 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 28, 2014
I have finally read this book (sorry for holding on to it so long).
It took me a while to really get into the story, but after that I enjoyed it very much.
The first part starts with Sophie Fevvers (Feathers :p) and her adopted mother Lizzie (who seems to have some witchy powers) telling her fantastical story to Jack Walzer (the American journalist - who is determined to prove she is a fake).
In the second part Walzer has decided to follow Fevvers and joined the circus in St Petersburg. After which the Colonel plans to travel with his circus across Siberia to Japan...
The writing is very good (there are also quite some references to literature, comments on feminism, (anti-)capitalism, religion, and probably some more things I missed), lots of interesting characters and a bit of magical realism... a strange but entertaining read.

I am continuing the bookray:
Book info: small paperback, weighs about 163 grams and has 294 pages.

- Please make a journal entry upon receiving the book.
- Try to read and send the book on to the next participant within 2 months (or give us an update if you need more time).
- Let us know what your thoughts are in a journal entry and make release notes.
- Enjoy the book :)

8. Sedna5213, France/Germany - Post international
9. Ftarazu, Portugal - EU pref
10. Janeka, Portugal - EU pref
11. TiiMa, Finland - EU pref, int'l okay
12. Abi-Gibby, UK - Post international (skipped)
13. Kingfan30, UK - Post EU
14. Cassandra2020, UK - Post UK/EU
15. Vvampiress4u4, UK - Post UK (skipped)
16. Jonniboi, UK - post UK/EU

17. MKtiny, UK - Post international (<---- book is here)
18. Playtheman, Australia - Post international?
19. Wheepaperclips, US - Post US
20. Basikilos, US - Post US

Journal Entry 14 by wingTsjarawing at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (1/27/2014 UTC) at Assendelft, Noord-Holland Netherlands

Fevvers is now flying to Billbooks in Australia.

Happy reading everyone! :)

Journal Entry 15 by wingBillbookswing at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, February 05, 2014
Safely arrived in today,s mail

Journal Entry 16 by wingBillbookswing at Malvern East, Victoria Australia on Saturday, March 15, 2014
A strange book I'm not sure whether to say I liked it. I really struggled at the beginning got into it after the first 40 pages or so but felt the last part lost me all together. I do apologize for holding on to it for so long - time does fly (pardon the pun) now passing on

Journal Entry 17 by Gealach at Nacka, Södermanland Sweden on Tuesday, March 25, 2014
Arrived today! I have a few pages left in another bookray book, which I will finish first, and then I'll start right away!

( Thank you for the lovely little koala and boomerang, Billbooks! :-D )

Journal Entry 18 by Gealach at Nacka, Södermanland Sweden on Friday, March 28, 2014
I started reading this the day before yesterday, and I had to give up last night. I just couldn't get into it, so I'll pass it on right away. I've asked for the address of the next person on the list.

Journal Entry 19 by wingTuttasbwing at Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Friday, April 04, 2014
The book is now with me.

Journal Entry 20 by wingTuttasbwing at Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag fylke Norway on Friday, April 18, 2014
I struggled through the first 60 pages, couldn't get my head around the story. But then it started to get interesting and I managed to "see" what I was told and it's truly an amazing story. Not yet a favourite but turned out to be a pleasant read. Think maybe this is one of the books I will want to read again someday and then manage to discover new sides to this story.

Journal Entry 21 by wingTuttasbwing at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (4/26/2014 UTC) at by mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On its way to the next reader.

Journal Entry 22 by -Kata- at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Wednesday, April 30, 2014
The book arrived today by mail, thank you Tuttasb! I'll just finish another ring book and then start this one.

Journal Entry 23 by -Kata- at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, June 09, 2014
I just loved this book! It was so beautifully written and the strangeness of the story was wonderful. It was slow to read though and demanded peace and quiet and concentration, which is not a bad thing, I think.

Journal Entry 24 by -Kata- at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland on Monday, June 09, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (6/9/2014 UTC) at Tampere, Pirkanmaa / Birkaland Finland

Off to the next one! Enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 25 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, June 23, 2014
.. and here it is!

thanks - just have to finish one book before but I am already on the last pages..

