Sexing the Cherry

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by estherase on 6/28/2003
Journal Entry 1 by estherase on Saturday, June 28, 2003
Usual thing- soon as you think about a book it turns up in my magic Oxfam shop. All those people on Yahoo discussing this... and there it was! Still to be read.

Journal Entry 2 by spike1972 from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, June 11, 2005
Recieved in the post (yesterday I think).

Thank You Esterase - This will now be reserved until it embarks on its as-yet Top Secret Mission ;o)

Journal Entry 3 by spike1972 from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Friday, June 17, 2005
Ok, I've managed to find a copy of Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak on Ebay, and have wrapped this book in it, so it can start it's Secret Mission - I just hope Mr Postie knows how to deliver an invisble parcel! ;op

Journal Entry 4 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, June 21, 2005
This was sent to me by my BC-UK NSSSSS partner! Thanks for finding something I want to read! And thanks for the sweets as well :-)

Journal Entry 5 by abitstormyout from Ely, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Friday, June 24, 2005
Loved it. Invigorating, intriguing, full of vivid imagery... MUST READ MORE WINTERSON!!!!

Thanks Spike for sending it to me :-)

Journal Entry 6 by abitstormyout at RABCK in By Mail, BookCrosser -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 28, 2005

Released 14 yrs ago (11/28/2005 UTC) at RABCK in By Mail, BookCrosser -- Controlled Releases

I sent two copies of Sexing The Cherry out at the same time - it's either gone to UrbanSpaceman or cats-eye! Godspeed little book!

Journal Entry 7 by cats-eye from Bishop Auckland, County Durham United Kingdom on Thursday, December 01, 2005
this little book arrived safely this morning and will be added to my TBR pile. I will journal it properly once I've read it - I've heard lots about it, so I'm looking forward to it! Thank you so much, turquoisefloyd :o)

Journal Entry 8 by cats-eye from Bishop Auckland, County Durham United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 21, 2005
Wow, i really enjoyed this one! Winterson's writing is flawless and intelligent, and the story is certainly unique, to say the least! I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as i did, seeing as it could be described as historical fiction/myth which really isn't usually my thing, but it hooked me. I did feel that the end kinda threw a spanner into the storyline though...without giving too much away, I felt like the book should have ended before it did (i.e., the shift in time was unnecessary, IMO).
I have posted it out to a very patient Crimson-Tide as part of a Relay..enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Tuesday, January 03, 2006
Caught safely today as part of the "Mmmm Food" BookRelay. I really love Winterson's writing, and for those of you who haven't yet read "The Passion" (?turquoisefloyd) go find a copy NOW and read it. It is the only book so far that I have given a rating of 10.

And don't worry at all about the patience bit; if you could only see the size of my Mount TBR!! Thanks cats-eye. Thanks for the postcard too ~ I have actually been to Durham Cathedral and loved it.

Journal Entry 10 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Wednesday, September 26, 2007
Chosen by FreePages from my TBR shelf as one of the winners of my 'double birthday celebration' rabck draw. So now it has progressed to the 'must read very, very soon' pile!

Journal Entry 11 by wingcrimson-tidewing from Balingup, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, January 12, 2008
"Empty space and points of light." Love, time, dreams, journeys, stories, reality, lies and truths. Favourite Winterson themes, and done with such intelligent and lyrical writing. The Dog Woman is such a fantastically wonderful character, the story of the 12 dancing princesses pure delight and the whole book . . . magic!

