The Shiralee (Penguin Modern Classics)

by D'Arcy Niland | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by ukcanaus of Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on 3/12/2010
Journal Entry 1 by ukcanaus from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Friday, March 12, 2010
"Everyone has their cross to bear - their swag, their shiralee - and for Macauley, walking across New South Wales in search of work, it is his young daughter who has to suffer his resentment at having her in tow. But then, as the real reasons for Macauley's journey becomes clear, he discovers that the ties that bind can be as much a comfort as a burden, and what he thought of as his Shiralee could be the one things that will save him from himself.

Told with a gruff humour and a gentle pathos, D'Arcy Niland's classic Australian novel perfectly captures the spirit of the bush and the tough, resilient people of the outback."

To be sent as a RABCK very soon...

Journal Entry 2 by ukcanaus at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, March 14, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (3/12/2010 UTC) at A fellow BookCrosser, A RABCK -- Controlled Releases

Sent as a birthday RABCK (March 13).

Journal Entry 3 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Thank you!
Yet another aussie author that I have not heard about, I look forward to this one.

Journal Entry 4 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, February 14, 2011
What a brilliant read!
Definately one of the best books I've read in a while.

The budding realtionship between Macauley and his daugther Buster is told in a very moving manner. The language is nearly poetic at times. I can see father and daughter in my inner eye; the hard,tough man - used to only think about himself & the equally tough 4-year old who comes into his life with a bang!

I'd like to quote Desmond (p145) when he tries to answer Buster on her question: Will I die?
"Yes. Even you. Even you with all your beauty and cuteness and charm; all your spirit and loyalty. The stars die and the greatest of the trees; the fruit that comes in the gush of summer, and all the living things, great and small. The hills break down and rivers change their courses. The beautiful women, the good men, the sweet childre, the best pony you ever had, the prettiest houses, the dog on the tucker-box - they all die."
It has to be said that the answer came after Buster had fallen to sleep!

In my opinion Desmond was a wise man, and on page 152 he is talking about the very essence of living:
"Hear that river? There's water coming from somewhere , and going somewhere and so on. It flows on a set course for thousands of miles. It's not only getting away from something, it's getting to something. It's getting away from the mountains and it's getting away to the ocean.... That's the way a man's life ought to be and so on."
"Why?" Macauley asked.
"Well, otherwise there's no purpose. A man is right to get away from evil, from trouble, and the things that are bad for him. But he can spend the rest of his life running away from them. He should stop and think and so on. Then he should pick something that will better him, that is good for him, and try to achieve it. Then he's running towards something."

In my opinion it were these very words that made Macauley realise that Buster was not a shiralee after all. She was his blessing, his something to run towards.

Bookring:
Deepswamp - Sweden
Ekomuppen - Sweden
gunvor - Denmark

back home to me!

Journal Entry 5 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Wednesday, March 2, 2011
Härligt! Spännande!

Journal Entry 6 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Thursday, March 10, 2011
Still tears in my eyes! Buster and her father will stay with me!
A fantastic read! Thanks!
Travel to Ekomuppen now!

Journal Entry 7 by wingNordpiratwing at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Thursday, March 17, 2011
The book has arrived.

Journal Entry 8 by wingNordpiratwing at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Sunday, May 1, 2011
I can only agree with the rest of you.
This book really made an impression with me.

It actually took a bit of an effort to get in to it, but when I eventually did I almost couldn't put it down. I got such a clear inner picture of the travelling couple, following them like a shadow across the country.

Released 10 yrs ago (5/3/2011 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray, Stockholm Sweden

Sending it on

Journal Entry 10 by gunvor at Søborg, København Amt Denmark on Friday, May 6, 2011
The book arrived today from Ekomuppen, thanks. From the reviews I really look forward to this read.

Journal Entry 11 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, April 22, 2013
The book is back home.

I just have to say a little something to ukcanaus as well, because four of the readers of this book have spent this weekend at the annual BC convention in Gothenburg - and next year the convention will be in Melbourne! Unfortunally I will not be able to make it (to far & to expensive) but at least you have something fun to look forward to.

Journal Entry 12 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Monday, March 2, 2015
This book will start on yet another journey. One of the previous readers wants to reread this gem, thus I'm sending the book out again.

Bookring:
Nordpirat - Sweden
BAMP - Sweden
CathrineB - Norway
Babelfisk- Sweden
sharlan - Sweden
ruzena - Finland

Back home to me

Journal Entry 13 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Friday, May 1, 2015
Finally getting round to sending this book out again.

