The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

by John Boyne | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by kingfan30 of -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on 3/22/2010
Journal Entry 1 by kingfan30 from -- Somewhere in Lincs, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 22, 2010
I read this a little while ago and although I enjoyed it and I was also a bit disappointed, I think because I had heard so much about it I was expecting more from it. I found it took a long time for Bruno and Shmuel to become friends (over half way through) and I did guess how the book would end. Bruno did seem a bit too innocent of what was going on around him. I have recently read The Silver Sword which is based in the same era and was a much better book in my opinion.

Journal Entry 2 by kingfan30 at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (3/23/2010 UTC) at Bourne, Lincolnshire United Kingdom

Passed to SarahMachin84

Journal Entry 3 by SarahMachin84 from Market Deeping, Lincolnshire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 11, 2010
Received from a friend. To be read in due course...

17.11.10 enjoyed this book a lot and looking forward seeing the film. Quick easy read. Didn't expect the ending at all : (

Journal Entry 4 by SarahMachin84 at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, November 27, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/29/2010 UTC) at Southwark, Greater London United Kingdom

Sending out to Shahrun as a kind gesture. I hope you enjoy the book as much as i did. Lookng forward to seeing the film now x

Journal Entry 5 by Shahrun at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 01, 2010
Got this in the post yesterday. It is a RABCK to grant a wish on my list from the very generous SarahMachin84. Thank you very much, really look forward to reading this!

Journal Entry 6 by Shahrun at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, January 10, 2011
I didn't really know what to expect from this book. The telling of a story I am already familiar with, through the innocent eyes of a child made it all the more horrifying for me. I did predict the ending, as it seamed inevitable, with the way the story was going. Still upset me to read it though. This is a book aimed at childern? I'm not sure if a child who knows nothing or very little about this totally shocking period of time will fully understand or experience the full horror of what they are reading. I would like to see the film now.

Journal Entry 7 by Shahrun at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, January 13, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/14/2011 UTC) at London, Greater London United Kingdom

Posting this to Motherof11 in The Netherlands as a swap for the RABCK she is sending me. Hope you enjoy this. Safe travels Little Book!

Journal Entry 8 by wingmotherof11wing at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Tuesday, February 01, 2011
The book arrived safely today. Thank you very much, Shahrun!!! I'm really looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 9 by wingmotherof11wing at Dalfsen, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, February 13, 2011
What a beautiful and terrible story! And what an awful ending (although I saw it coming)!
Thank you so much for sharing this with me, Shahrun!

Journal Entry 10 by wingmotherof11wing at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (5/11/2011 UTC) at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom

This wishlist book goes to disneyfreaksam.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 11 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Monday, May 16, 2011
Thank you so so much. I will really enjoy this one. You are very kind.

Journal Entry 12 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 23, 2012
I enjoyed this book but did think that Bruno was too naive. Is it possible to have all that going on on your doorstep and to not know anything about it?

The ending seemed a bit too neat for me. I thought that the way it was all tied up was too much.

Journal Entry 13 by disneyfreaksam at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Released 6 yrs ago (10/10/2012 UTC) at Warminster, Wiltshire United Kingdom

Enjoy

Journal Entry 14 by footymadgill at Croydon, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, October 15, 2012
Received today....a wishlist book...great! Thank you for sharing disneyfreaksam.

Journal Entry 15 by footymadgill at Croydon, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 18, 2012
I loved this book. It is simply written and memorable.

It is just a shame that these things still go on around the world "in this day and age"!

Journal Entry 16 by footymadgill at Croydon, Surrey United Kingdom on Monday, January 07, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (1/7/2013 UTC) at Croydon, Surrey United Kingdom

Given to a work colleague

Journal Entry 17 by footymadgill at Croydon, Surrey United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 08, 2013
Have been given this back having been read and enjoyed by my colleague

Released 5 yrs ago (1/21/2014 UTC) at By Post RABCK in RABCK, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

Sending on to another bookcrosser...I hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 19 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Thursday, January 30, 2014
The book arrived today, safe and sound. Thank you for sending it my way footymadgill! I will journal it again after reading.

Journal Entry 20 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Sunday, February 09, 2014
As a teenager, me and my class visited the former Auschwitz (Out-With) concentration camp (now a museum) in Oświęcim, Poland. One glance at the Arbeit macht frei sign over the entrance was enough to leave a bunch of jolly teenagers speechless. There are no words that can describe what we have learnt there but that, for sure, was a memorable history lesson - the wired fence, the striped pyjamas, the gas chambers...
Now some twenty years later, the book reminded me of that visit. I keep thinking that we cannot change the past but one should do everything not to let this happen ever again!

Challenging and thought provoking book. Deeply moving too.

Journal Entry 21 by NowINkA at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland on Monday, February 10, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (2/12/2014 UTC) at Płock, Mazowieckie Poland

On its way to... France.

