Brightest Star in the Sky

by Marian Keyes | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by nice-cup-of-tea of Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on 2/18/2010
Journal Entry 1 by nice-cup-of-tea from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Thursday, February 18, 2010
Love, love, love Marian Keyes! A fitting book to end 2009 with :-)

Amazon review
Not what it seems, just like its characters, 7 Jan 2010
By Sammi (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews

This review is from: The Brightest Star in the Sky (Hardcover)
Right away I should say that this doesn't provide the same amount of laughs as other Marian Keyes books, but so what? It took me a little while to get into this, but I got so engrossed that I read over half of it in one sitting today (the snow was good for something at least!), so it's worth sticking with.

To begin with most of the characters seem fairly straightforward (Jemima, an 88 year old woman who lives with her dog Grudge and dotes on her foster son, bolshy Lydia and her Polish flatmates who are scared of her, career woman Katie and loved up married couple Maeve and Matt) but once you read on and get to know them none of their lives are really as simple as they seem, especially Maeve and Matt's.

Forget about the 'magic' element which quite a few people seem to be griping about (no, I don't think she is trying to copy Cecelia Ahern's style - there's a short story that appears in either 'Under the Duvet' or 'Further Under the Duvet' which is about an angel who's come to earth so it's not like it's a radical departure from anything she's ever written before). I hate that sort of thing too and yes there's a slight mystical element to it but, like her other books, at its heart this is still very much a story about ordinary people and their lives.

Please do read it, but make sure you put the effort into sticking with it and hopefully you'll end up loving it as much as I did.