The Heretic's Daughter

by Kathleen Kent | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by MKtiny of Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on 3/11/2010
Journal Entry 1 by MKtiny from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, March 11, 2010
Sarah Carrier has always been at odds with her mother, Martha, who is as tough as Sarah is wilful. A gifted herbalist, Martha spends her days plucking grasses and plants in the fields, ready to cure whatever ills come her way. The fearful villagers of Andover, near Salem, have already been infected with smallpox and now another, equally devastating plague is ready to strike: that of malicious gossip and tongue-wagging, as poisonous as any disease.

As tales of magic are spun by a group of hysterical young girls, Martha soon finds herself accused of witchcraft. Neither Sarah, nor her brothers, are prepared to see their mother die and are cast into prison themselves. And it is there that Sarah commits a fateful heresy of her own.

The story of the Salem witch trials from the viewpoint of the daughter of one of those condemmed to die.

Journal Entry 2 by MKtiny from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 19, 2010
Will be starting out on a bookray shortly. Please submit a journal entry on receipt and then again when it's sent on. I suggest it's kept for six weeks maximum, but if you've got a backlog or life gets in the way just make a journal entry and/or PM the next in line to let them know. Enjoy!

Final running order:

angelface46 (US/US)
heartthumper (US/US)
Firegirl (US/Int'l-------Book here:)
silvia-pco (Portugal/Intl)

If you would like to join this ring, please PM me and I will add you to the list.

Journal Entry 3 by MKtiny from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, March 26, 2010
Sending off to fairy-whispers in Oz. Bon voyage and happy reading:)

Journal Entry 4 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, April 04, 2010
Balloon Mouse Thank You So Much

G'day,

Just checking in to let you know I am safe and sound. I am having a nice visit with fairy-whispers before continuing on my travels. I hope you’re having as much fun as I am!

With Great Affection,

Your Book :-)

Journal Entry 5 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, May 22, 2010
Most of us know about the 'Burning Times', the witchcraft trials that swept the world in the seventeenth century. We also know that the horror, the terror and the injustice that made up these trials was worst in the area of Salem, Massachusetts. However, as we look back on these acts from the safety of several generations removal, we cannot quite grasp the fear, the uncertainty and the general state of mistrust that must have pervaded peoples minds at this time.

Despite it's sometimes dry and impersonal language, this book brings the era to life. We feel with and for the characters and we are transformed by their experiences. I was especially chilled by the formal, emotionless language of the court transcripts, recording the sham trials of the accused. This book is definitely not to be missed.

Journal Entry 6 by seldombites at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Thursday, September 09, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/10/2010 UTC) at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia

Butterflies Are Free Hugs

I’m missing you but I’m still having fun, so I’m off to visit Dancesports. See you soon!

Journal Entry 7 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Monday, September 20, 2010
I have arrived in Tassie and have started my visit with Dancesports. I'm making friends with three other books that are in front of me in the TBR queue.

Journal Entry 8 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, January 12, 2011
I finished this one before Christmas and enjoyed it thoroughly, sorry to hold it up but it will be on it's way again this week.

Journal Entry 9 by Dancesports at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Monday, February 07, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (2/7/2011 UTC) at By mail, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

On the way to Canada via seamail.

Journal Entry 10 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Friday, April 22, 2011
Arrived after a leisurely journey from Down Under today. I am reading another book at the moment, but this will be next. Thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by winglauraloo29wing at Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Monday, May 09, 2011
It took me 100 pages to get into this book, but then I had a hard time putting it down after that. The prison part was quite heartbreaking. A terrifying time.

I have the next address and will be mailing on this week. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 12 by Brookler at Powell River, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, May 17, 2011
This arrived in the mail, thanks.

Journal Entry 13 by Brookler at Powell River, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, May 31, 2011
An amazing book made even more powerful by being based on a true story written by a direct descendant. Very vivid and well-written. A story I won't forget.

Journal Entry 14 by Brookler at Powell River, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, June 02, 2011
Mailed today to Scarlett07. The woman at the post office assured me it should be out of the country before the postal strike, which is scheduled for midnight June 2nd. Here's hoping!

Journal Entry 15 by Scarlett07 at Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Monday, June 06, 2011
I received this in the mail today, good job missing the strike Bookler! I'm looking forward to reading it but have a couple in front of it. I'll get to it as soon as I can and get it on it's way.

Journal Entry 16 by Scarlett07 at Colorado Springs, Colorado USA on Friday, July 08, 2011
I very much enjoyed reading this book. I haven't read much on the Salem Witch Trials before and found this to be such a tragic and horrible story of what fear and hatred can do.

Thanks so much for sharing MKtiny. I will pass it on as soon as I hear from the next person.

Journal Entry 17 by TemekuGirl at Temecula, California USA on Tuesday, July 12, 2011
Received today! I will start reading it soon. :)

Journal Entry 18 by Tinina67 at Seissan, Midi-Pyrénées France on Monday, November 21, 2011
This arrived safe and sound. On top of my TBR stack.
And thanks for including me!

