Bone Island Mambo: An Alex Rutledge Mystery (Alex Rutledge Mysteries)

by Tom Corcoran | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by sromano93 of Miami, Florida USA on 3/5/2010
Journal Entry 1 by sromano93 from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, March 05, 2010
A pleasant Key West Sunday in January turns into a tropical nightmare.

It's early. The tourists are still asleep. Freelance and part-time crime photographer Alex Rutledge bicycles near-vacant streets, taking pictures for his own enjoyment. But he's challenged at a restoration district construction site, accused by a developer of snapping photos for an expose.

An hour later, the city police request Rutledge's forensic photo expertise. A murder victim has been found - at the same work site. Detective Dexter Hayes, Jr., is caustic and inept, and Rutledge is dismissed before he completes his work. An hour later, the county sheriff, Chicken Neck Liska, asks Alex to photograph another murder victim, this time on nearby Stock Island.

Rutledge soon suspects that the murders are linked - illogically, through him. He can't divulge the link to his lover, Teresa Barga, for fear of compromising her police media liaison job. Alex questions the detective's blundering, while the cops begin to link him to the crimes. A powerful real estate broker offers Rutledge an odd, lucrative job. Friends are threatened. He and Teresa dodge gunshots. Yet there is no identifiable antagonist, no motive, no reason for Rutledge to be a hub for evil. To protect himself and his friends, to avoid arrest - unsuccessfully, at first - he must scratch for information on an island where few tell the truth.

At the core of Bone Island Mambo is betrayal, retribution, and revenge. The plot twists in surprising directions, and Corcoran's characters are true characters, never as laid-back as they first appear. Visit Key West, and hang on for dear life.

Journal Entry 2 by sromano93 from Miami, Florida USA on Friday, March 05, 2010
Reserved for JennyC1230 to trade for her book "Leaving Paradise"

Released 10 yrs ago (3/27/2010 UTC) at ~~~ ♥ ~~~ A Friend ~~~ ♥ ~~~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to another bookcrosser in a trade for one of her books. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Thanks for the book trade! This is a really good series, I am looking forward to reading it.

I hope you enjoy the book I sent to you: Leaving Paradise by: Simone Elkeles. I thought it was great! There is a sequal coming out in September 2010: Return to Paradise.

Journal Entry 5 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Wednesday, March 16, 2016
Book #3 in the Alex Rutledge mystery series:

This is another fun read in the Alex Rutledge mystery series. The setting is Key West, Florida (I plan to go there someday). There are a lot of weird/eccentric people who live there. I love his descriptions of Key West. It's a fun mystery set in paradise.

Sorry that I had this one so long before finally reading it!

Journal Entry 6 by JennyC1230 at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Thursday, February 02, 2017

Released 4 yrs ago (2/2/2017 UTC) at -- Mailed, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending this wishlist RABCK to iwillrejoice. Enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 7 by wingiwillrejoicewing at Fort Myers, Florida USA on Monday, February 13, 2017
Arrived safely today. Thanks for sending me this great box of books!