The Sea

by John Banville | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by kasenka of Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala / Södra Karelen Finland on 3/9/2010
Journal Entry 1 by kasenka from Rautjärvi, Etelä-Karjala / Södra Karelen Finland on Tuesday, March 09, 2010
WINNER OF THE 2005 MAN BOOKER PRIZE

From back cover:
When art historian Max Morden returns to the seaside village where he once spent a childhood holiday, he is both escaping from a recent loss and confronting a distant trauma.

The Grace family had appeared that long-ago summer as if from another world. Mr and Mrs Grace, with their worldly ease and candour, were unlike any adults he had met before. But it was his contemporaries, the Grace twins (silent, expressionless Myles and fiery, seductively poised and forthright Chloe), who most fascinated Max. He grew to know them intricately, even intimately, and what ensued would haunt him for the rest of his years and shape everything that was to follow.

Written in Banville's precise and hauntingly beautiful prose, The Sea is both a reconciliation with loss and an extraordinary meditation on identity and remembrance. Utterly compelling, profoundly moving and illuminating, it is unquestionably one of the finest works yet from a sublime master of language.

Journal Entry 2 by kasenka at on Sunday, March 14, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (3/14/2010 UTC) at

I'll send this book tomorrow as part of Alphabet RABCK Surorise -thread. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Received with thanks :)

***
ETA 3 Dec 2010:

Reserved for akosikulot for her Book Awards project.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, February 13, 2011
This was a tragic story, yet beautiful too, in its own way. I enjoyed Banville's sensual style, but I must admit that my mind did wander at times and I forgot what I had just read. (I'm a working mummy of a little boy and have trouble concentrating :D.)

Thanks for sharing, kasenka! And next to akasikulot!

Journal Entry 5 by akosikulot at Panabo City, Davao del Norte Philippines on Monday, April 04, 2011
AnniManni is kind enough to offer to pass along to me this award-winning book - thank you so much! I've actually always wanted to read Banville - been very curious about his books. Now I get to read one! Again, thank you! :D