The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel (P.S.)

by David Wroblewski | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wendyv of Blind Bight, Victoria Australia on 3/7/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wendyv from Blind Bight, Victoria Australia on Sunday, March 7, 2010
I loved this novel and actually enjoyed the references to Hamlet. I was excited to buy it even though I was a bit worried about some of the information on the back....dogs don't really interest me toi the point of wanting to read pages and pages on them....BUT the novel got me in and I loved it. I bought one for a friends birthday and leant this one to my Mother, who has also loved it. Highly recommended. If you end up with this one please journal it...not a faint hearted read, but a rewarding one. (27th March, 2010...I also bought it for my mother in law for her birthday...you can see it's one I really like).

“A CLASSSIC IN THE MAKING: Whether you read for the beauty of language or for the intricacies of plot, you will easily fall in love with David Wroblewski’s generous, almost transcendentally lovely debut novel, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. This is a tale set in rural Wisconsin in the first half of the 20th century, on a farm where the Sawtelles raise a fictional breed of dog. The dogs function like spirits in Shakespeare, or the chorus in Greek tragedy: They color the text with larger meaning yet remain tangibly real, deeply believable as dogs. Edgar is the mute boy who raises them, a mesmerizing fictional hero, primitive and wise. There are passages of language here ("A pair of does sprang over the fence on the north side of the field-two leaps each, nonchalant, long-sustained, falling earthward only as an afterthought...") that make you pause and read again with luxuriant pleasure. Wroblewski's plot is dynamic – page by page compelling – and classical, evoking Hamlet, Antigone, Electra, and Orestes, as Edgar tries to avenge his father's death and his paternal uncle's new place in the affections of his mother. The scope of this book, its psychological insight and lyrical mastery, make it one of the best novels of the year, and a perfect, comforting joy of a book for summer.” O Magazine

Journal Entry 2 by wendyv at Blind Bight, Victoria Australia on Saturday, March 27, 2010

Released 12 yrs ago (3/26/2010 UTC) at Blind Bight, Victoria Australia

I love this book and I am sure you will too, and yes, it is a long one but it is worth it. I am sending thos to Portugal as part of a 'mini- ray! Hopefully it will end up with my sister in the UK. Watch for the Hamlet intertextual references. I would also be interested to know what you thought of the ending.
Will be sent this morning from our local shop (I know they use real stamps...not print outs...a bonus!)as my husband and several of my children are away for a few days and I am walking everyhwere :), the cheapest postage possible. Please enjoy it.
Please journal it - I love knowing the books I love are in good use!

Journal Entry 3 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Friday, July 9, 2010
And here is if, after a very long journey! It arrived still wrapped up in its original envelope but inside a plastic bag with a message from the Portuguese postal services, stating that it had been damaged by their mail separation services... I guess it got caught in some machine: the envelope was, in fact, pretty much all ripped up, but the book is in perfect shape, so no problem there :) It arrived safe and sound :)

I have a couple of books to read before I can get to it, but I'll pick it up ASAP - I can't wait! As soon as I'm finished I'll let you know and gladly send it along to your sister in the UK. I'll ask you for her details then!

Thanks a lot for mailing this out all the way to Portugal. I'll keep you posted!