Portrait of a marriage

by Nigel Nicolson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by FransG of Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on 6/30/2003
Journal Entry 1 by FransG from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Monday, June 30, 2003
"She fought for the right to love, men and women, rejecting the conventions that marriage demands exclusive love, and that women should only love men, and men only women. For this she was prepared to give up everything. Yes, she may have been mad, as she later said, but it was a magnificent folly. She may have been cruel, but it was cruelty on a heroic scale. How can I despise the violence of such passion?"
Nigel Nicolson

Journal Entry 2 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Thursday, July 03, 2003
And to think I was just looking for a novel taking place in England, since I will travel there. I tend to read a lot during my holidays. Now what would be better but to find yourself in the very same surroundings, when peering over the rim of a book, as you just immersed yourself in when you were reading? I am looking forward to this one. About love, you say?

Journal Entry 3 by biba89 from Olst, Overijssel Netherlands on Sunday, November 20, 2005
And to imagine that this book has been lying idly on the stack next to my bed for more than two years. It was utterly beautiful. Nigel Nicholson, Vita and Harold's youngest son, comprised this book from his mother's diary, autobiography, letters and his own writings about his parents.
Although for him as her son he must have yearned for his mother to be more of a mother - it appeared she never was very comfortable around her children - he views her and her life with utter love for her.

Journal Entry 4 by wingOBCZ-GroteBroekwing at OBCZ de Grote Broek in Nijmegen, Gelderland Netherlands on Saturday, January 07, 2006

Released 13 yrs ago (1/7/2006 UTC) at OBCZ de Grote Broek in Nijmegen, Gelderland Netherlands