We Are Children Just the Same: Vedem, the Secret Magazine by the Boys of Terezin

by Kurt Jiri Kotouc, Zdenek Ornest, Marie Rut Krizkova | History | This book has not been rated.
ISBN: 082760534x Global Overview for this book
Registered by flewry of Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on 2/20/2010
Journal Entry 1 by flewry from Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Saturday, February 20, 2010
Really interesting book, though I haven't read the entire thing through. Even the concept just breaks your heart.

Journal Entry 2 by flewry at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings , web, North Carolina USA on Friday, February 26, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/27/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings , web, North Carolina USA

Sending out for my "I'm moving to a tiny apartment and don't want to move all these books" RABCK!

Journal Entry 3 by nicolesinger from Newport, North Carolina USA on Friday, March 05, 2010
Flewry, thank you! What a fascinating and different perspective of the Holocaust. I'm sure it will be very sad reading, but how much sadder if it had never been published.

Unfortunately, my husband rescued this from the front porch in the middle of a driving rainstorm a couple of nights ago. (We used to have a standing request that packages that couldn't be delivered in the mailbox or to a human being be returned to the post office, but apparently the new carrier never got that memo...) Luckily, the book was wrapped in plastic, and only the covers and one corner of the pages got damp. I have it stashed in the freezer to protect it from further water damage until I can get hold of a hair dryer and ease out any remaining moisture, and I think the book will be okay.

I'm looking forward to reading this and sharing it - thank you for sharing it with me!

Journal Entry 4 by nicolesinger at Newport, North Carolina USA on Thursday, June 24, 2010
I finished this last month, but I've kept putting off making a journal entry as I try to form my impressions into words. I'm still not sure I have it right, but here goes:

This book has an impact that starts subtly, builds slowly, and comes crashing down over you like a wave. I read it in small doses, mostly because the magazine-type format made it easier to read that way, but also because it is a little overwhelming to read a lot at once.

For instance, there's a perfectly nice article about one of the Terezin facilities and an interview with its supervisor that could appear in any high school newspaper. Until it hits you that this was written by a 14-year-old boy. About the camp crematorium.

There are a lot of pictures of artwork. Mostly perfectly-ordinary-nothing-special artwork, no different from student artwork at any school. Except that so many of these pictures have the word "perished" under the artists' names. Unbelievably sad.

There's so much more I could say, but I think I will let the words of one of those who was there speak for themselves. This is an excerpt from the deposition of Zeev Shek before the Commission for the Concentration Camp of Terezin, June 29, 1946:

"In all, about fifteen thousand children passed through Terezin...In the winter of 1944-1945 there were 1,086 children left in Terezin, and at the end of the war less than three hundred children over fourteen years old returned from the camps. not a single child under fourteen, unless he or she was among the few lucky ones that had remained behind in Terezin, came back.

"None of the effort, none of this collective care for the children's mental and physical welfare, none of the education, both individual and collective, bore fruit. It made the children's stay in the ghetto a little easier. It could not prevent their terrible fate."

Thank you for sharing this book with me. It needs to be shared. I will pass it along so it can be shared again.

Journal Entry 5 by nicolesinger at Newport, North Carolina USA on Thursday, June 24, 2010
Ah, I knew there was something I meant to add. I never did find a hair dryer, thank goodness. According to the information I found, I could have permanently warped the book. Instead, I followed the book-drying advice at these sites:

Unfortunately, I cut the waxed paper too long and was not able to stand the book on its head and foot, so it ended up spending some time on its spine. As a result, the covers like to slip back toward the spine and it's just a tiny bit warped. Still very readable, thank goodness. And thank goodness it was mailed in plastic, because after being left on the porch in the driving rain, the outer packaging was completely drenched!