Like Water for Chocolate

by Laura Esquivel | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingApoloniaXwing of Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on 2/12/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingApoloniaXwing from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin Germany on Friday, February 12, 2010
From Publishers Weekly
Each chapter of screenwriter Esquivel's utterly charming interpretation of life in turn-of-the-century Mexico begins with a recipe--not surprisingly, since so much of the action of this exquisite first novel (a bestseller in Mexico) centers around the kitchen, the heart and soul of a traditional Mexican family. The youngest daughter of a well-born rancher, Tita has always known her destiny: to remain single and care for her aging mother. When she falls in love, her mother quickly scotches the liaison and tyrannically dictates that Tita's sister Rosaura must marry the luckless suitor, Pedro, in her place. But Tita has one weapon left--her cooking. Esquivel mischievously appropriates the techniques of magical realism to make Tita's contact with food sensual, instinctual and often explosive. Forced to make the cake for her sister's wedding, Tita pours her emotions into the task; each guest who samples a piece bursts into tears. Esquivel does a splendid job of describing the frustration, love and hope expressed through the most domestic and feminine of arts, family cooking, suggesting by implication the limited options available to Mexican women of this period. Tita's unrequited love for Pedro survives the Mexican Revolution the births of Rosaura and Pedro's children, even a proposal of marriage from an eligible doctor. In a poignant conclusion, Tita manages to break the bonds of tradition, if not for herself, then for future generations.

Journal Entry 2 by wingApoloniaXwing at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (3/30/2010 UTC) at RABCK, RABCK -- Controlled Releases

This book is travelling to one of the winners of the European Full Moon Multi-Winner RABCK, along with some chocolate.
Congratulations!

Journal Entry 3 by wingBoekentrolwing from Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, April 03, 2010
What a pleasant surprise this morning!! The mail man was early and brought me a book crossing parcel... I'm one of the winners of the European Full Moon Multi Winner RABCK!! WOW!! *jmps up and down with exitement*

Thank you very much, ApoloniaX for this book and the chocolate that came along with it. I'm very curious for the 'rice-chocolate', as far as I can remember, I haven't tried anything like it yet. I'll let you know!

Journal Entry 4 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Friday, April 03, 2015
Exactly 5 years ago today I received this book. Now it will be read and sent on when I'm finished.... *blush*

Journal Entry 5 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Saturday, April 04, 2015
A page turner right from the start.
This book grabbed me and did not let go untill I had read the last page. Nearly read it in one sitting, if I hadn't had to eat.

Why was it such an interesting book? I'm not sure. It was not so much about the recipes for me, but more the unusualness of the book in total. It gave an insight in Mexican life, traditions and cooking, but also showed the harshness.
It was a story about love, loss, hate, sacrifices. Ususally the kind of story I avoid, because I dislike women's ficction, chicklit, romance, whatever you call it. But this one was good. I especially liked the extra power Tita's feelings gave to the food she was preparing.

Journal Entry 6 by wingBoekentrolwing at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands on Monday, April 27, 2015

Released 4 yrs ago (4/28/2015 UTC) at Leeuwarden, Fryslân (Friesland) Netherlands

This book is now on its way to the person who won the draw in greenbadger's A Book A Month RABCK.

Safe travels little book & I hope you like it as much as I did, lamilla!

Journal Entry 7 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Saturday, May 16, 2015
Thank you for the book, looking forward to reading it!

On the front cover blurb stated that it was previously published as "like water for hot chocolate". It kind of solves the mystery of the title which puzzled me from the first time I saw the book mentioned

Journal Entry 8 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Tuesday, March 27, 2018
Reserved for wings/wishlist sweeps

Journal Entry 9 by wingLamillawing at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus on Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (3/28/2018 UTC) at Минск / Minsk, Minsk Belarus

You've found a travelling book. Hurray!
The book's journey continues by its finder's cooperation and creativity. By making a journal entry on this book, you can add to the book's story as it travels from reader to reader around the world.
Enjoy your reading!

Привет!
Спасибо, что нашли время зайти на сайт и сделать запись в журнале! Напишите, когда и где вы нашли книгу.
Перед тем, как попасть к Вам, она побывала в других уголках света. История ее путешествий записана на сайте, и теперь к ней добавился еще один пункт. Я очень рада, что она нашла нового читателя в Вашем лице.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAbi-Gibbywing at Millbrook, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, April 14, 2018
Thank you very much for sending me this book

Released 1 yr ago (5/11/2018 UTC) at Mount Edgcumbe Country Estate in Cremyll, Cornwall United Kingdom

As I have two copies of this book, this one is now being set off on its journey

I found that this book was very compelling and very difficult to put down

Congratulations, you have picked up a travelling book!
Happy reading!

Not sure what to do? Follow these steps!

2) Make a journal entry on this book to let us know how you found it!

***Please Note***

Journal Entry 12 by Bosun at Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom on Saturday, May 12, 2018
I found it today hanging on a railing at the Cremyll Gate to Mount Edgcumbe in Cornwall. I'd always wanted to find a Book Crossing Book and have finally done so! I've joined the website and will be reading this one and sending it on it's way afterwards, as well as a lot of others. Thank you to whoever left it there (I'm assuming) this morning. It made my day!

Journal Entry 13 by Bosun at barbican plymouth in Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom on Monday, July 16, 2018

Released 10 mos ago (7/16/2018 UTC) at barbican plymouth in Plymouth, Devon United Kingdom

Happy travelling, Like Water for Chocolate.