The Sea

by John Banville | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by trekwoman of -- Somewhere In The State --, California USA on 2/21/2010
Journal Entry 1 by trekwoman from -- Somewhere In The State --, California USA on Sunday, February 21, 2010
Paperback. Purchased used from a local library sale.

Released 14 yrs ago (4/30/2010 UTC) at Controlled Release, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

Sent along in the Geographical Never Been Boxed box (#2: Deep South and MidSouth).

Journal Entry 3 by dancing-dog from Cordova, Tennessee USA on Saturday, May 15, 2010
Grabbing this from your Never Been Boxed box (#2: Deep South and MidSouth). Thanks for putting in such interesting books and including me in the box :)

Journal Entry 4 by dancing-dog at Cordova, Tennessee USA on Saturday, January 8, 2011
Hmmmm... I'm just not sure what to say about this book. For me, it was all over the place - at times sad, introspective, somewhat interesting, yet somewhat boring, rambling, nostalgic. I felt a little like I was inside the character's mind and well, it wasn't always quite a good thing! So, I think I'll just leave it at that - for me it was a very different sort of book and it was good to branch out of my sometimes narrow book preferences and try something like this. :)

This book will be continuing its journey in my Weather/Water/Seasons bookbox - happy reading!

Journal Entry 6 by Izzy5000 at Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Sunday, March 6, 2011
Taken from Dancingdogs' fabulous Weather Bookbox!

Journal Entry 7 by Izzy5000 at Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Monday, August 15, 2011
This book was ok, but I feel like it lacked plot. It's about a man going to a seaside village in Ireland to get over his wife's death. It was a bit depressing too, but he described everything with great detail and the ambiance of the book was really well portrayed, so I can see how this book won the Man Booker Prize.

Journal Entry 8 by Izzy5000 at Fort Collins, Colorado USA on Monday, August 15, 2011

Released 12 yrs ago (8/15/2011 UTC) at Fort Collins, Colorado USA

This book is being sent to Germany as part of the INTL Exchange for National Marine Week hosted by foxyfiona1986. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by C_ at Oelsnitz (Vogtland), Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, August 31, 2011
This is a great surprise! Thanks for this nice sea related book. The exchange really was fun. I'm already curious what this book will be like.

Journal Entry 10 by C_ at Oelsnitz (Vogtland), Sachsen Germany on Saturday, October 8, 2011
It's a very poetic book, though very depressive and sad at the same time. Max, who lost his wive a short time ago, decides to go back to the summer holiday town of his childhood, where he rents a room in the house in which his first love(s) lived. He tries to get over his wive's death while he remembers the old time.

USA Today says about The Sea that it's a "meditation on mortality, grief, death, childhood and memory..." and I agree with that. It gives an idea about the whole book, though I would definitely add violence and cruelty, which are in my opinion two main themes of the story. Violence and cruelty in Max' life, in his love, in his lovers but also violence against animals and other kids and of course the cruelty of diseases as well as of memories.

The author uses a very poetic style, as I already mentioned above, which is expressed by lots of wonderful stylistic elements. And he also uses very detailed descriptions and down to the last tiny bit written down thoughts, which was sometimes helpful to understand Max but sometimes it was all too much. I didn't like the hypochondrical thoughts, that came up from time to time. And there were some other memories I would have preferred not to read about...but well. It's a difficult book, difficult in many ways, but the most difficult thing for me now is to tell if I liked it or not. And I simply can't :) After reading the whole 195 pages I still don't know. Maybe it's like a piece of art: Sometimes you like it, sometimes you hate it and sometimes you just don't know.

Journal Entry 11 by C_ at Oelsnitz (Vogtland), Sachsen Germany on Monday, November 7, 2011

Released 12 yrs ago (11/7/2011 UTC) at Oelsnitz (Vogtland), Sachsen Germany

The book goes on a holiday to Romania, where it'll stay with the winner of the International October Sweepstakes.
I hope, it fits your taste!

Journal Entry 12 by Oedde at Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania and Partium Romania on Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Thanks for chosing this book for me, C_! Your comments and those of you other readers are, interestingly, similar in that none of you seem very sure how to judge this book. I have sometimes felt the same way about a book, so I think I can understand. Looking forward to finding out how it will be with this one. Also, I noticed that it's on the list of the 1001 books to read before you die, where I look for inspiration now and then.

(The spine of this book is cracked but there are no pages missing yet. I will take good care of it.)

Journal Entry 13 by Oedde at Kassel, Hessen Germany on Saturday, April 7, 2012
I have taken it with me to Kassel, where it will be waiting to be read.

Journal Entry 14 by Oedde at Troisdorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany on Monday, November 12, 2012
I tried to read it but didn't get very far. It doesn't seem to be the right kind of book for me right now. But that doesn't mean it might not be just perfect some other time, so I'm keeping it for a bit longer.

Journal Entry 15 by Oedde at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany on Friday, January 17, 2014

Released 10 yrs ago (1/14/2014 UTC) at Frankfurt am Main, Hessen Germany

Because I felt like it would probably be very long until I was ready to try this again and I didn't want to keep the book prisoner until then, I passed it on this week. Chawoso asked for the book, so I brought it along to the Frankfurt meetup and gave it to her.