Love and Vertigo

by Hsu-Ming Teo | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Dancesports of Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on 2/13/2010
Journal Entry 1 by Dancesports from Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Saturday, February 13, 2010
Another second hadn bookshop find to contribute to the contemporary asian VBB.

Winner of the 1999 The Australian/Vogel Literary Award. hsu-Ming Teo was born in Malaysia and immigrated to Australia with heer family in 1977.

From the back cover:
"For the first time in my life, I saw my mother in relation to her family, and I didn't recognise her any more.... These Singaporean roots of hers, this side of her - and possibly of me too - were unacceptable. I was determined not to belong, not to fit in, because I was Austalian, and mum ought to be Australian too. The tug of her roots, the blurring of her role from wife and mother to sister and aunt, angered me."

"On the eve of her mother's wake, Grace Tay flies to Singapore to join her brother and her mother's family. Here she explores her families history, looking for answers to her mother's death. This beautiful and movin novel steps between Singapore, Malaysia and Australia, evoking the life, the traditions and tastes of a forceful Chinese family as well as the hardship, the cruelty and pain. Written in a fresh contemporary voice tinged with biting humour, this is a story about resilience, a story about migration, but in many ways it is a story about parents' expectations for their children."

Journal Entry 2 by Dancesports at Petcheys Bay, Tasmania Australia on Monday, June 14, 2010
This was a quick read even though I had to start it twice to finish it. This book can't be called a happy book by any twist of the imagination. But it has an amazing honesty and frankness that I have also noticed in other books that I have read as part of the Asian VBB. It also provides that cultural insight that I wouldn't be exposed to otherwise.

Released 10 yrs ago (6/28/2010 UTC) at Contemporary Asian Literature, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

one of your choices form the contemporary asian book box, sorry it has taken me a while to finsih reading and send on to you.

Journal Entry 4 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Saturday, September 25, 2010
Just received this in the mail. Thanks a lot, Dancesports! This seems very interesting, looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 5 by wingApoloniaXwing at Bremen, Bremen Germany on Sunday, November 27, 2011
The story about a dysfunctional family moving from Singapore to Malaysia and then to Australia, told from the daughter's perspective, after her mother's (who seems to suffer from a bi-polar disorder I think) suicide. It's written in an easy, flowing style, with great descriptions of life in Singapore, Malaysia and Australia.

Journal Entry 6 by wingApoloniaXwing at a fellow bookcrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, January 01, 2012

Released 8 yrs ago (1/3/2012 UTC) at a fellow bookcrosser, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

New Year RABCK
travelling to OpheliaPhillips

Journal Entry 7 by Apechild at York, North Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, January 14, 2012
Thank you so much!! This was such a nice surprise to get in the post. Happy 2012 to you =)