THE WHALE RIDER

by witi ihimaera | Other |
ISBN: 0152050167 Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingiiwiwing of Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on 3/25/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingiiwiwing from Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, March 25, 2010
"Whale Rider" is best known as the hit indie movie, winner of the Audience Award in the 2003 Sundance Film Festival. But the basis for that film was Witi Ihimaera's magical, novel "Whale Rider," a bittersweet story about a Maori girl and her mysterious destiny.
The first great-grandchild of the Maori chief Koro Apirana is born... but a girl called Kahu, not the hoped-for boy, and soon her mother dies. Koro is upset, since only a male can carry on the line. He hopes for a destined chosen one to restore the Maori people, but his hopes are growing more and more futile. He starts teaching young boys about the old traditions, looking for the one who can "pull the sword from the stone."
Meanwhile, Kahu grows up into an inquisitive and sweet-natured eight-year-old. She loves her grandfather, but his bitterness over her not having been a boy has never really worn off. But one day, whales are found beaching themselves near the town where Kahu lives, and she hears their song.

A nice easy read. Eerste pagina zegt alles boek.

Journal Entry 2 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, March 27, 2010
Arrived safely today. I think I'm going to love this, and will want to see the film afterwards. I've always been fascinated by New Zealand, since I had a kiwi penfriend as a teenager who used to send me beautiful calendars with photos of Rotorua. I really want to go there one day and tour around. Thank you, iiwi, for sending this beautiful little book.

Journal Entry 3 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, July 14, 2011
Sometimes I had a little difficulty reading this because of remembering the unfamiliar names, but I enjoyed reading something of life in a Maori community. Sometimes the explanation of a word was given too late, but the glossary at the back was a big help. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, but don't seem to have made many notes about it. I'm hoping to pass it on to somebody else who will appreciate it.

Dit boek is losgelaten voor de volgende BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - boeken lezen en loslaten, met bonuspunten voor een maandelijkse thema.
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - lezen en loslaten van TBR boeken die al voor juni 2010 op de plank stonden. Mijn leesdoel is 75 boeken.
- Pages Read Challenge - een zelfgekozen aantal bladzijden lezen in 2011. Mijn doel is 25.000 blz.
- 2011 Movie Books Challenge - boeken die ook verfilmd zijn, of het boek van de film.
- Set It Yourself Challenge
- 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge

**********************************************************************

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before June 2010. My reading goal is 75 books.
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 2011. My goal is 25,000.
- 2011 Movie Books Challenge
- Set It Yourself Challenge
- 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge

Journal Entry 5 by Xana at Brugge, West-Vlaanderen / Flandre Occidentale Belgium on Tuesday, July 19, 2011
One of the book I brought home with me after the Bookcrossing meeting in Brugge. Thanks bookguide!