The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Standard Edition

by J.K. Rowling | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by wingoppemwing of Hermiston, Oregon USA on 2/6/2010
Journal Entry 1 by wingoppemwing from Hermiston, Oregon USA on Saturday, February 06, 2010
This had been on my TBR pile for quite some time (not even sure how I came by this book). Anyway, having quite enjoyed all of Rowlings Harry Potter books I thought was time to read this one - VERY quick read but from an 'adults' point of view at least it was no-where near as good at the H.P. books.

Journal Entry 2 by wingoppemwing at Trumansburg, New York USA on Monday, July 19, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/19/2010 UTC) at Trumansburg, New York USA

Sent as winning book to one of 3 winners in My Lucky Week RABCK. Thanks for taking part & hope you enjoy the book.

Journal Entry 3 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Monday, July 26, 2010
Thank you so much! I hope to read it to my little brother (or maybe help him read it on his own.)

Journal Entry 4 by emmejo at Trumansburg, New York USA on Wednesday, December 29, 2010
Sorry this review has been a long time coming. I kept hoping my little brother would change his mind and want to check out these stories, but he's seemed stuck in an anti-book rut that isn't gonna go away soon. :-(

These 5 tales are all constructed to sound similar to traditional fairytales with the twist of being told by wizards, but I found that most fell flat for me. "The Fountain of Fair Fortune" and "The Warlock's Hairy Heart" were alright, although bland. The rest felt like a waste of time (luckily they feature extremely basic writing and are very quick to read.)

Rowling has never had a way with words, but this was abysmal. The writing was choppy and stilted, with a tiny vocabulary (even for kid's stories) except where a thesaurus seems to have been used to stick in more interesting words that stick out like a sore thumb in Rowling's weak sentence structure. This book looks bigger than it is because of the large, double-spaced font with HUGE margins. If you put it into a normal-ish format this would barely qualify as more than a pamphlet.

Dumbledore's notes were obvious and uninteresting, with feeble attempts at wittiness that just made me wince.

HP diehards will probably find the scant few hints about the Wizarding World worth the quick stories, but casual fans will probably want to skip.

Journal Entry 5 by emmejo at NLLC (former OBCZ) in Ithaca, New York USA on Monday, January 31, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/30/2011 UTC) at NLLC (former OBCZ) in Ithaca, New York USA

Added to the bookbox.

Come to room 109 at the Henry St. John Building and pick out some free books!