Memories of My Melancholy Whores

by Gabriel Garcia Marques | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing of San Ramon, California USA on 2/6/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing from San Ramon, California USA on Saturday, February 06, 2010
I received this brand new book from another Bookcrosser, TinaJean, as part of the book, tea & chocolate sweepstakes rabck. This book was on my wishlist. I look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 2 by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing from San Ramon, California USA on Saturday, February 20, 2010
Nice quick read..This was the first novel I've read by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.... Kinda of a sad book. I am sending this off as a bookray.

RonOren (Will Ship Anywhere)
MarcThomas (Will ship within Europe)
mafarrimond (Ship within EU)
silvia-pco (Prefers to ship within Europe)
okyrhoe (Will ship worldwide)
Lizzy-stardust
mysticalzoe (USA ONLY)
ciloma (USA ONLY)
akosikulot (Philippines will ship anywhere)
moonblue (South Africa will ship anywhere)
souram (Will ship worldwide)

Journal Entry 3 by wingFeistyPom2Lovewing at Cambridge, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, March 04, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (3/6/2010 UTC) at Cambridge, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Happy Reading! I hope you enjoy this novella.

Journal Entry 4 by RonOren from Balham, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Just arrived, thanks FeistyPom2Love! I'll take it along on my commute over the next couple of days; look forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 5 by RonOren from Balham, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, March 22, 2010
I thought it was lovely, very sweet. The best part for me was not the story between the narrator and his whore/love (although I loved that he randomly made up a name for her), but how the narrator was a 90-year old, behaving like a teenager. Isn't that just the perfect way to grow old? Never mind the falling in love, nice as that would be, it's all about still living the way you want to, not the way your body tells you to...

As every other Marquez that I've read, it just left me smiling slightly to myself. What more can you ask from a book? Thanks for sharing this, FeistyPom2Love: it was a very enjoyable two commutes last week :-). I'll get in touch with MarcThomas and will get the book moving on soon.

Journal Entry 6 by RonOren from Balham, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, April 03, 2010
Sent on to MarcThomas (sorry about the delay in posting). Hope you'll enjoy it!

Journal Entry 7 by MarcThomas from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Friday, April 09, 2010
Got it yesterday in the mail. Thanks FeistyPom2Love for organising the ray and thanks RonOren for sending it from England. Will get to it as soon as I finish my current book and will pass it on right after.

Journal Entry 8 by MarcThomas from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Wednesday, April 14, 2010
It took me only one day to get through the book. It's the first time I read a Spanish text translated into English but I must say I really enjoyed that story. (I can't read Spanish anyway.) The novella is very tender and the subject is quite. I just couldn't take my eyes off of the book.

PMing mafarrimond so the ray goes on.

Journal Entry 9 by MarcThomas at Bookring, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal on Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (6/8/2010 UTC) at Bookring, -- Por correio / mão própria -- Portugal

On its way to the next reader. Sorry for keeping it so long, I thought I had sent the book earlier but obviously I hadn't.

Journal Entry 10 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 14, 2010
The book has arrived safely along with a few others. I will read as soon as able and pass on. Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 11 by mafarrimond at Hawarden, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, July 05, 2010
The first book I have read by Marquez and I wasn't sure what to expect. It was a gentle read but kinda sad in parts.

Journal Entry 12 by mafarrimond at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (7/8/2010 UTC) at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal

Posting on to silvia-pco. Hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 13 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Wednesday, July 21, 2010
It's here! I have a couple of books to go through before I can pick this one up, but I'll try to be quick and keep you posted. I can't wait to read this, it's been on my wishlist for quite some time!

Journal Entry 14 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Tuesday, August 17, 2010
This was my first book by Marquez, and although it was a wishlist book I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

I liked it, for many reasons that were already pointed out by other readers; one of them being the tenderness of the plot. Marquez picked up a subject that could be controversial (a 90-year-old falling in love with a teenager) and built a very sweet story around it. I also liked how the narrator behaved liked a teenager, as RonOren mentioned, reinforcing the idea that love and youth can exist and be found at any age.