Journal Entry 26 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Friday, August 22, 2014
Well, I am giving up.. this is DEFINITELY not my cup of tea...
and since there are more books (of course - being on BC :-)) waiting to be read I wrote Dani75 a pm...

Journal Entry 27 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, August 25, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (8/25/2014 UTC) at Gauting, Bayern Germany

on the way to the next reader - wishing you better luck !

Journal Entry 28 by Dani75 at Rudersberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Tuesday, September 02, 2014
The book has safely arrived and now I´m really curious about it after having read all your journal entries so far :)

Journal Entry 29 by Dani75 at Rudersberg, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Sunday, October 19, 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book although I have to admit that it took me a while to get into the story. But after the first struggle I became rather fond of Fevvers and Lizzie, how they became what they are and their "adventures" in Russia. Quite an entertaining read!

On the way to bluezwuzl by mail already :)

Journal Entry 31 by bluezwuzl at Altdorf (Niederbayern), Bayern Germany on Thursday, October 23, 2014
The book arrived safely on monday. Thanks for sending it!
Sorry for keeping the book for so long - I had a terrible cold and just couldn't concentrate an those little letters... Ever since having read an excerpt of the book at College I was curious about the whole story and though as some readers before, I didn't find it an easy read, I'm glad I know it all now...!
It will be ready to travel as soon as I have Sedna5213's address
- oh, and, as the book started to get a bit frail around the edges, I gave it a new coating.
I hope you don't mind!

Journal Entry 32 by wingsedna5213wing at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Tuesday, December 09, 2014
The book arrived safely in Berlin! Please be a little patient with me...too much work at the moment.
Thanks a lot for those fantastic bookmarks, bluezwuzl!

Definitely a very bizarre story. Quite enjoyed reading it.

Journal Entry 33 by wingsedna5213wing at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany on Monday, January 05, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (1/5/2015 UTC) at Charlottenburg, Berlin Germany

The book is on its way to Portugal. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 34 by Ftarazu at Ovar, Aveiro Portugal on Friday, January 23, 2015
Was in my mailbox Monday. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 35 by Ftarazu at Ovar, Aveiro Portugal on Wednesday, March 25, 2015
It is a strange book but I liked better than “The passion of New Eve” by the same author. But it took me a while to get into the book and the story. And I had a bit of a bad time to keep going. I am thus sorry for taking this long to read it. It was sent to Janeka two days ago.
Many thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 36 by Janeka at Vila Real, Vila Real Portugal on Saturday, April 11, 2015
It looks like it took it a while, but the book is now safely with me :)
Thanks for sharing, Tsjara :)

Journal Entry 37 by Janeka at Vila Real, Vila Real Portugal on Thursday, June 04, 2015
Unlike most people, I found the first part (in London), the most interesting part of the story. Their adventures on St. Petersburg and Siberia just did not stick with me.
However, I really enjoyed Carter's writing style, with some dark humour.

This book is now on its way to TiiMa :)

Thank you, Tsjara, for sharing it.

Journal Entry 38 by TiiMa at Järvenpää, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, June 09, 2015
The book has arrived safely in Finland - thanks for sharing and Janeka for sending! I got two ringbooks today, but I will start with this because there's more people waiting for it. I have to finish one book though. I'm looking forward reading this.

Journal Entry 39 by TiiMa at Järvenpää, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, August 04, 2015
What a peculiar read... I don't know what to say more of it. The language was difficult for me at first, but then I got into it, and it was quicker to read. I struggled to find reading time for this, so sometimes I read just a few pages - I wonder how much I missed the meanings. But it was a good read because I managed to finish the book.

Journal Entry 40 by TiiMa at Järvenpää, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (8/11/2015 UTC) at Järvenpää, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

I apologise for exceeding my time a bit. Abi-Gibby asked to be skipped, so the book is now travelling towards kingfan30.

Journal Entry 41 by kingfan30 at -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, August 17, 2015
Book has arrived safe and sound, just need to finish my current read :-)

31 Aug 15 - I'm quite happy to read books that stretch the imagination, however I struggled with this book. I preffered the first part of the book to the second and third. It seemed to jump around a bit so if you lost consentration for a second you wouldn't have a clue what was going on. An interesting concept that just didn't work for me I'm afraid.

