The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by geishabird of Toronto, Ontario Canada on 3/27/2010
Journal Entry 1 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 27, 2010
January 1946: London is emerging from the shadow of the Second World War, and writer Juliet Ashton is looking for her next book subject. Who could imagine that she would find it in a letter from a man she’s never met, a native of the island of Guernsey, who has come across her name written inside a book by Charles Lamb. As Juliet and her new correspondent exchange letters, Juliet is drawn into the world of this man and his friends—and what a wonderfully eccentric world it is. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society—born as a spur-of-the-moment alibi when its members were discovered breaking curfew by the Germans occupying their island—boasts a charming, funny, deeply human cast of characters, from pig farmers to phrenologists, literature lovers all.

Juliet begins a remarkable correspondence with the society’s members, learning about their island, their taste in books, and the impact the recent German occupation has had on their lives. Captivated by their stories, she sets sail for Guernsey, and what she finds will change her forever.

This is almost a very good book. I say "almost" because at times what should have been charming was derailed, sometimes by heavy-handed writing, sometimes by awkward storytelling or plot points that seemed a bit forced and too predictable. So it's a nice read and a good story, but I hesitate to say it's a great book, although at times it seemed as if it could have been, if it could have overcome the problems I have indicated above. Still, many readers haven't found these flaws and have enjoyed the book immensely, so the next reader may think I'm an old crank. :) (Which sometimes I am.)

Journal Entry 2 by geishabird at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 27, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/27/2010 UTC) at Harbord House Pub in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Bringing it to the meetup!

(Also releasing this as part of the "Never Judge A Book By Its Cover" challenge - Week 12's theme: title must contain "the","a" or "an.")

Journal Entry 3 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 27, 2010
I've heard so many good things about this book so was glad to see it brought to our meetup today! Nice to see you again :)

Journal Entry 4 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, August 26, 2011
Juliet Ashton is a writer living in post-WWII London. She has lost her flat due to a bomb and is looking for her next literary inspiration when fate intervenes. She is sent a letter from Dawsey Adams of the island Guernsey who owns a book that used to belong to her and is asking her more about that author. As Juliet learns more about Dawsey, she realizes that Guernsey was under occupation during the war and the islanders had quite a difficult time during those years. Juliet asks Dawsey if he could get other islanders to write her about their experiences during the occupation and she slowly comes up with the idea for her book.

This book is written entirely as letters between the different characters. I usually find that this formatting doesn't give the reader enough detail but in this book that wasn't the case. One complaint I do have about the formatting of this book is that the book started out with letters to and from Juliet. By the end of the book it was only letters from Juliet. I believe there was still value in reading the letters written to Juliet and I missed those at the end of the book.

Given the formatting, I was surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did. I enjoyed the stories that the islanders gave about the occupation and how both the good and bad side was portrayed. There was a fair amount going on the book but everything wrapped up quite nicely by the end.

Journal Entry 5 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 16, 2012
Mailed to Jsara today as a RABCK.