Soon to be off to FreePages, once I have finished with another to accompany it.
Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, February 08, 2008
Yipee, Caught!
Thanks Crimson-tide I havent read anything by this author yet and this sounds like a little delight.
Placing it high up on mount TBR.
:-)

Journal Entry 13 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Friday, December 12, 2008
Well, at only 144 pages, my first impression was a lovely little handbag size book that I can take with me for that odd reading moment. That didn't seem to work really well, so I read it over the past couple of nights (I'm not sure why it took that long, I just kept falling asleep.)
I have a thing about the John Tradescants (this book mentions the sons travels). I read about Tradescant Snr in Phillipa Gregory's "Earthly Joys". Well, maybe that was why I was a bit disappointed with the book, I wanted more botanical history, I guess, more anecdotes about Bananas and Pineapples meeting the people and the King of England :-) and Tradescants travels to Bermuda. I quite liked the book jumping around at first, throwing in the 12 princesses and the odd Greek myth reference. Then when it skipped to the present near the end of the book it got old for me. (I agree with you cats-eye).
Maybe I need to read it again, without my preconceptions.
I really need someone to explain to me why it is on the 1001 list, I think there are other better books that could take its place (harsh aren't I).
I really think I've missed the point. Very glad to have had the opportunity to read it tho'.
Thanks again everyone before me who passed it on and especially to crimson-tide who made it one of my ex-wishlist books. :-)
It hasn't put me off reading more Winterson, I will try to find a copy of "The Passion", maybe I'll be better prepared for her style with that one.
I think I might look at donating it to the Aussie branch of the bookcrossing 1001 library.

Journal Entry 14 by FreePages from Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, December 15, 2008
I list my bookrings at The Bookring Directory!

Starting a Bookring for this one.
Order of Participants is not set and subject to change without notice.

Bookring rules

The Usual Rules Apply

1. When you receive the book make a journal entry so that we all know that it has arrived safely.
2. After you have read the book, journal what you thought of it.
3. Contact the next person after you in the list for their address. Remembering to check who is after you, this may change as new people are added to try to keep the postage costs down.
4. Send the book on.
5. If you are going to keep the book for more than a month contact FreePages or make a journal entry, so I know the ring is not stalled. If you are contacted for your address and you have thousands of bookrings in your TBR pile, instead of holding up the ring or skipping the book, the order may be able to be changed so that you don't miss out. PM Freepages. Keep postage in mind though.
6. Any questions or problems PM Freepages, anytime.
7. Enjoy the ring :-) and please consider leaving a tiny footprint to show it was in your hands mine is a :-) on page 176 or on the last page whichever comes first :-)

Participants

fairy-whispers (Aus)
davemurray101 (Newcastle, NSW, AUS) (can ship International)
kzel (Melbourne, Vic, AUS)
leeny37 (Melbourne, Vic, AUS)
KLL (Perth, Aus) (can ship International)
Caroley (UK)(can ship International)
brunton11 (UK)(prefer to ship UK/EU)
kirstykat (UK) (can ship International)asked to be skipped
Wigglywoods (UK) (can ship International)
nikel27 (Germany) (can ship International)
rebeccaljames (USA) Prefers US shipping asked to be skipped
hostile17(Osgood, Indiana USA) (US shipping)
Mrsordonez (St. Louis, Missouri, USA)(Prefers US shipping)=> Book is here
judygreeneyes (San Diego, California USA) (can post anywhere)
Lottiotta (UK) (can ship International)
Jellyfish67 (UK)

...and back to Freepages (Canberra, AUS)

It will be offered to the Aussie branch of the 1001 library once the ring is finished. There are very few copies of this book registered in Aus.

Journal Entry 15 by FreePages at Calwell, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Monday, December 22, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (12/22/2008 UTC) at Calwell, Australian Capital Territory Australia

The bookring has started !

Placed in the post to fairy-whispers today.

Enjoy :-)

Journal Entry 16 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Monday, December 29, 2008
Photobucket

G'day,

Just checking in to let you know I am safe and sound. I am having a nice visit with fairy-whispers before continuing on my travels. I hope you’re having as much fun as I am!

With Great Affection,

Your Book :-)

Journal Entry 17 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, January 06, 2009
Sexing the Cherry is certainly imaginative, but it is not my cup of tea. Like a stream-of-consciousness poem, I found this book extremely difficult to follow. The stories jump from person to person, time to time, place to place, reality to fantasy until it seems as though we are completely adrift. No doubt this was the intent, but, while there were some interesting philosophies expressed throughout, I do not have the patience to untangle all the knots.

