Sand Dollar Summer

by Kimberly K. Jones | Teens |
Registered by JennyC1230 of Woodstock, Georgia USA on 2/23/2010
Journal Entry 1 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Book Description:

Lise, 12, is beginning to feel at home in a new town with her single mother and 5-year-old brother, a selective mute. When her mother is injured in a car accident and faces months of rehabilitation, she decides to recover in Maine, where she grew up. Lise is shocked and resentful when they arrive at Fiddle Beach and she sees their tiny rented house. And she finds that the immense, uncontrollable, and endless ocean terrifies her. She is so caught up in her own feelings that she never really acknowledges the pain and frustration her mother is experiencing, and is even somewhat jealous of the former boyfriend who enters her mother's life. But when she meets Ben, an elderly Passamaquoddy Indian who lives in the last house on the beach, Lise finds that she can tell him about her fear and the changes in her life. Ben talks to her about knowing when to fight for what is important and when to accept change. Lise doesn't quite understand until Hurricane Fern hits and she almost loses her life while trying in vain to rescue the old man. Struggling in the water, she hears a small, clear voice calling her name–it is her brother's. Jones gets right to the heart of the matter in this captivating and touching first novel. Lise is by turns irritating, humorous, and compelling, but always believable. A first-rate debut. (For grades 6-8)

Journal Entry 2 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, March 06, 2010
My Review: Lise's life is turned upside down when her mother is injured in a car accident. She takes Lise and her little brother Free back to her old hometown in Maine. They stay in a small shack next to the ocean and Lise meets some interesting new people. Her mother re-connects with an old boyfriend who helps them all. I really enjoyed this book. It's a great coming-of-age story.

Reserved for a bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by JennyC1230 at Woodstock, Georgia USA on Monday, March 07, 2011

Journal Entry 4 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Saturday, April 02, 2011
Thanks for putting this into KiaraNala29's YA/Teen box - looks interesting.

Journal Entry 5 by winghyphen8wing at Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, May 02, 2011
An enjoyable read which made me want to find a sand dollar; unfortuately I've never seen one on the beach here..maybe I'll have to go to Maine!

(One thing I do remember from seeing sand dollars in the past is the tiny little pieces inside - they look like birds.)

Journal Entry 6 by winghyphen8wing at Chuck E. Cheese - Kalihi in Honolulu, Hawaii USA on Monday, May 02, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (5/2/2011 UTC) at Chuck E. Cheese - Kalihi in Honolulu, Hawaii USA

Left outside for trekwoman's That's a First challenge.

This book was set free to find a new reader; I'm so glad you've found it!

If you're new to Bookcrossing, I hope you will take some time to explore this wonderful free and anonymous community and learn about what it has to offer.

Free your books - help spread the words!