Bitten: Women of the Otherworld

by Kelley Armstrong | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Pooker3 of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 2/22/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Monday, February 22, 2010
One of two copies (one to read and one to share) from booklounge.ca. Thanks Tracey and thanks Random House!

Journal Entry 2 by Pooker3 from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Friday, April 02, 2010
I have to assume that I asked booklounge.ca to send me this book. I've never heard of them sending books out unbidden. But, I can't imagine why I would ever have asked for it. Science fiction, fantasy, paranormal - I really don't know what the difference is among these terms. I do know that I don't care for them, no matter what they're called! I figure, either I thought I was doing a favour for a new author to read and review a first book or I was motivated by pure greed. It doesn't matter. Once the book showed up in my mail box, I felt duty-bound to read and review it. I could not imagine actually liking it.

Well, surprise, surprise! I liked it. In fact, I liked it a lot!

I picked it up while I had a couple of other books on the go, thinking I would get through it in dribs and drabs as a break from my other books or when I only had a few minutes of reading time. However, once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. It was fast paced and interesting and you wanted to find out what Elena was going to do about her problem and what would happen next.

Elena Michael's problem is that she happens to be a female werewolf. She wasn't born a werewolf - she was bitten. Most humans who are bitten do not survive the "change", females never do, except that Elena did. So she is the only female werewolf. (Now, I did have a bit of a problem with that insofar as the author tells us (through Elena) that historically werewolves favour male children, so presumably there must be females too. But I didn't let that little discrepancy spoil the story.) Now the problem is Elena doesn't want to be a werewolf, she wants to return to the normal human world, live a normal life - marry a normal good man and maybe have normal children.

And, it seems that she was going to get what she wanted. She had a good job as a journalist, an apartment in Toronto and a kind and decent guy who loved her. So what if she had to sneak out of the apartment while her man slept, skulk down an alleyway and take off her clothes about once a month when the urge to change took over her. So what if she had go for a run on all fours, kill something so as to eat raw meat every once in a while. She could live with that little secret.

But when the pack calls her home, she feels obligated to go. When she left the pack, the leader agreed he'd only call her in an emergency. And so she goes and, in returning to life with the pack, she must come to terms with who she is and what she really wants.

The book is fascinating, funny and sexy. I don't know if this one read will motivate me to read the rest of Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series (this is not a first novel) but I am glad to have read this one.

Journal Entry 3 by Pooker3 at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, April 03, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/2/2010 UTC) at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

handed off to puffintart. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 4 by puffintart at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, June 08, 2010
Blech. I thought I might enjoy this book, but I didn't. It was not a particularly original story, and the characters were uninspiring. Sorry - not a winner.

I am going to try to pass this onto a friend; maybe convince them to log the catch. They put me onto a far more engaging series in the same genre awhile back - the first book of which is: "The Becoming (The Anna Strong Chronicles, Book 1)" by Jeanne C. Stein.

Happy reading.

Journal Entry 5 by puffintart at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/13/2010 UTC) at Toronto, Ontario Canada

Released to a different friend, with a promise that she would pass it along to another friend. (The friend to whom I was originally going to release the book, had already read it - and, by-the-way, recommended the other books in the series.)

Journal Entry 6 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, October 24, 2010
Going to read on the plane and pass on in Trinidad... let's see...