Journal Entry 18 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Friday, February 13, 2009
Oh my gosh! I completely forgot about those books! I've bought a book baggie for them and everything. I will put them in the post first thing Monday Morning. I am so sorry! Thank you, freepages, for reminding me!

Journal Entry 19 by seldombites at Valentine, New South Wales Australia on Monday, February 16, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/15/2009 UTC) at Valentine, New South Wales Australia

Dancing Flowers Hugs

I’m missing you but I’m still having fun, so I’m off to visit davemurray101. See you soon!

Journal Entry 20 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, February 23, 2009
Just recieved this one today in the mail. thanks to freepages and fairywhispers.

Journal Entry 21 by davemurray101 from Lower Hutt, Wellington Province New Zealand on Saturday, February 28, 2009
Can't really say I liked this one that much. Having done civil war history at university - Winterson's attemps to create a feel for the era were 2-dimensional at best. Otherwise an unusual and engaging story. PMing kzel to see where the book goes next.

Journal Entry 22 by davemurray101 at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 13, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/13/2009 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sent to kzel on 05/03

Journal Entry 23 by kzel from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Picked up from the post office on my way to work this morning. Started to read it on the tram, but perhaps not the best book to read first thing in the morning. I'm finding it a little convuluted, but will continue on...

Journal Entry 24 by kzel from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Monday, March 30, 2009
Still not sure what I thought of this book - I found the concept interesting, but not convinced that I actually liked it, though I can't say I disliked it either. Guess I'm on the fence with this one!

Journal Entry 25 by kzel from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, May 05, 2009
Sorry for holding this up - I've been working crazy hours, and so have been very scatter-brained in the scant personal time I've gotten in the past month. I will have this moving by the end of the week.

Journal Entry 26 by kzel at sent by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/6/2009 UTC) at sent by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted this morning to leeny

Journal Entry 27 by leeny37 from Melbourne CBD, Victoria Australia on Tuesday, May 12, 2009
I had been away but I'm back now and the book is safe with me. I have a few bookrings piling up and not enough time, but I'll try to get to it soon!

From Amazon.com:
Evoking modern physics and antique metaphysics, Winterson's ambitiously eccentric narrative challenges her readers to rupture the boundaries of conventional perceptions and linear experience of time. Her narrative voices, alternating between a Rabelaisian giantess and her foundling son, collapse at times into one another and the characters plunge vertiginously through time and space. On the one hand reworking fairy tales, and on the other evoking the filth, squalor and exuberant bawdiness of 17th-century England in the throes of civil war, Winterson eventually locates her characters in present-day London. Graced with striking similes and poetic cadences, the author's prose is clean and strong, and the disjunctive elements of her narrative are integrated elegantly. But the novel's freakish characters and flights of surreal fancy are insufficient to redeem its overwrought artifice. The work is further limited by its stridently dogmatic feminism, which, contemptuously belittling all men as arrogantly stupid bullies who are vastly women's inferiors in maturity and moral fiber, vitiates its ostensible intent to transcend the narrowness of human perception.

Journal Entry 28 by leeny37 at Forest Hill, Victoria Australia on Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/16/2009 UTC) at Forest Hill, Victoria Australia

Unfortunately, I have a lot of catching up to do with life in general so I will have to pass this on without reading it. This is now on its way to KLL via a prepaid Express Post satchel, tracking #: MV0447003.

Journal Entry 29 by KLL from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Sunday, August 09, 2009
Finally picked this up yesterday! It looks like a pretty quick read so I will put it next in my TBR pile and see if I can get it moving soon. Thanks to leeny37 for sending it on!!

