The Night of Wishes

by Michael Ende | Children's Books | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingjudygreeneyeswing of San Diego, California USA on 3/21/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingjudygreeneyeswing from San Diego, California USA on Sunday, March 21, 2010
"Nothing links person to person like the frequent passage from hand to hand of a good book."

This is a lovely story for the middle-school age. Beelzebub Preposteror and Tyrannia Vampirella must complete their annual quota of evil deeds by midnight. "Good confronts evil in a comic adventure".

Journal Entry 2 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Sunday, March 21, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (3/21/2010 UTC) at San Diego, California USA

This book is off by mail to Florida for slb453, one of the winners of "My Birthday" RABCK. Thanks for playing. Enjoy!

If you aren't familiar with Bookcrossing, take a few minutes to check out this very cool site. Bookcrossers LOVE books, and more than anything, they love to read books and then set them free for other people to find and enjoy. I would love it if you would leave a journal entry -- you can say where you found the book or how you liked it when you read it. Then, when you are ready, pass it along for someone else to enjoy! Thanks and happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by slb453 from Altamonte Springs, Florida USA on Friday, April 02, 2010
Received this today! Thanks so much, Judy! I left a post for you in your Birthday RABCK thread on the forum. I'm very excited that this is the book you chose for me, and I truly appreciate your kindness and generosity! Thanks so much! I am looking forward to reading this book, and I will journal it again when I finish reading! Thanks! :)

Journal Entry 4 by slb453 at Altamonte Springs, Florida USA on Sunday, April 24, 2011
And so I finally read the first RABCK I ever received on BookCrossing! I finished this tonight. The reason why it was on my wishlist is because the author, Michael Ende, wrote The Neverending Story, one of my favorites, so I wanted to sample his other works.

This is a very different tale, and much is to be admired. I love it when books are written speaking directly to the reader, acknowledging that the stories within are being read. Ende's wordplay and rhymes are fantastic. I particularly liked the 2-page explantion of the telescope word SATANARCHAEOLIDEALCOHELLISH.

Like The Neverending Story, there was a nod to The Lord of the Rings that I enjoyed. The protagonists Mauricio and Jacob must throw an ice cube into a potion, not unlike throwing the One Ring into Mount Doom. Similarly, in The Neverending Story, Bastian wears AURYN around his neck, and the characters of Atreyu and Falkor are not unlike Frodo and Sam. So I enjoyed seeing Ende make another homage to LOTR.

I also would not be surprised if J.K. Rowling had read this book and been inspired by certain of its elements for Harry Potter. If she didn't, then that is one hell of a coincidence. The villain of the story is kind of an evil version of Harry Potter, a sorcerer whose parents died when he was a kid and was raised by his aunt and sent to various magical schools, including the Magic Institute of Technology in Hexachusetts. He "got good grades in Advanced Diabolics" and was "accepted into the Academy of Black Arts" and ended up becoming a Shadow Sorcery Minister (whatever that is). There is an element of bureaucracy about the magical world in this book, and the names of characters are not unlike those that populate Hogwarts. Names like Maledictus Maggot and Beezlebub Preposteror. Of course this could all be a huge coincidence, and would make a great example of people having similar ideas around the same time. This book was published in German in 1989 and in English in 1992.

Ende's commentary on the nature of books and readers shows up in The Night of Wishes as well. One of my favorite parts was his description of a magical creature, "a particularly hideous little monster, a so-called book grump, also known in common parlance as a smartass or nitpicker. These little spirits normally spend their lives grumping about books. Research has not yet determined with any certainty why such creatures exist at all...." It makes you wonder if Ende had had it with book critics, but I certainly got a chuckle out of it.

It was also amusing when all the sorcerer's books come to life near the end and the various genres start fighting each other. "Now, it is a well-known fact that books often hate each other's guts. Even with normal books, no one with any sensitivity would put Justine, of all books next to Heidi, or Revenue Law next to The Neverending Story, although normal books cannot defend themselves, of course." I enjoyed this reference to his previous work, and it is an interesting commentary on the nature of genre and taste itself. It reminded me of Bastian's dismissal of "realistic" books in The Neverending Story.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the "ticking clock" device that Ende used! It was very clever, as in a movie plot you are supposed to raise the stakes by having a "ticking clock" of sorts, to quote from screenwriting.info, "A dramatic device in which some event looming in the near future requires that the conflict reach a speedy resolution". Ende takes this concept it and puts it onto the page--literally! Since the sorcerer's potion must be completed at midnight--and the fate of the world will be determined by its success or failure--Ende has put illustrations of a clock face throughout the book, starting at 5:00 and ending at midnight. I enjoyed seeing this cute and creative device throughout the story.

Thanks, Judygreeneyes, for sending this book to me! I apologize for taking so long to read it. I bought some BookCrossing stickers this week and have affixed them to the cover and spine, and will be releasing this book into the wild soon. May it find a receptive reader! :)

Released 10 yrs ago (4/30/2011 UTC) at Lynx Bus Stop (Route 41) at Special Tee Golf in Altamonte Springs, Florida USA

I left this on a bench at the bus stop on SR 436 in front of the Special Tee Golf and Casual Men XL stores.

Released for the 2011 Set Them Free Challenge, the 2011 Movie Books Release Challenge, and the 2011 Keep Them Moving Challenge!

TO THE FINDER:

Welcome to BookCrossing! Thank you for helping me track this book's journey! I have been a member of BookCrossing since 2009, and my books released into the wild have traveled across the country, and even to Canada and Uruguay! It's a fun and rewarding hobby! :)

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

1) Register as a member to receive future journal entries on this book and track its journey around the world! It's free and spam-free. Or you may remain anonymous and go to Step 3.

2) Please put me, slb453, as your referring member when you edit your profile. Thanks!

3) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

4) If you choose to read the book, please make another journal entry when you finish it to let us know what you thought!

5) Ready to pass the book on? Click on "make release notes" to let us know where it's going! Leave the book in a public place or give it to a friend!

Enjoy, and thank you for making a journal entry! :)