Thanks for sharing, FeistyPom2Love. I already have okyrhoe's address, and I plan to send this out sometime during the next week.

Journal Entry 15 by silvia-pco at Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Saturday, August 21, 2010
The book's already on its way to okyrhoe. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 16 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, August 23, 2010
Arrived in Athens.
Thanks FeistyPom2Love for including me in the ring, and silvia-pco for mailing the book to me!

Journal Entry 17 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, September 29, 2010
For some reason I didn't enjoy this short novel as much as I thought I would.
I'm still trying to figure out whether it's a piece with a 'real' 3-D protagonist who evolves & "grows up" even at this late stage in his life, or a politically-charged reflection on the old world (the classics) vs. the new (technology), or if it's a metaphysical fable with some kind of moral lesson about life/death/love at the end...

Journal Entry 18 by okyrhoe at book ring/ray, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (9/29/2010 UTC) at book ring/ray, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

On its way to Lizzy-stardust by post.

Journal Entry 19 by Lizzy-stardust at Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Friday, October 08, 2010
Received in the post yesterday. Will read it after I finish Misery.

Journal Entry 20 by Lizzy-stardust at Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Sunday, October 17, 2010
Finished this yesterday. It was pretty good; classic Garcia Marquez. But I think I am a bit bitter at this stage in my life to appreicate such a beautiful love story. Thanks for sharing, FeistyPom2Love!

Journal Entry 21 by rem_EOL-341852 at Gardiner, Maine USA on Friday, October 29, 2010
I received the book yesterday but found it today inside my doorstep, as my son was heading out to school. Looks to be a quick read!

11-1-10~November already!!! Anyway I started this yesterday and I am halfway through it, hoping to finish today, not sure what to say about it. I'll leave comments till the end.

11-3-10~Oh boy! I did not enjoy this book, i read to the end only because it was short but it was very depressing. I'll get a hold of the next reader and send it out.

Journal Entry 22 by rem_EOL-341852 at Gardiner, Maine USA on Friday, November 05, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (11/5/2010 UTC) at Gardiner, Maine USA

Finished a few days ago, but with all of these quizzes and homework, the time got away from me. So finally sending this off today when I am done with a parent conference. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 23 by ciloma at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Monday, November 08, 2010
Greetings. Book has made it here. I'm glad it is a small one - most of the books I've read so far this year have been quite long either by page count or by subject matter. (So much for getting my TBR stack whittled down this year...) Thanx for sending it my way.

Journal Entry 24 by ciloma at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Thursday, December 09, 2010
A lovely book. Well written and melancholy.

Journal Entry 25 by ciloma at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA on Sunday, December 12, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (12/11/2010 UTC) at Spirit Lake, Idaho USA

On its way to the Philippines . . .

Journal Entry 26 by akosikulot at Panabo City, Davao del Norte Philippines on Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Mother picked it up at the post office for me today. I actually read the book in one sitting last night - a fairly quick, easy read! Oh, it's my first Gabriel Garcia Marquez book, by the way - and it didn't disappoint. :)

PS. Thank you to ciloma for the lovely Idaho postcards and bookmarks!

Journal Entry 27 by akosikulot at Panabo City, Davao del Norte Philippines on Thursday, February 10, 2011
"Don't let yourself die without knowing the wonder of fucking with love." - Thoughts on Memories of My Melancholy Whores by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (translated from Spanish by Edith Grossman)

I cannot claim to have wholly appreciated Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Memories of My Melancholy Whores, simply because, at twenty, I am too young to appreciate his character's life's longevity as well as his having never fallen in love. Heck, I can't even pretend to know the difference between mere sex and passionate love-making. But Marquez writes with such a passion that it reaches out to you and makes you feel it too, and for that alone my romantic self swoons.

I will always have a thing, so to speak, for male romantic writers, or men who write romantically, or boys who write down their feelings, and here was an almost-century-old columnist who decides to fuck a virgin on the eve of his 90th birthday - an understandable conquest for a man so widely known and respected in his community, but was secretly the resident Casanova for decades. The thing is, regardless of all things accomplished, he was lacking in something vital: he had never fallen in love, ever. And at ninety, would you even care?

