The Sugar Queen (Random House Reader's Circle)

by Sarah Addison Allen | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by CharmedKim of Secaucus, New Jersey USA on 2/23/2010
Journal Entry 1 by CharmedKim from Secaucus, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Purchased to send to a friend for her birthday after I saw it on her wishlist. I was so intrigued by the description that I decided to read it.

I absolutely loved it.

The characters are charming and relatable with their desires, ambitions, and faults. It is a well-crafted story, full of magic made into reality. Even though at times I sensed I knew where the story was going, there was more to add to its enchantment. I'm eager to read more from this author.

Released 9 yrs ago (2/24/2010 UTC) at Happy Birthday!, Birthday Exchange on bookobsessed -- Controlled Releases

Happy Reading!

Journal Entry 3 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Friday, February 26, 2010
I've read the other two books by this author -- Garden Spells and The Girl Who Chased the Moon -- and enjoyed both. Light reading, light magic, fun characters. I added this to my wishlist after reading the other ones. Thanks so much for the birthday gift!

Journal Entry 4 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Monday, March 07, 2011
Another charming, light book by Sarah Addison Allen. I didn't like it quite as much as either of her other two books, but I'd still read more by this author.

The "magic" of these characters was a little less interesting to me than that in either of her other two books. This book tells the story of Josey, an over-protected daughter of a rich widow. It's a pretty classic romance plot: overprotected daughter falls for socially inappropriate but actually wonderful guy, eventually manages to end up with him.

One of the characters finds that books appear to her when she needs them (and even harass her if she isn't paying enough attention to their message). This is an interesting ploy, but it was underutilized in the story.

A nice way to spend a rainy afternoon.

Journal Entry 5 by msjoanna at Columbia, Missouri USA on Thursday, March 17, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (3/16/2011 UTC) at Columbia, Missouri USA

Mailed to my BC Birthday Buddy!

Journal Entry 6 by sweetsangria at Forest Grove, Oregon USA on Friday, March 18, 2011
I have not ready any of this authors books so happy to get one. Love the cover art.

Journal Entry 7 by sweetsangria at Forest Grove, Oregon USA on Saturday, January 14, 2012
I thought this was a charming, sweet little book. I wasn't in love with the magical elements at first but they soon grew on me. I figured out the big surprise pretty early in the book but overall was an enjoyable read.

Released 7 yrs ago (7/7/2012 UTC) at Fort Stevens State Park in -- Parks (state and national) details in notes, Oregon USA

Left on the bench outside of the showers in campground.