Journal Entry 30 by KLL from Perth City, Western Australia Australia on Saturday, September 05, 2009
This book was not at all what I was expecting. I've heard of it, however I had no idea what it was about and so I'd always imagined some sixties or seventies feminist manifesto! While it could still be considered a sort of feminist manifesto, it's obviously not set in the 60s or 70s. Actually I felt Jordan's chapters/sections had more insight into feminine/masculine, whereas Dog-Woman's sections seemed more fantastical. I loved the botanical content (and the references to 'Sexing the Cherry') and also the references to/illustrations of pineapples and bananas.

I have to admit, though, this book took me ages to read, compared to it's small size - partly because I've been reading it during a period in which I've had very little reading time, but also because I foudn it surprisingly dense. I suspect I don't have enough background history to make this book compeltely satisfying, but I did still enjoy what was a rather fantastical tale.

I'll pm Carolely now to get the book moving again. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 31 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Received today thanks.

I should be able to read this fairly quickly as I don't have any other rings on the go at the moment.

Journal Entry 32 by Caroley from Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, September 25, 2009
I liked this. I liked it a lot actually. It was whimsical and slightly strange. I like that in a book.

Highlights were the dancing princesses, the dog woman and the way the story echoed through time. I quite liked the end as it seemed to fit with the general feel of the fluid nature of time through the book.

Thanks very much for the chance to read this Freepages, and thanks for posting it on to me KLL.

I've PMd brunton11 and will send the book travelling again very soon.

Journal Entry 33 by Caroley at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (9/30/2009 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Posted 2nd class to Brunton11.

Journal Entry 34 by wingbrunton11wing from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 01, 2009
Arrived today - Thanks all for sharing and caroley for the lovely card :)

Journal Entry 35 by wingbrunton11wing from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 13, 2009
The style and length of this book made it a quick read. I particularly liked the tales of the 12 princesses. I've PM'd kirstykat for her address and will get this book posted as soon as I get it. Thanks all for sharing.

Journal Entry 36 by wingbrunton11wing from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 19, 2009
Kirstykat has asked to be skipped so I've contacted Lottiotta for their address... Lottiotta has asked to be moved further down the posting order if possible. I've PM'd Wigglywoods for their address...

Journal Entry 37 by wingbrunton11wing from Chester, Cheshire United Kingdom on Thursday, October 29, 2009
Posting to wigglywoods today. It hasn't got too far to go so hopefully won't take too long with the postal strikes etc...

Journal Entry 38 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Thursday, November 05, 2009
Arrived yesterday - thanks Brunton11. Have had a few rings arrive all at once but will read asap.

Journal Entry 39 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, February 08, 2010
I'm so sorry to have kept this for so long. I did enjoy reading it...a little 'odd' but I enjoy that in a book sometimes. Pming nickel 27 for address today.

Journal Entry 40 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, February 15, 2010
went in today's post.

Journal Entry 41 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, February 23, 2010
arrived safe at my house, 1 more BookRing to read before I can start here but I am a fast reader.

update:
Good read, thanks for sharing this book with me.
Asked for the next members address:
rebeccaljames (USA)would like to skip this time
hostile17(USA)

Journal Entry 42 by nikel27 at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Monday, March 22, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/22/2010 UTC) at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

thanks again for sharing with me.

Journal Entry 43 by book_drunkard from Osgood, Indiana USA on Monday, April 26, 2010
Received in the mail today.
Plan on reading it this evening and passing along before the week is out.

Journal Entry 44 by book_drunkard from Osgood, Indiana USA on Wednesday, April 28, 2010
This book is a hoot and gave me many good laughs.
Best line in the book (IMHO) ...
"Men are so careless with their members and will put them anywhere without thinking" ...
Sent a PM to Mrsordonez on April 26. Haven't heard back from her yet.
Found her email addy on her profile page. Will send an email next.
Hope to move this book along before the week is out.
Thank you for sharing with all of us FreePages.

Journal Entry 45 by book_drunkard at to next participant, a ring/ray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, April 29, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (4/29/2010 UTC) at to next participant, a ring/ray -- Controlled Releases

Mailed off this morning to the next in line.

Journal Entry 46 by mrsordonez from Fenton, Missouri USA on Thursday, May 20, 2010
Got this about two weeks ago, but have been on vacation. Thanks so much for sharing!!!!