But lo and behold, that is exactly what happens to him on his 90th birthday: he falls in love with the virgin prostitute (what an oxymoron) offered by the brothel of which he is a regular. But this girl is too tired with work and with taking care of her siblings that she is fast asleep - and he lets her be. He lets her be, again and again.

And this first love of his, it invigorates him to no end - "age isn't how old you are but how old you feel" - and both torments and teaches him things that, at the age of a decade removed from a century, one ought just reminisce about. But here he was, learning about love and all its trappings: "...love taught me too late that you groom yourself for someone, you dress and perfume yourself for someone, and I'd never had anyone to do that for."

As for the melancholia, there is much, because isn't it that where love is, there's bound to be a bit of heartbreak? Here, let me hint at it with this quote:

"I buried myself in the romantic writings I had repudiated when my mother tried to impose them on me with a heavy hand, and in them I became aware that the invincible power that has moved the world is unrequited, not happy, love."

Ah, young love - and yes, first, though aren't first loves the youngest of them all?

PS. There was this little gem of a quote that enlightened me about the difference between sex and love-making, and quite blunt, too: "Sex is the consolation you have when you can't have love."

Originally posted here.

Released 10 yrs ago (2/18/2011 UTC) at Given to the next BookCrosser on the list, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On its way to moonblue in South Africa - enjoy the book! :)

Journal Entry 29 by moonblue at Grahamstown, Eastern Cape South Africa on Wednesday, June 15, 2011
This lovely looking little book arrived today, after much complications with post offices and a long travel.

I am almost ashamed to admit that I have never read a book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, but hope to put that to right this coming weekend.

Journal Entry 30 by moonblue at Grahamstown, Eastern Cape South Africa on Wednesday, June 22, 2011
I have mixed feelings about this book. I can see that it is beautifully written but the content and main character irritated me so much.

I didn't see it as a love story, but as someone who has treated women as objects his whole life, who finally falls in love - but not with a real person, but with his fantasy of her. And a woman who he never has to deal with awake.

But I am glad I had a chance to read this. Now waiting to go on to the next person.

Journal Entry 31 by moonblue at Grahamstown, Eastern Cape South Africa on Thursday, June 23, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (6/25/2011 UTC) at Grahamstown, Eastern Cape South Africa

Posted to souram

Journal Entry 32 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Monday, July 25, 2011
Thanks Moonblue I found the book in my mailbox today.

Journal Entry 33 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Tuesday, August 30, 2011
I liked this book. My first G. García Márquez since Love at the Time of Cholera.

Journal Entry 34 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Wednesday, August 31, 2011
To be sent to vedranaster, as Lydiasbooks asked me to send the book to the next person of the list.

Journal Entry 35 by wingsouramwing at Genève, Genève Switzerland on Wednesday, August 31, 2011
Vedranaster gives up as well. So I'm the last on the bookray list.

Journal Entry 36 by wingsouramwing at Rue Étienne Dumont in Genève, Genève Switzerland on Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Released 9 yrs ago (12/6/2011 UTC) at Rue Étienne Dumont in Genève, Genève Switzerland

Surprise de Samichlaus Lâcher thématique: ancien nom de rue Etienne-Dumont = rue des Belles-Filles. Ancien nom de rue Maurice = impasse du Vieux-Bordel ! Je me retrouve lanterne rouge d'un ray (red light). Je relance donc. - Appui fenêtre en haut de la rue près de la Liszt Férenc tér (place Franz Liszt en magyar).

Bonjour, vous venez de capturer un "livre en liberté" !
Vous avez bien fait de regarder sur www.bookcrossing.com en utilisant le numéro BCID de ce livre.
A présent, vous pouvez:
- signaler votre découverte, avec une brève note
- donner votre avis sur le livre, à tout moment
- libérer le livre "dans la nature" ou le faire circuler plus loin (don, prêt...) quand vous l'aurez lu

Welcome to bookcrossing !
Bookcrossing ? register, read and release books, make the whole world a library.
Now you have found the book and you visited the bookcrossing site. You can write a short note to tell you found the book + write what you thought of the book (like, dislike) and later you can set the book free so it keeps traveling :)