Journal Entry 22 by wingMariesgwing at Vitry-sur-Seine, Ile-de-France France on Wednesday, February 19, 2014
The book is now in France.
It was on my wishlist. I'm impatient to read it.
Thank you very very very much to have sent it to me. That's really nice from you ! :o)

Journal Entry 23 by wingMariesgwing at Vitry-sur-Seine, Ile-de-France France on Saturday, March 08, 2014
I read the book in less than 24 hours.
I don't really know what I think of it.
On the one hand, I found the book very moving. The story of this forbidden friendship between the two boys is touching. We want it to work, whatever happens in the country during this dreadful war.
On the other hand, the way the story is told annoyed me a bit. The events are seen by the eyes of a nine-years-old child who doesn't understand at all what happens. It's the choice of the writer and I can understand it. I understand as well that it means we don't have the good words (Out-With, The Fury...) and the good explanations.
But it goes a bit too far. Even for children, some things are obvious and Bruno should have understood the Jews were prisoners (in fact, someone speaks about the prisoners once, and he seems not to hear it). I don't like that. And I don't like the "lies" of the book. Everyone knows there weren't any children in that sort of camps. And people weren't just sitting without doing anything in the camps. And people did know what it meant when someone disappeared in the camp. And so on.
I know it's just a story - perhaps for young teenagers - but it made me feel uncomfortable.
So, I'm a bit disappointed. I have just liked the book, not loved it. But I can live with that...
And I won't say anything about the end... But if you have already read the book, you know what I mean.

Terrible days have come to an end. I hope it's finished forever (I sometimes doubt...).

The book will soon travel again to another country.

Journal Entry 24 by wingMariesgwing at Vitry-sur-Seine, Ile-de-France France on Sunday, March 09, 2014

Released 4 yrs ago (3/10/2014 UTC) at Vitry-sur-Seine, Ile-de-France France

The book is going to leave France tomorrow morning, to go to Switzerland and discover this new country.
I give it to a friend who hasn't it in her wishlist. But I hope she will like the book and help it to continue its travel around the Bookcrossing world. It wants to stay in our community for a while.

Enjoy your reading, friend :o)
You deserve a second book for your victory at the march lottery.

Journal Entry 25 by storm0103 at Aeugst am Albis, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, March 14, 2014
Ohhhhh! "The boy in the striped pyjamas" was waiting for me in my mailbox. What a surprise ! When I saw this book on the international forum a few months ago, I felt like reading it but decided otherwise because I have so many books already waiting for me. This book is in my hands now. I guess I meant to read it and I can't wait to start.
Such a well travelled book: UK, The Netherlands, Poland, France and now Switzerland. It's like having a treasure in my hands. I'll make sure that this book stay in the Bookcrossing community. Many thanks Mariesg for this kind gesture.

Je ne pense être l'alibi de cette tombola de mars 2014. Et c'est génial car voilà le 3ème paquet dans ma boîte aux lettres depuis le début du mois. Tu m'as particulièrement gâtée Mariesg et je suis très touchée par tes attentions.
J'adore les timbres. Je ne savais pas qu'il existait des timbres "course à pieds". Je vais les garder précieusement. Merci Mariesg !

Journal Entry 26 by storm0103 at Aeugst am Albis, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, March 14, 2014
You all have to look at the stamps which were on my parcel. Running, running, that's my other hobby next to reading and Mariesg found two fantastic stamps. I thought I would share that pleasure with you. It makes my day !

Journal Entry 27 by storm0103 at Aeugst am Albis, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, March 28, 2014
World War II, so many true stories have been told about this terrible war and about the horrors that happened before, during and after that time. I have read lots of them, however, I have never seen a story through the eyes of a German 9 years old boy, whose Father is a "commandant wearing an impressive uniform". I don't think Bruno is that innoncent. Deep down, Bruno understands a lots more than he wants to admit. He knows that the people in the striped pyjamas are prisoners, that they are starved to death, sick and killed by the soldiers of his father. But how can this 9 years old boy accepts that the father he loves is responsible of such cruelty ? He can't, it's too much to take in, he wants to stay in his children world, he is making up his own stories.
That's why I liked this book, even though we realise the horror of the war, it gives us the opportunity to stay in a children world, with children words and a little bit of innoncence.
A war one should remember in order to never ever repeat what had happened.

Many thanks to you all for sharing this story.
This book will continue his journey sometimes, somehow.

Released 4 yrs ago (5/5/2014 UTC) at ~ A raffle winner!, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Winner or alibi ? This book is for you and I hope you'll enjoy it !

* * * Tombola de mai 2014 * * *

Journal Entry 29 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Wednesday, May 07, 2014
J'ai bien reçu The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, merci, Storm0103 !
Eh bien, suis-je... l'alibi ? le vainqueur de la tombola de mai 2014 ?
Après Balthus, voilà un autre livre qui me parvient en lien avec cette tombola.