Journal Entry 14 by wingNordpiratwing at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Tuesday, May 12, 2015
The book has arrived!
This will be the first time I re-read a bookcrossing-book.
It's hard to explain the impression this book made with me. Ever since I read it four years ago it has turned up in my memory, time and time again. It just wont leave me.
In my head I've written new reviews several times trying to make both the book and my feelings justice.
I've said about many books that "this book will stay with me for a long time", and sure; many of them do - but no book has done so in the way this one has.

Journal Entry 15 by wingNordpiratwing at Bromma, Stockholm Sweden on Wednesday, June 3, 2015
All the reviews I wrote in my head those years in between the first and the second read; they seemed brilliant at the time, but now I don't remember any of them.
If I come to think of something in the future I might check in and edit my post.

The story is a journey. Not only a journey across the country, but also within a persons thoughts, memories and feelings. The landscape is beautifully described and I really get not only a vivid image of Australia, but also a feeling of it.
As for Macauleys inner journey I noticed something I don't remember paying attention to last time. Sometimes a chain of events is described - "from x he went to y, worked for two weeks at a building site, then continued to..." and so forth. And his thoughts and feelings during these events are described. As a reader I'm aware that Buster is with him all the time; but the text says "he", not "they". That makes the description of Macauleys inner journey very intimate. I feel really close to him.
I think this book is a really powerful story of how a meeting and an interaction can change a person.

Released 6 yrs ago (6/3/2015 UTC) at -- By post or by hand/ in person, RABCK , bookring/ray, Stockholm Sweden

Moving on...

Journal Entry 17 by BAMP at Linköping, Östergötland Sweden on Thursday, June 4, 2015
Oh, oh, oh ...... the book is already by me....

Journal Entry 18 by BAMP at Linköping, Östergötland Sweden on Sunday, June 14, 2015
A story that stays, brilliant!

One among so many other quotes that could be chosen, this is from page 177-178: "to live is not easy and often by the time a man has learnt how to live his life is over"

Thanks for letting me read it!

Journal Entry 19 by BAMP at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 15, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (6/15/2015 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent to the next reader!

Journal Entry 20 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Friday, June 19, 2015
This book has arrived! I look forward to read it. :)

Journal Entry 21 by CathrineB at Hønefoss, Buskerud fylke Norway on Thursday, August 6, 2015
An interesting book in a way, but it wasn't really a page-turner for me. Probably a book I had stopped reading halfway through, if I hadn't decided to finish it because of a reading challenge.

Journal Entry 22 by CathrineB at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 10, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (8/10/2015 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to the next reader; babelfisk.

Journal Entry 23 by babelfisk at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Thursday, August 13, 2015
The book has arrived. Looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 24 by babelfisk at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Wednesday, August 26, 2015
A lovely storythat will stay with me. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 25 by babelfisk at Jönköping, Småland Sweden on Friday, August 28, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (8/28/2015 UTC) at Jönköping, Småland Sweden

On its way to sharlan.

Journal Entry 26 by sharlan at Djura, Dalarna Sweden on Wednesday, September 2, 2015
The book arrived today. Thank you Haugtussa and babelfisk!

Journal Entry 27 by sharlan at Djura, Dalarna Sweden on Thursday, October 29, 2015
Well worth reading, even though I wasn't quite as touched by it as some of the previous readers. But it's a memorable experience, tagging along with Macauley and Buster on their journey.

Journal Entry 28 by sharlan at Djura, Dalarna Sweden on Sunday, November 1, 2015

Released 6 yrs ago (11/1/2015 UTC) at Djura, Dalarna Sweden

Macauley and Buster heading for Finland!

Journal Entry 29 by ruzena at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, November 4, 2015
Arrived today with a cute stowaway. Thank you sharlan!

Journal Entry 30 by ruzena at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 14, 2016
A wonderful book, both the story and the style - even if I freely acknowledge that many words were strange to me in their exact meaning. I was taken and shaken by the story, both the real and the metaphoric in it. One more gem found while bookcrossing! Thank a lot, folks, for recycling, and sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 31 by ruzena at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 14, 2016

Released 5 yrs ago (2/12/2016 UTC) at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Homeward bound.

Journal Entry 32 by wingHaugtussawing at Stavanger, Rogaland fylke Norway on Sunday, February 21, 2016
The book is back where it belongs.
It will stay here, untill I make another ring. But right now I need to keep Buster and her father with me.