Journal Entry 47 by mrsordonez at St. Louis, Missouri USA on Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Can't figure out if I've journalled this or not, still getting used to the feel of the new website. Thanks for sharing, this will be my next book to read. :)

Journal Entry 48 by mrsordonez at St. Louis, Missouri USA on Sunday, August 08, 2010
Argh! Can't read all the JE's on my mobile. Finished it. Loved the 12 princesses and the bits about the brothels, not sire what to make of the rest of it. Sent a PM to Judy over a week ago but just figured out the spam filter must have eaten it so trying again.

Journal Entry 49 by mrsordonez at St. Louis, Missouri USA on Friday, November 19, 2010
Please forgive me, sorry I'm so awful! I'm sending this out tomorrow first thing!

Journal Entry 50 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Monday, November 29, 2010
Yay!! "Sexing the Cherry" showed up this week in beautiful San Diego, California. I'm really looking forward to starting it. I'm reading "The Line of Beauty" (Man Booker award in 2004) right now by Alan Hollinghurst, which is one of those books that takes concentration and has about 100 too many pages, but it has been very interesting so far. As soon as I'm done with that one, I'll give this book a whirl. Thanks very much to all of you who took good care of this book up until now!!

Journal Entry 51 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Friday, December 31, 2010
I can tell that this book is very interesting and well-written, but it just didn't grab me. I wanted to love it, really, but just couldn't stick with it. Lottiota and jellyfish67 have chosen not to take it next, and so far I have not had any luck getting response to PM's to FreePages. Thanks for sharing and Happy New Year 2011!!

Journal Entry 52 by wingjudygreeneyeswing at San Diego, California USA on Friday, February 04, 2011
I have tried and tried to contact FreePages, but no luck, so I'm offering this book as a continuing ring, and will list FreePages at the end of the list so it ends up back there eventually.

Here is the bookring mailing order:
ayntastic (USA)
dutch-book (Netherlands)
faerie_queene (UK)
jellyfish67 (UK)
FreePages (Australia) - end

Journal Entry 53 by FreePages at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, February 05, 2011

judygreeneyeswing- sorry, if you've had trouble contacting me. Might be something wrong with the site. I can't remember seeing any messages. Just PMed you then.

Feel free tho' to continue the ring, sounds like a great idea.
Cheers

Journal Entry 54 by ayntastic at Davis, California USA on Monday, February 21, 2011
Received in the mail today - have wanted to read this one for a while but it was not available at my local library. Thanks for the bookray!

Journal Entry 55 by ayntastic at Davis, California USA on Monday, February 28, 2011
Well...this was certainly creatively written. Winterson introduces some interesting themes, though I can't say that I agree with the reviews that lauded this book as "dazzling" and "intricately enjoyable." I'm neither squeamish, nor a prude, but the graphic sex and violence really seemed unnecessary. I "get" that these are important to the characterization and speak to the period of history, but man alive! Don't know if I could have handled more than 144 pages of this disjointed story. Glad to be passing it along.

Journal Entry 56 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 23, 2011
The book has arrived safely. I look forward to reading this with interest.

Journal Entry 57 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 27, 2011
An unusual book - not something I would have associated with Jeanette Winterson. It was an enjoyable little diversion. Thanks for sharing it with me.

Journal Entry 58 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (4/28/2011 UTC) at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom

Posting on to AngelChild. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 59 by AngelChild at Rochester, Kent United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 04, 2011
Received in the post today, so will start reading tomorrow ;o)

Journal Entry 60 by AngelChild at Rochester, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, May 22, 2011
Hmmmmmm....not too sure what i think of this one to be honest lol...i cant say i disliked it, but i cant say that i liked it either....for a small book its taken me ages to read, probably due to the fact that i never had an urge to pick it up.....very imaginative and unique thats for sure ;o)

Have PM'd madpocky and will get it posted as soon as i get an addy.