Journal Entry 42 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (9/1/2015 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

On its way to the next in line

Journal Entry 43 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 03, 2015
Arrived today! I'm nearing the end of my current book, so it should only be a day or two before I start this one.

Thank you!

Journal Entry 44 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, September 17, 2015
Nights at the Circus by Angela Carter - Very Good, but weird

What a weird, wonderful and fabulously strange book. For that matter, what a weird, wonderful and fabulously strange author Angela Carter is.

Fevvers is an aerialiste... a trapeze artist to you and me, but no ordinary aerialiste, she has wings. Left as a foundling (hatchling?) on a Brothel's doorstep, she is raised by the 'household' having various narrow escapes until she finally finds her place in the world.... at the circus.

In the first section of the book, she is telling this tale to an American journalist, who is secretly trying to debunk the half woman/half bird thing. He is so entranced by the whole package that when she goes on tour with the circus across Russia, he signs on as a clown to follow her incognito.

The next sections of the book deal with the various stopovers and the increasingly bizarre adventures that the cast of characters live through. Culminating in the most far fetched ending.... and yet, the spell the author weaves as you read means that you quite happily follow these adventures without any doubts.... only looking back does it all seem a bit too weird.

Starting to love the way Angela Carter casts her spells and weaves her magic. A fine example of Magical Realism.

Listed in the 1001 books you must read before you die

Listed in The Guardian's 1000 best novels

Listed in the 102 Greatest Books by Women:

PM'd the next on the list a few days ago now - no response as yet. Will give it another week before thinking about the next move etc.

Journal Entry 45 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, October 05, 2015

Released 3 yrs ago (10/5/2015 UTC) at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom

Apologies for the delay. PM'd the next in the list a couple of times and left it two weeks before moving on.

Posted out to Jonniboi today.

Journal Entry 46 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, October 08, 2015
Just received this today... Got 2 books in front of this one, but will do my best to get around to reading this ASAP!

Journal Entry 47 by Jonniboi at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, January 21, 2016
My first Angela Carter novel I have read. The queen of description, Angela Carter is an author most authors, lecturers and teachers rave about. She can literally describe one miniature thing in a whole page if it's needed. Sometimes this really worked and transported me right into the scene that the story is taking place right at that moment.

I am actually glad that this is the first Angela Carter novel I have read. A circus is always my favourite setting in any book. I don't really know why, but I've always enjoyed stories about the circus. I think it is to do with it being mysterious, different and I never went to see a circus as a child. It's something that has been going on for years and years, and there are so many circus stories out there that are both fictional and real, that it's a mystery to me personally because they can be fascinating at times.

It is gripping to start off with, but it fails to keep me entertained. I am not aware of who Fevvers is at this point, if she was some well known celebrity, then I'd be interested slightly in her biography, but I've only just been introduced to her, and I totally lost interest towards the end of the first part of this novel.

Then the story progresses and I'm captured suddenly. I am fully interested in what will happen, I love the descriptions of the animals, and I literally feel like I'm at the circus, hiding behind one of the tents and watching the behind-the-scenes scenarios happen.

However Angela Carter fails to impress me at times. Some perfect amazing descriptions fully develop me into a certain scene, to which she totally destroys it by not describing an important feature. Sometime she is so focused on the items in the room, that characters are moved from one scene to the next without a coherent explanation. I totally have no clue how Fevvers ended up in the train off to Siberia. It totally confused me. This was my biggest annoyance, and it continued on from there.

Siberia was my least favourite part of the entire novel. It missed some things out, I really didn't like the direction the story was going and the entire circus just disappeared. Everything we started with crumbled, the characters as we knew them had totally changed, and although we read the change and understood how this change happened, it didn't involve me, I wasn't changed with the characters and so I wanted the characters to continue on with the circus, and not settle in Siberia. These aren't the same characters we knew from the start and have been with all the way through. That is what annoyed me the most.

Overall, a great middle, that I totally felt involved with, as well as an all right beginning, if only a little on the too long side, and an ending that disappointed me and felt too chaotic for my liking.

I will be sending this off on Friday, I already have the next person's address :)

Journal Entry 48 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, February 05, 2016
This landed on my mat over a week ago. Sorry I forgot to journal it until now. Looking forward to reading it soon.