Journal Entry 19 by Tinina67 at Seissan, Midi-Pyrénées France on Friday, December 09, 2011
This was rather hard to get into, a bit too drawn out at the beginning for my taste. But the second part was much better.
Thanks for including me.

It is on its way!

Journal Entry 20 by Heaven-Ali at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Arrived today - with a lovely Christmas card - thank you : )

I have 3 or 4 books lined up to read over Christmas (I read on average more than 2 a week) so I should get to this early in the New Year.

Merry Christmas fellow book ringers : )

Journal Entry 21 by Heaven-Ali at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, January 02, 2012

The author of this novel is a direct descendant of Martha Carrier and her novel is based on true family history.
I found "The Heretic's daughter" an enjoyable and highly readable novel, about a distressing yet fascinating period in American history. The key part of the story - that of the arrest and imprisonment of members of Carrier family comes a long way into the novel and I see why some readers have thought it slow to get going. Although this first part of the book goes a long way to establish fully the relationships between various members of the extended family. It is in the sense of suspicion and terror at this time, reproduced so faithfully that the reader can feel the tension for themselves. The poignant severing of families, the impotence of a strong husband and father who can do nothing but watch his wife and children suffer the most appalling prison conditons, often falling sick, his wife finally being hanged for a witch.

Journal Entry 22 by Heaven-Ali at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Saturday, January 07, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/7/2012 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

If you have found this book, thank you for taking the time to look it up on the internet. Now please tell us what you thought of the book and what your plans for it are.

Journal Entry 23 by Originalmulli at Llandyfriog, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 11, 2012
Received this yesterday and should get started on it tomorrow!

Journal Entry 24 by Originalmulli at Newcastle Emlyn, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 24, 2012
I finally finished this today...the later part is so horrifying that I have rushed to get it over with! I think the earlier parts that some found slow are actually very worthwhile - those descriptions of everyday life and relationships demonstrate how out-of-the-blue and nonsensical the witch trials are. In such a secular time where we give almost no credence to anything spiritual or internal, it's almost impossible to imagine how such hysteria over unprovable things could have come about.

I'm not sure it quite lives up to its billing of "one woman...would stand against religious tyranny..." Martha Carrier doesn't stand out to me as having spoken or acted differently than many others who refused to be frightened or tortured into false confessions. But it's a brilliant and troubling account which I fear will haunt me for a long time.

Journal Entry 25 by QueenSissi at Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Arrived today and plan to start it during the weekend! Thanks!

Journal Entry 26 by QueenSissi at Gouveia, Guarda Portugal on Saturday, February 25, 2012
It was an interesting read that has made me want to learn more about this american witch hunt. I have learnt about the Spanish inquisition and it didn't seem to be much different, just less organised.

Already sent it to angel46. Thanks!

Journal Entry 27 by angelface46 at Montrose, Colorado USA on Saturday, April 14, 2012
just arrived today - thank you

Journal Entry 28 by angelface46 at Montrose, Colorado USA on Friday, April 27, 2012
Interesting book. Thanks for sharing it.

Journal Entry 29 by wingheartthumperwing at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Monday, May 07, 2012
The book arrived today. I'm between books, so I'll get it started right away. Thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 30 by wingheartthumperwing at Hutchinson, Kansas USA on Wednesday, May 09, 2012
Awesome book. The author brings everything to life. Her descriptions of prison were haunting, so much detail. Loved the book.

Journal Entry 31 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Tuesday, May 15, 2012
Arrived safely today. Such a well-travelled book! Looking forward to this one. And thanks for the postcard, Heartthumper!

Journal Entry 32 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 20, 2012
Whew. This started well and ended okay, but was a total slogfest for me in the middle. I had to drag myself through it and, at one point, had to put it down to read another book because I couldn't bring myself to pick it up. The book is very well researched but the storyline just dragged for me. I also didn't fully understand why both smallpox and witchcraft needed to be in it. I mean, sure, I get that both were going on at the same time in that area, but the two storylines seemed virtually unconnected. It felt to me like the author couldn't decide which plot she wanted to use so mashed them both together. I think had Kent written something non-fiction, it would have been awesome, but she didn't succeed as a storyteller for me.

I PMed the next in line a few days ago.

Journal Entry 33 by wingFiregirlwing at Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (6/27/2012 UTC) at Annandale, Virginia USA

Posted to the next in line today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 34 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Sunday, July 08, 2012
Here it is! I'm hoping to pick this up in a few weeks time, even though I have a considerably large Mt. TBR. I'll keep everyone posted!

Journal Entry 35 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Monday, June 10, 2013
Finally managed to pick this book up!

At first I wasn't very involved in the story, so I struggled through the first chapter or so. I left it for a few days but then I gave it another go and it was really worth it. The story started to get interesting and I read it very quickly after that. I had never read anything regarding the Salem witch trials and this was quite a powerful story. Knowing that this is based on true facts and written by a descendent of a woman who suffered so much only adds to this power. I am really looking forward to reading more about the subject.

Since I'm last on the list, I'll be contacting MKtiny to see that the book gets back home in no time :) Thanks for sharing!