Thanks for sharing, it was, ummm, an experience lol

Journal Entry 61 by AngelChild at Rochester, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, July 01, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/1/2011 UTC) at Rochester, Kent United Kingdom

Whoops, sorry, i forgot to do release notes for this one......

Got this book in the mail yesterday! Thanks judygreeneyes for sharing and AngelChild for posting. I will be reading this right away. ^______________^

The prose in this book is absolutely stunning; the images it imparted mostly dream-like and occasionally disturbing. The story it was trying to tell, however, almost blasted the better part of my brain to eternal confusion. Having said that, do not be fooled by the girth of this book. For although it looks thin, it’s got double the size of the world in it—it having been written with little regard for time and space.

In Jeanette Winterson’s Sexing The Cherry, the boundaries between reality and non-reality are continuously challenged, as is the difference (and non-difference) amongst the tenses of time. On one hand, we have Jordan, an adventurer in both the real world as we know it (and that which he sometimes doubts the existence of) and the world he has created within the boundless possibilities of his imagination. On the other, we have The Dog Woman, whose narratives seem bound enough to a rather exaggerated sense of reality, full of the skinny on her gigantic self, and blood from her own heroic exploits. But in the midst of all these seemingly farcical depictions of reality and imagination is an exploration into the man’s perpetual need to do what he feels is best for the fulfillment of his heart’s desire. Whether it be for justice, respect, love, or just plainly out of curiosity—unless a man is able to do what he has set out to do, he will never find true happiness, or his whole self for that matter.

A challenging read. But it was well worth the time. Thanks for sharing! :)

Journal Entry 64 by madpocky at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 25, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/25/2011 UTC) at by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This book is now on its way to its next reader. Happy reading! :)

Journal Entry 65 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Arrived safely today from the Philippines ..
I have one book to finish reading & this one will then be the next...

Journal Entry 66 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Tuesday, August 16, 2011
A deceiving book - only 144 pages thought I - I quick read thought I.
Well, not quite found out I... At 60+ years of age reading this book meant unlocking very well sealed (even rusty) doors into what & how a novel should read.
This is actually a plus as we all get very lazy and complacent when reading ...
Did I enjoy the book - yes for the most part but it read a little like a book of poetry for me - some poems I loved, some poems I liked & some poems I didn't really like at all.
I know it all did come together culminating in the reincarnation at the end, but this was the part I had the hardest time grasping.
I loved the bawdy humorous episodes with Dog Lady - a couple of times I was almost doubled over laughing.
I also loved the idea of 'word cleaners' going around cleaning up all the word pollution clogging up the atmosphere.
Wasn't so enamoured with the 12 Princesses..
All in all a very enjoyable read & will now be looking to read more of Jeanette Winterson's novels.

Journal Entry 67 by wingoppemwing at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (8/17/2011 UTC) at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada

Sending onwards to Canada... Hope you enjoy the read.

Journal Entry 68 by rockyhorror1978 at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 29, 2011
Arrived today! Thank you for passing it on oppem! I am just finishing a book (about 50 pages left) and then I look forward to starting this one! :)

Journal Entry 69 by rockyhorror1978 at St. Catharines, Ontario Canada on Sunday, September 18, 2011
I liked this book. It was unusual to say the least! :) At the beginning of the book, I was hesitant since it seemed that it was going to be a short, but tough read; but I found after a few pages I was quickly hooked and quite attached to both Jordan and the Dog Woman as characters.

The contrasts between characters and time was also an interesting addition to the book. I liked, as madpocky pointed out, that while Jordan's life seemed rooted in the real world, he was an imaginative character and vice versa for the dog woman. It gave the characters dimension.

16 October 2011: Have tried to contact MmeClinton twice. I will see if she responds before trying the next reader in the list.

Would I recommend this book to someone? I think it would depend heavily on their reading preference and whether they enjoyed unusual literature.

Thanks for sharing this book. I have emailed ravencat for his/her email address and will pass it forward once I have finished.